Quantcast

SIX

VintageVideos
Forty-one years ago, on 25/09/75, Mary & Lee joined Pan's People for the first time, performing "I Only Have Eyes For You" on TOTP:

SIX TIMES: This was the sixth time that a member of Pan's People left and was replaced by another member (or in this case, two other members). Don't believe it? Here's the rundown:
March 1967: Felicity Balfour leaves, Ruth Pearson joins
December 1967: Penny Fergusson leaves, Louise Clarke joins
March 1968: Lorelly Harris leaves, Andrea Rutherford joins
October/December 1972: Andrea leaves, Cherry Gillespie joins
May/June 1974: Louise leaves, Sue Menhenick joins

The host of the 25/09/75 show was Tony Blackburn, who introduced the debutants with the words, "As you probably know, Babs from Pan's People has got married. It's my pleasure to welcome two new members, Mary and Lee!" This intro probably started the urban legend that it needed two new dancers to replace Babs

SIX DANCERS: After Mary & Lee had joined, Pan's People were a six-piece again for the first time since early 1972 (the last known routine with Flick was "Mother And Child Reunion" on 24/02/1972). I always considered the six piece formation as superior to five members. I mean, how else could you have three pairs of dancers?

SIX WORDS: Appropriately enough the title of the first routine performed as a six-piece consisted of six words. Of course, "I Only Have Eyes For You" could be interpreted as a request to viewers to turn their attention to the new girls.

SIX WEEKS: The new lineup performed for just six weeks: I Only Have Eyes For You (25/9), Who Loves You (2/10), No Woman No Cry (9/10), Island Girl (16/10), Hold Back The Night (23/10) & Rock On Brother (30/10). All of these routines have survived on home recordings, but unfortunately none of them is publicly available (not counting a rehearsal of Island Girl). On 13/11/75 Noel Edwards officially announced that Dee Dee had retired from Pan's People due to a "recurring problem with an ankle injury".
Those six routines contain some of my absolute favourites, which makes it even more sad that this period of Pan's People had to end so soon.

SIX MONTHS: After Dee Dee's last routine, Rock On Brother on 30/10/75, Pan's People would exist for exactly six months longer until their final performance in Silver Star on 29/04/76. Many feel that once the last of the founding members, Babs & Dee Dee, had left, the magic had gone and Pan's People just weren't the same anymore. But looking at our table of average ratings, we find two performances from the final incarnation of Pan's People in the Top 10 and another two in the Top 20. Even though I dare say that the placings in the table would change radically if all of Pan's People's routines were publicly available, it still shows that the last line up is actually quite popular on this forum.

Now, having read all this, is it pure coincidence that Sue's debut on TOTP was on 06/06?

Another six months on, and Ruby Flipper would be history as well, paving the way for Legs & Co. who would stay on TOTP for... five years – so that must be a different story!
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: SIX

Everything'sRosie
Love that photo, VV. I didn't know about the previous IOHEFY routine. Have the Christmas version, but looking through the archive it appears this earlier version was on a lost show . Being the huge Mary fan I am that's hard to take.

Re: SIX

VintageVideos
As I said, ER, the routine exists as a home recording (on the legendary "Vicar tapes"), and was shown on a Kal event a couple of years ago.
You'll find some of the recollections of attending members (and more) here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Kaleidoscope-Music-Event-Saturday-June-7th-Talbot-Hotel-Stourbridge-td4065479i220.html
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: SIX

Everything'sRosie wrote
Love that photo, VV. I didn't know about the previous IOHEFY routine. Have the Christmas version, but looking through the archive it appears this earlier version was on a lost show . Being the huge Mary fan I am that's hard to take.
Everything that is known to exist is listed here:
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/TOTP-ROUTINES-THAT-STILL-EXIST-AND-POSSIBLE-SURVIVALS-tp4009910.html
I think you'll find there's a lot of Mary that've you've not got.

Re: SIX

Everything'sRosie
Thanks for the links, guys. Had a good read up on it all. I used to go to the Kaleidoscope events when they were upstairs in Stourbridge library back in the 90s. Always great fun. Must have been a fantastic day when they revealed the vicar tapes.

Re: SIX

Interesting research Vin, and six has always been one of my lucky numbers!  As for Flick's last dance, about which there is still uncertainty, my list has her making eyes to a Sweet Talkin’ Guy.

Re: SIX

Sadly half of the Vicars tapes were only revealed to 15-20 people as it as a BFI event and you had to pay to get in. The second half was a better crowd as it was free.

Re: SIX

Suefan wrote
As for Flick's last dance, about which there is still uncertainty, my list has her making eyes to a Sweet Talkin’ Guy.
May I ask you why you think she was still an active dancer when STG was performed?
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: SIX

AC/PD
Dee Dee's recollection in the PP book is that  "In April, Flick gave up dancing with the group..."
Looking at Vin's PP list, Flick would most certainly have been available for the March routines for Floy Joy and Without You.
The Sweet Talkin' Guy routine is listed against the 'either'/'or' dates of 23/03/72 and 13/04/72.

Re: SIX

Dancer
This reads really lovely and likewise the above photo too.  The girls hair look stunning.   The attachment you gave made equally fantastic reading.  Wish I had gone to the Kaleidoscope event now as it is just down the road from me but then best not or I would have run off with the vicar's tape.

I have Island Girl twice and I am unsure which is rehearsal or both are rehearsals.  I presume it is the end where Ruth looks at the others as they put their hands up as if it was the actual show she would not have done that.  I remember Island Girl being performed and the others but not the intricacies very well.

From recollection one of my Island Girl routines has a camerawoman screaming over the top but the full version I have is where Noel Edmonds introduces them.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: SIX

VintageVideos
Dancer wrote
I presume it is the end where Ruth looks at the others as they put their hands up as if it was the actual show she would not have done that.
That is the rehearsal version.

Dancer wrote
From recollection one of my Island Girl routines has a camerawoman screaming over the top
That is also the rehearsal version.

Two slightly different rehearsal versions exist. Both use the same footage, but one has the original audio while the other has been re-dubbed with a stereo version of the song.
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: SIX

Dancer
Many thanks again VV.  I have just been and watched it and Noel Edmonds is dubbed out.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: SIX

Dancer wrote
 Wish I had gone to the Kaleidoscope event now as it is just down the road from me but then best not or I would have run off with the vicar's tape.
You wouldn't have seen Island Girl at that showing as they missed it out, along with Hold Back The Night. It was shown a year earlier as part of the Levine tape (It's survived on 2 tapes!). Hold Back The Night has never been shown by Kaleidoscope.

Re: SIX

Dancer
I would have liked to have seen the others though Doc to put some flesh around the bones.  I vaguely remember Hold Back the Night where the girls or Dee Dee on her own goes down down down to the floor to "hold it, hold it, hold it".  I find it unusual that some people went and did not want to watch some routines where you had to pay.  I would have paid £500 to have seen those.

My only issue now is with Who Loves You and No Woman No Cry - which one of these were the girls facing the wall?  I get the feeling it is the instrumental break in Who Loves You.  I have notes on my sleeves but they are the white sleeves and I reckon they have been mixed up over the decades.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: SIX

Doc
It wouldn't have been No Woman No Cry as that was filmed using a 'green screen' to allow for loads of special effects.

Re: SIX

Dancer
Thanks Doc.  I am leaning towards Who Loves You then.  The routine started partially through Who Loves You but that instrumental break from recollection was so lovely.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: SIX

In the early days of the blog I hunted out some very old notebooks in which I had been wont to make the odd jotting on just about anything under the sun.  These very occasionally included mention of a Pans routine and as such the info found its way into the list I was then compiling, the Legs part of which formed the basis for my Legs Lists.  As they weren't diary entries exact dates are debatable though.

Re: SIX

VintageVideos
Thanks Suefan, that's very interesting. I have some handwritten records from the early 70s myself (mostly charts), and generally found them quite accurate when I had the chance to compare several decades later. So your notebooks mention Flick in "Sweet Talking Guy"? I would be willing to enter this into our PP list then. Is there a chance to help with the actual date of the performance?
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: SIX

PattiForPM
This is an ingenious Thread Vin; I like your sixes (with Legs being my favourite six of all) but I am quite a fan of fives (like my favourite Pans period and some of my favourite Legs Dances such as All Right Now, Don't Push It and Supernature)

Re: SIX

CoffeeThing
Really enjoying this thread. Great info and fantastic photo. A real reminiscence thread, love it.