Quantcast

SIR DUKE -- [April]

SIR DUKE (April) 77 Dance number 32 by Legs & Co
Performed by Stevie Wonder and reaching No 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 21/04/77 Duration of dance 2.43 mins
Dancers-- Gill,Lulu,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Lulu 32                      Pauline 32                 Rosie 32
Sue 32                       Patti 29                     Gill 29
Something to look out for -- Note how the only object that moves in the audience during this entire performance is Tony Blackburns left hand, (No i cant phrase it any other way) !
A link to the dance--https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlH-ilK--Cg

Alas no Patti, but the girls put in a very classy and polished performance, in very shiny silvery dresses. This routine has certainly benefited from the recent TOTPs re-runs, the upgrade in picture quality as made it easier for us to identify certain things. An example of this is the pink ankle socks, not sure if i noticed them on the old grainy clip.
    One thing we cant escape from is the comatose audience, but once again i will not let this cloud my feelings towards the actual dance. As for the song, well Little Stevie isn't on my play list very often, but this one is a pretty decent offering. Anyway, the rating i shall award this one is 8.5 out of 10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

bucksby
I like this and I prefer it to the Chrismas day routine. Good fun number and it shows a nice bit of class in front of the drab audience. 8 out of 10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Paperboyplod
This is another of those dance routines that has been spoiled by the rather imposing presence of the audience in camera shot, & surely the only reason for the distinct lack of movement was that they were simply mesmerised by the quite magnificent dancing by the world's premier dance group, & the silvery dresses with their sparkly affects by the studio lights obviously stunned them so much that they all just had to be seated throughout this performance!

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Neat how Flick has choreographed the dance for a small area since there were only the five girls that week and the limited space adds a certain extra energy to an already delightful routine.
But as for that audience and their comatose stare,
Why instead of whooping and hollering they do nought but glare,
Well they do miss out on that saucy view
That the rest of us enjoy at one fifty-two!

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

The audience were so comatose they managed to clap at the end without moving their arms or hands!

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

This is great fun with a sort of circus feel to it (apart from the cardboard audience everyone has mentioned) and the ladies look ultra-fine in their silver dresses and pink socks.  Sue definitely takes the lead in this one and does sterling work indeed.  Another one of my biggest Patti misses but mainly because her colleagues excel in this enjoyable routine so I have to give 9/10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Lookmacinanger
What a perfect fit, after Legs and Co last performance to Stevie Wonder’s ‘I Wish’ which lost me, this performance is right on the money.
The ladies look beautiful in their showgirl dresses and the routine is a fun and lively a perfect accompaniment to Stevie’s musical tribute to his heroes. 9/10

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Floid Fan
This is a very good dance routine with even variety of step combinations that will hold anyone's interest.  Sue does some good work in this one. A great tune too. One of the better Legs routines I've seen.  8.5 out of 10.
Carl

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Stu

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Stu
I'm surprised the marks aren't higher for this one, I think it's brilliant, from the moment the gorgeous Pauline comes into focus until the final synchronised salute it's chock full of tight intricate moves that go so well with this Stevie Wonder classic. One I can watch over and over again, I can't fault it. My first top marks for the evening.

10/10

Stuey

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Andeebee
9 for me - just the 9 for Sue's rear skirt flick........thud - that's me hitting the floor
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

LNV

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

LNV
I agree wholeheartedly Stuey that ‘Sir Duke’ should be placed in the highest ranking among those Routines awarded a top score of 10. One of the very few that can challenge ‘Suspicion’ or ‘Maid in Heaven’ to being at the very top, the first above all others. It is worthy of such a position. It is a team performance without many equals, quite possibly THE Team performance. A unified showcase of Legs & Co’s brilliance as a dance troupe. Without Patti, whose absence is not noticeable. And whether that is seen as a friendly remark or not, it is an undeniable fact, though others are welcome to dispute my claim. It is one of the unanswerable “what ifs” questions as to Patti’s presence would have made it work as it does or rather any formation other than five. Was five the correct number of persons needed, would it have the same group balance or impact with less or more dancers?  Or am I making what happened to be, make fit into a theory? There are five pieces in this jigsaw whether by accident or design and who are as one; they present the complete picture of a fun filled dance to us. It is a sprightly dance, that rolls along with all the ingredients of good natured charm, saintly sexiness and a smidgen of saucy humour which unfurls effortlessly in a life affirming Legs & Co presentation, who when at such a peak of their powers as here, cannot be bettered.

10/10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Old Bill
Gotta agree with the LNV & Stuey - I thought this would be a top-ranker too. It's a blinder!

Firstly it's a great song to dance too, Lil Steamy Windows does them a right favour. Not that they need it of course as we've seen on many occasions. The smiles and sparkley dresses just scream out fun times at you!
And what perfect dancing. Top stuff.

I love Sue's solo when the other 4 provide a perfect background.

I did spot one audience member clapping away - before realising it was Blackers. I do wonder when they're like this - as had been mentioned before - if they've been told to sit still and shut up? Perhaps floor mics were open to catch the hand claps?

Even with no Patti this gets 9/10 from me.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

VintageVideos
Pauline's smile was never brighter than in the first seconds of this routine. Very charming performance with some surprising handclap sounds. Oh how I'd love to be in the studio watching this! The combination of a great tune and a great dance, deserving 9.5 out of 10.
I don't know if it's cloudy or bright

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Doc
The audience in this dance is extraordinary. I can understand them being mesmerised, I know I would have been. But some of the men actually start looking around the studio! What is wrong with them, don't they know this is probably the best 3 minutes of their lives.
The girls dresses look like they have been made from bacofoil, but look good all the same. The dance itself and I particulary like the way they almost arrogantly dance away after having flashed the cameras, the music helps to add to the impression. I think this just sneaks a 10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Who's That Hurll

'Sir Duke' is a routine I first saw on TOTP2 and it still impresses today. I don't mind the audience being static; they're all transfixed by our silver sprites working their magic in the circus big top.There really is so much crammed in to this one performance.

9.5/10   DOTD Sue.
WTH

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

L&C4me
8.75/10 - DOTD Sue

Nice dance and song by Stevie Wonder

Here are some of the loveliest of smiling faces performing in a nicely coordinated way. The shimering/shiney silver outfits add nicely to their dance. Although I like this one, I prefere the Christmas 1977 TOTP version when Floyd provides a funny helping hand. In defence of the 'comatose audience' I though I'd try putting myself in their place and came up with this:

If I was in the presence of such a performance by these angels, I'd probably be so preocupied so as not to realise my demeanor. Although my jaw would probably be on the floor.

On reflection, our ladies were so good that the audience were put in a trance...
Jim

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Old Grey Whistler
Another really good performance from Legs & Co who were on top form during this time.  Looking at this routine, I find it hard to believe that they had only been together as a troupe for 6 months, such is their confidence.
Much has been mentioned of the comatose audience. I just wonder if they were instructed to sit still as they were  sat very close to the girls, and maybe there was some worry that if they were moving too much, they could cause a distraction either to the girls themselves or the TV viewers.  It is hard to imagine why they would be so still otherwise.
It's a great song and  there is lots of good movement from the girls. I particularly like Sue's solo and the combo between Lulu and Rosie. I will give it 9 out of 10.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

A great fast fun routine and, having consistently thought I preferred the later Sir Duke, I'm surprised to find I'm giving this a 9 with Sue for the Dotd.

Re: SIR DUKE (April) 1977

Colm
By rights, I should take away marks for Patti's absence, and the audience's shocking inertia.

But... I love the song, and I adore this routine. Everyone plays a blinder here, especially Sue with her solo spot, and (as I'm still convinced she does) her mouthing the words at the end.

Got to do it. Score: 10