SILLY THING [April]

SILLY THING Dance/performance number 160 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Sex Pistols   reaching number 6 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  12/04/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.22 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 143
Sue      143
Rosie    140
Patti     139
Gill       136
Lulu      135
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1npnf7_legs-co-silly-thing-totp-tx-12-04-1979_creation

Well we wait around ages waiting for Legs & Co to dance to Punk rock and then two come up in quick succession. I say Punk rock, well this is very much The Sex Pistols at the fag-end of their existence and both songs didn't sound all that threatening, in a punkish kind of way. For me this second performance was slightly down on `Something Else` from a month earlier.

Yes Flicks dressed them in punk style clothes, but im struggling this time to take all the attitude the girls are displaying with any degree of realism. After all, it was only a month since this card was played and we have it trust on us again. It doesn't help that Legs & Co are nice, well brought up girls, dare i say slightly posh, and here we have the sight of Rosie snarling at us. No it worked last time, but not for me on this occasion.

On saying that, the routine is very colourful and does possess a few moments to remember. Lulu's opening to the routine, were she pokes her tongue at us. I guess the funny faces the ladies pull do also raise a smile. But for me, my rating is only at `6.75 out of 10`.

For my DOTD, ive not voted for `Lulu` in 79 yet, so this seems a good time to do so.

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Paperboyplod
For this Sex Pistols dance routine, it's a wise move, to just have their jackets in the different colours, the ladies look heaps more classy with their natural hair colours, I know that the act their dancing to, is punk, but this track, just like Something Else, is not quite of that genre, more like new-wave, which for me seemed to be more sedate.
I really like the vigorous kicking about in the air, this routine, was a really enjoyable one to perform, I can tell that from afar.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Doubtless a fun change of pace for the girls but this isn't really my cup of tea.  I do like the colourful blazers and the jumps though so will give it a 5.5.

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Who's That Hurll
  But what about all those fantastic stills?

Re: SILLY THING [April]

I start off a little biased as I know Patti said she enjoyed these off-beat Punk numbers but this one is certainly a bit more of a challenge to watch.  I like the brightly coloured jackets and black leggings and the stills and synchronized high leaps are indeed quite good but I do find it a little disjointed as a result (even if that is the intention).  Also there is the crime of Pauline-concealment to consider here, even if slightly mitigated by excellent poses from the other ladies.  Anyway I agree with giving Lulu the DotD but can only award 6/10  despite the element of fun I'm afraid

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Gorgeous Daze
After throwing together an art student image the first time they tackled the Sex Pistols, Flick's right on the pulse again going for a post-punk fashion model look this time: and it's hot!. Shiny leggings with heels and matching jackets in a range of colours almost seen seconds previously on Showaddywaddy.

Amidst the attitude, the Silly face-pulling and the girls' familiar niceness shining through suspends the bad aura surrounding the Sex Pistols. Shrewd stuff, this was at a time when some shops (Boots for one) and radio stations had banned them and it was controversial for TOTP to feature them in any way. Legs and Co convince through not convincing as punks, you might say.

The subtle strobe-like production effect makes the whole routine like watching a hi-tech flick-book. It gives an edginess that counterbalances the clowning around, but I think it would have been better if it wasn't so pervasive. I like the jumps, they capture the liberating spirit of punk. But the freeze frames are held for too long, surely past the point of cool, and make this paradoxically one of the more dated Legs and Co routines.

Gill gets DOTD for her a'itude.   7.5/10

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Andeebee
I found this enjoyable and silly at times, but hey it was meant to be poking fun at the punk scene, which had died a death by then (see Sham 69 - still trying to hang on for dear life)

Regardless the whole thing is under-cranked, and it relies too much on the YTS boy pushing the still button in the control room, one point he got a wee bit overzealous.

The clothes, you can pretty much see these days adorning young girls' carcases, so yeah two fingers to punk.

A fun two mins or so, I rate this

9/10 - just for sheer silliness

DOTD, has to go to Gill this time round, she can sure fill that jacket out

Re: SILLY THING [April]

AC/PD
When fouls and penalties are given in football as a result of arm/hand obstruction when jumping, the plea for the defence is that it's impossible to jump naturally with hands down by the sides. The same could apply to the general dance tactic in Silly Thing. Hands in the pockets of those voluminiou, shrunken Showaddywaddy jackets has an affect on the upper body moves which consist of shoulder thrusting and not much else.
Seems quite a disjointed performance, accentuated by the haphazard stuttering image effect. Is this the first instance of freeze-frames being utilised on a Legs & Co. dance routine?
The ladies themselves look pretty smart, with the rolled-up jacket sleeves 5 years ahead of fashion schedule : their best moments being the kicks and the section where it looks as if they're juggling an imaginary ball on their thighs.
Lulu seems to be enjoying herself dancing to a none too punkish song by dint of the fact that it's not out of tune.
Yellow card for the overall routine. Sorry.
DOTD: Lulu

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Colm
If ever a dancer secured DotD for the first frame they appear in, it's definitely here for me, as I can't resist Lulu poking her tongue out - never has being "punk" been so cute and, well, tongue-in-cheek!

I like the different coloured jackets (bonus points to the producers for putting this on after Showaddywaddy - got to say, the girls do it better IMO) as it gives a nice timeless edge to this routine, but for me, the video freeze frame shots are slightly off-putting, and don't always stop where I feel they should.

Score: 7.5

Re: SILLY THING [April]

VintageVideos
The idea of a - literal! - routine to a song called "Silly Thing" is misgiving. No, hard as they may try, Legs & Co. simply aren't "Silly Things" even when they are grimacing or sticking out their tongues. So it's obvious that this routine just has to lack credibility - even more so when Legs & Co. aren't punkish at all: I mean, no safety pins, no Mohicans, no torn clothes....?

What's left is the attempt to make fun of it all and just be jolly. But it doesn't work. In the end they do look silly. And that is exactly why I don't like this routine.

4 / 10

DotD: I chose Patti because I think she's managed to look the least silly of all
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: SILLY THING [April]

I think this one,like the other Pistols' routine,is just great.I love the coloured jackets,the pogoing,the pointing at the camera,the leaping stills,and most of all the tongue poking,snarling attitude.To think the Sex Pistols started off all threatening and singing about anarchy,then ended up singing Eddie Cochran,and being danced to by Legs & Co.All that's left is the silly attitudes these punks had,which Legs brilliantly parody.10/10
DotD:Lulu

Re: SILLY THING [April]

PaulF
Not one of my favourites, but credit to Flick and the girls for mastering the art of staying still mid jump, must have taken a lot of practice 6/10

DOTD Lulu
Paul

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Lookmacinanger
Having looked back and reviewed Legs and Co routines since their inception in Oct ’76 the literal interpretation of a routine will never be far away from its next appearance! (But I’m not looking at my diary to check for the next one to come along).

Great energy in the dancing but there are just too many pauses for jumps and silly face pulling for this casual viewer. 7/10, Dotd Gill

Although there is something about this pose

I'll leave the last word to Miss Cartwright

Stu

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Stu
Good fun but there's not an awful lot to it... a bit like the song really.

6/10

DOTD - Patti

Stuey

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Mikey
"Oh you silly thing"!!, sounds like a pretty tame insult from an angry punk band, but i enjoyed the song more than the last one, from all of a month ago. With this, Sultans of Swing and Forever in Blue Jeans, we appear to be on a brief detour from the usual dancier records, and this provides some interesting results. Nice use of the coloured blazers, and i liked the light beams bouncing off that sculpture thing hanging overhead. Not only that but Legs and Co have now developed the ability to teleport just by jumping in the air, cool stuff indeed. The main contentious point are all the "silly" expressions, all a bit much really, for me Patti gets it spot on at 30 seconds in with her angry scowl and nonchalant kicking.

8.5/10 DOTD Patti

PS that sudden fade back to PP at the end was pretty bad, why can't they end the routines properly?

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Old Bill
It looks like they've just nicked Showaddywaddy's outfits as they left the stage.

I've never liked the Sex Pistols and especially here as Ryan says at the fag end of their stint of the swindle. Well past their best, or should that be worst?

As VV I think mentioned they do look a bit silly, as if they're trying to so hard to be punk but not quite getting it right. Although it made me think how long 'fads' lasted back then. After three years punk is still selling - now such a thing would be dead and buried in 6 months.

But I do prefer my Legs being silly rather than nasty, and to be honest they couldn't be nasty if they tried. The tongue poking out is as nasty as they get. And as cutely loveably silly. Mac has the two grabs I was going to go for.

The freeze-frames are clumsy and ill-thought out, and novelty wears off half way through the first one. But at least they pardon one from having to witness though high heels come crashing down from up high... my eyes wince at the thought of delicate ankles! And indeed the dents in the floor! haha.

Does anyone have any theories on what's going on at the start with Lulu's tongue-poking shot? It seems to cut to another shot of her doing the same, she looks to the side (presumably to the monitor - much I'm sure to Flick's annoyance!) and then crack in to the song. So was the first shot a pre-record? Why didn't they just stick with "live Lulu" longer...? Or is it some sort of glitch?

Anyroad. Nothing for me to see here... 5/10 and Dotd... hmmm Patti's cool or Rosie's sillines...? Soz chaps, it's gotta be bouncey-haired Lulu again.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Gorgeous Daze
Old Bill wrote
As VV I think mentioned they do look a bit silly, as if they're trying to so hard to be punk but not quite getting it right. Although it made me think how long 'fads' lasted back then. After three years punk is still selling - now such a thing would be dead and buried in 6 months
Not so sure there OB. In fact I often think how much faster the pop/fashion landscape changed in the good old days. If only rap had lasted as 'long' as three years. The way its going the wretched ubiquitous stuff looks set to still be around to collect its free bus pass.

Great work catching up today anyhow, always enjoy your reviews.  If I didn't know it's impossible I would say you must have overdosed on Legs & Co.

Re: SILLY THING [April]

For this routine we have the ladies dancing to the Sex Pistols again. We have them dressed in different coloured jackets and tight black trousers, and silver dance shoes. Not one of my favourite routines. The first shot as Lulu poking a tougue out. Then moves into the routine were the ladies are jumping a round to the song. We get freeze frame when they leap into the air. We see the ladies pulling faces. To make them look aggressive, this dos't work, because we no the ladies are so nice.

So we come to the Dotd so it must go to that opening and Lulu.

So the score is 6 out of 10.

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Old Bill
Gorgeous Daze wrote
Not so sure there OB. In fact I often think how much faster the pop/fashion landscape changed in the good old days. If only rap had lasted as 'long' as three years. The way its going the wretched ubiquitous stuff looks set to still be around to collect its free bus pass.
Ahhh yes, good point. And I suppose punk had actually just become mainstream by then and is still with us now, annoyingly.

Gorgeous Daze wrote
Great work catching up today anyhow, always enjoy your reviews.  If I didn't know it's impossible I would say you must have overdosed on Legs & Co.
Always fun to catch up, when time allows! But if that was possible... what a way to go! hehe!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SILLY THING [April]

Old Bill wrote
Does anyone have any theories on what's going on at the start with Lulu's tongue-poking shot? It seems to cut to another shot of her doing the same, she looks to the side (presumably to the monitor - much I'm sure to Flick's annoyance!) and then crack in to the song. So was the first shot a pre-record? Why didn't they just stick with "live Lulu" longer...? Or is it some sort of glitch?
Yes, i noticed that, it looks like an editing mistake. Notice Lulu's expression when she stands up, she looks fed up like something had gone wrong.