SINGALONG JUNK -- 22/11/1973

Singalong Junk
Performed by Paul McCartney
Original broadcast date 22/11/1973 Duration of dance - 2.36 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajFzYqFoHRk

Maybe this was the first karaoke record before karaoke was even invented! Back in 1968 Paul McCartney composed a song called "Junk" (with lyrics!), which wasn't used on any of the Beatles albums. As it was too good to go to the dustbin, Paul included it on his first solo album, simply entitled "McCartney", in 1970. "Singalong Junk" is an instrumental version of "Junk" which unlike many of the 12''-instrumentals of the early 80's is not just the same track without vocals but features a different, fuller arrangement.

This instrumental version is also the tune that Pan's People danced to in episode 5 of the third season of the "Two Ronnies" in November 1973 (incidentally on the same day that "Keep on Truckin'" was performed on TOTP). "Singalong Junk" is a dreamy routine with blurred edges and dropping leaves. While the girls are performing their dance moves, which just seem to be repeated over and over, they keep spinning in and out of our views.

We've had a few dances with recycled dresses in the past weeks, and here is another example. If you haven't noticed already, the costumes were of course reused more than a year later for "Help Me Make It Through The Night" on 02/01/1975. Which raises the question if Sue had to wear Louise's costume? Answers on a postcard please.

Like many others, I usually prefer the routines to faster numbers, but this dance does have a certain charme. The tune is very melodic and pleasant to listen to. I like how the colours of the studio setting and the costumes go together to create a nice dreamy autumn atmosphere. I also like the in-and-out moves and the group dancing in between, especially around the 2 min. mark. There isn't much variation in the dance steps, but somehow that doesn't bother me, because it suits the song very well.

This is a clip that I haven't watched very often in the past, but it has risen considerably in my estimation during the "heavy rotation" while I was preparing this write-up. It may not be a masterpiece but it's a fine chill-out routine and that's why I will rate it nicely:

9 / 10

As Dancer of the Day I will pick Louise for her sultry looks.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Andeebee
Another subtle slice of easy cheese danced to by Pans from the Two Ronnies.

One has to think that none of the routines match the tracks that they are danced to, this one in particular, a autumnal feel to a throw aside McCartney track on his eponymous debut LP.

But saying that, these 5 routines are quite unique in their way and miles better than the awful John Denver segments.

Nonetheless another catchy and glossy number by Pans on arguable one of the best light entertainment series in decades.

Scores: 9/10

DOTD: the sultry Ruth

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

PaulF
Sorry to say I found this routine to be repetitive and lacking a certain Pans excitement, probably just down to the music. Still good to see though and worth a 7/10.

DOTD The delectable Dee Dee
Paul

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

This almost disinterested, 'hands in the pockets', approach is certainly different.  Of course the meandering instrumental limits what can be achieved and there are certainly plus points in the unusual set and the costumes.  Those green velvet jackets are a winner every time they come out of the wardrobe.  I wonder if they were ever used for any of the cabaret numbers.
However, I'm rambling like the dance, to which I'm giving a generous 7.
And for Dotd.  Well it has to be Babs who has the mood to a tee.

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Hi, Mr Grumpy's back, sorry.  I find this one soporific and I find Sir Paul guilty.  The Dance does suit the music as does the dreamscape but I keep finding myself dreaming of a leaf-blower and this is not conducive to enjoyment.  The ladies look good but we don't get close enough for my liking and the incessant spinning is just a little bit tedious.  It is quite a contrast to the other 2R performances but I'm afraid I don't find a lot to redeem it other than the costumes and the ladies staying right in character for the whole piece.  I do like some slow numbers but not this one and I might even suggest sacrilegiously that this one might have been better with chaps as Dance partners for the ladies (don't shoot me boys!)  Anyway I can't give more than 5/10  and I am in agreement with Babs having exactly the right expression which I would call "mild ennui" and hence she's my DotD too

Update; may I say that I just listened to the Junk song itself (which I didn't recall) and find it way better than the instrumental version so please don't banish me from the Realm good Sir Paul

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Couldn't the camera operator have wiped the lens a bit, it's gotten all foggy in places, but I think that we could see enough though, which was really just each dancer taking their turn, to emerge for the left behind the camera, give a smile, & twirl, but all that did though, was emphasise that the two halves of the standard costumes, didn't really go too well together, the skirts looked like they needed a good ironing. & just one other thing, more of an observation really, how can you 'singalong' to an instrumental track?

5/10

DotD:-

Babs

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Hats of to Flick. The routine she devised for this matched up very nicely with the song, the only problem is both the routine and song were tedious to the extreme. In between the yawns i can only muster up `4 out of 10`.

`Louise` for DOTD>

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Gorgeous Daze
A restful piece of music and not without its charm. This dreamy interpretation suits it well. On what resembles a solidified cappuccino the girls drift around like leaves caught in a gentle eddy. It's peaceful and reflective, but with their listless movements  and hands at pockets, and above all their bored, wan faces it's also a little depressing. Winter may be coming, but then there's always Spring, and for me this required an injection of warmth and a little more life. Such as when we finally get some nice formation twirling when the piano is at its prettiest.

Not a hair's breadth between them performance-wise, but Louise catches my eye most for DOTD.  6.5/10

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Colm
Sorry chaps, but I've just watched this routine and found it boring. The dancers look a tad fed-up, and while I admire Flick's choreographic approach and the staging, it doesn't work for me.

As I might as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb, through my eyes, Babs looks incredibly bored, and doesn't seem to muster much of an effort at all - she often appears to be quite out of step with the other four. Or maybe I'm not appreciating her approach to the dance, or how she was directed by Flick, in the same way you guys are.

Score: 5

DotD: For those too-brief glances at the camera, Louise

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Mikey
The most avant garde performance so far i think, and certainly an odd one for The Two Ronnies when the other routines were more upbeat. The music here is rather lovely and I get the impression Flick has tried to create a sort of dream sequence with the ladies meandering through an autumnal wood as if in a trance. The movements at the start are seemingly quite random and moving backwards in circles is never an easy task. Some of the group sections do look a little messy, Babs is out of step here but it kind of matches the mood i guess. Maybe this wasn't one they spent much time over which is a shame as i think the ideas are there but the performance lets it down in the end.

7/10 DOTD Dee Dee

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

BeautifulBabs
Likes
soft focus of floor
simplicity
Babs big haired tousled look
outfits
music in waltz time 3 beats to a bar unusual for a pans dance

not so good :
missing fun factor
dee dee manages a smile but no one else
bit too simple
girls overdressed
leaves you with "is that it?"feeling
too easy for a pans shift

6.5 and babs dish of the day

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

PattiForPM
BeautifulBabs wrote
leaves you with "is that it?"feeling
You've hit the nail on the head again BB if I may say so

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Old Grey Whistler
This is quite artistic in some ways and very gentle and relaxing.  It is one of those images that could be put on to an anti stress DVD. The problem is that it isn't really what I want from Pans People and it is probably one of their least memorable performances. I won't pan it completely (no pun intended) but I think 6.5 out of 10 is about as high as I can go.  DOTD for her sultry looks to camera is Louise.

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

VintageVideos
This routine is obviously not a firm forum favourite. I admit to liking it quite a bit but maybe it's down to my stressed nature at the moment that I find this performance delightfully relaxing.

Anyway thanks for all your comments and thanks for bearing with me while we went through some of the non-TOTP dances (part 2 will be due some time later). It's not too late to comment on this one though, and as a gentle nudge I'd like to remind you that only members who rated every single routine will be eligible for the "club members" section of the new rating table which I will post next Tuesday.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

PansLegs
[compact critique] Simple but effective visual with choreography that matches the instrumental well, although some individual moves appear a bit random. This has an art feel as does much of the In Concert. Nicely done but not particularly memorable. 6/10, Cherry DotD for slightly more bounce and flow to her steps

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 1973

Doc
The Pans equivalent to stress relieving elevator music. Ideal for someone that can't take too much excitement. Positives: somwhat arty, pretty girls spinning round, calming. Negatives: quickly gets dull but it's OK for about 90 seconds or so. 7/10.
Dotd: No one really stands out but Dee Dee looks nice in this one.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 22/11/1973

Wow! The ladies look so beautiful in this routine and although it's a slow number they still dance elegantly.
Rating: 7/10
DOTD: Louise

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 22/11/1973

Everything'sRosie
This one's not for me, I'm afraid. Almost like we have three minutes to fill so just do anything while the Two Ronnies' fans make a cup of tea. Having said that, I like the autumnal set and its effective use. But too slow. Too dull. Will be a long time before I watch it again.

Marks: 5/10

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 22/11/1973

Dancer
Sorry VV.  I did not realise I had this or that it was by Paul McCartney.  A lovely piece of music.  His instrumentals were really good.  I enjoyed his Crossroads theme too in the seventies.  I think the girls danced beautifully to this and it is very relaxing to watch (as well as listen to).  I will award this dance eight out of ten and the best dancer is awarded to Louise.  It would be ten but this does have the knack of sending me to sleep which is far from ideal.

Re: SINGALONG JUNK -- 22/11/1973

Seems the vid may have been removed from YT, unless it's a temporary access issue. Good it's also on OFTDs.

Vignette city, ethereal early 1970s. Quite nice, typical if the times, but really just a group of pretty girls gliding in and out of shot. 6.75 for me and no DOTD as all were good and no standout or solo.