SLOWHAND [September]

SLOWHAND   Dance/performance number 291 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Pointer Sisters   reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  03/09/81  Duration of performance 3.00 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Rosie, Sue.
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 291 dances/performances

Sue      270
Rosie    267
Gill        260
Lulu      260
Patti     259
Pauline  231
Anita      24

This is one of those routines from 81 that i seldom used to play, mainly because the quality of footage back then wasn't great. All thats changed with the BBC4 treatment and now i more on board with it. I cant say im a fan of the song, but the visuals make up for that. Some interesting dance moves, love the hand on the shoulder of the girl infront stuff and the arms around the waist of the girls whilst gyrating those hips. Oh and not forgetting those dresses, which seem to be one size only, hence Rosie's appears to be half an inch shorter again. A great vantage point to watch this must have been in that central pit, have we seen that before or since, ive cant say ive ever noticed. One minor gripe from 81 is the shoes were often flat, i think that was the fashion back then, but the five girls would have nailed this even better in heels.

Anyway, its enjoyable to watch and a very good routine. But for me it doesn't hit the heady heights of some we have had during this splendid year of dances. So im at `9 out of 10`.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Legsfan
I like this routine especially the camera shots within the crowd make this one feel quite special. Rosie's at it again with her legs! Surely by now they would realise one size doesn't fit all, or have they had so much positive reaction before that they decided to keep the short stuff! I ain't so keen on the song either, but the routine in general is great.
Rating: 9/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

In this routine we have no solos at all. It is a team effort of slow sexy movements through out this routine. This is done on a high circular stage. With the audience look in up at our ladies. The ladies are wearing short gold dresses. That show off them wonderful legs.

So the Dotd must go to the leader of this team. And that must go to Sue.

And must be another high score 9 out of 10.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

VintageVideos
For once I fully agree with what Peter Powell said, "Without Legs & Co there would be no show". It's slightly ironic to hear those words now, knowing that L&C would only last a few weeks after that.
The dance and the costumes are to my taste, I do not really miss the solos here. However I find the audience a tad too intrusive, and the early fade is another minus point. Again one of the girls is making a slight mistake near the end, but I won't say who.
All in all a good performance with still some room for improvement.

8 / 10

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

I like this Dance a lot.  I do like the Pointer sisters too and Slowhand is smooth just like these lovely ladies.  The gold and silver dresses are very attractive indeed and for those who have not seen the TOTP album sleeve, Patti would have been in gold too   I particularly like the togetherness of the Troupe here as Ryan mentions.  I find Lulu utterly stunning and have to give her DotD even though everyone else looks great to me too.  It's not quite a tenner but definitely 9/10 and I agree with Vin that it's ironic that Mr Powell agrees with me that TOTP ended in October 1981 (with a brief resurfacing in December)

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
We have Rosie back on top expression form....Sue's stunning shimmies....But DotD is Gill whose movements are sublime. out of 10.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Everything'sRosie
Fantastic routine. Whenever I hear this song from now on I will think of this dance, the two cannot be separated for all time. Excellent choreography, every line is perfectly interpreted. Smooth, slinky and...so evocatively slooooow. And just when it can't get any better we get those shimmies. The girls are heavenly in this and I have no hesitation in bestowing classic status upon it. Yet another highlight of 1981. Peter Powell says love it, love it, love it. And I'm with him. One of my favourite Legs routines and I'm somewhat surprised to be the first to award this a stonking big TEN

DotD: All the girls look to be enjoying themselves but that saucy look from Lulu as they link arms does it for me.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Suefan
ER has summed this routine up very well and while perhaps its not a strong ten its still a maximum.  Great outfits, smashing choreography and, for once, an intrusive audience which adds rather than subtracts to the viewing.  So its another 10 from me.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Colm
So many delightful parts to this routine: the audience involvement front and back, those gold-silver-bronze dresses which immortalised the show's album cover (which thankfully include Patti), and those smooth sequences, especially the linked arms.

DotD: The smiles put Sue at the top of my list

Score: 8

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Gorgeous Daze
One of my favourite editions of the year slows the pace for some night moves with a sensuous musical mood lingering over from the seventies. It's a strange set up, bringing a hole new meaning to the term captive audience. The unusual metallic mix of costumes are though an unalloyed success for me and it's another highly polished performance, one that in hindsight makes dropping them soon in favour of a circus of unknowns all the more ill-judged. It's not easy to kindle excitement when the song's call is to put the brakes on and this is finely nuanced in an age still where lover superficially had an indistinct definition. It's tasteful, a visual relaxant of smooth synchronisation . With gentle gyrating, tactile sinuous lines, muscles melting like butter, heads in profile angled to the stars as was in Fashion last year, and, of course, slow hands. Smoking along warmly before taking permission to ignite towards the end. The camerawork is very good apart from too long spent on shots with the audience around the perimeter circle intervening. This is a minor factor as to why I can't savour this one's pleasures quite as I somehow feel that I should. I can't fully account for it but perhaps as the popularity of Hold On Tight recently demonstrated sometimes a quickie is all you need.

7.5/10.  Lulu's having and giving the most fun, she's my  DOTD.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

AC/PD
I wonder if it broke Michael Hurll's heart to jettison Legs & Co. at a time when their performances were far more worthy of contract extensions than P45's. Addtionally, they could survive and indeed flourish after a highly successful change of personnel in the line-up. Alas, it wasn't to be and Slow Hand serve up yet further evidence that the Legs & Co. vehicle still had plenty left in the tank, thank you very much.
An easy and an easy amalgamation with the audience for this particular routine and it's appropriate that the 'visionary' set and stage provides an opportunity for a lowered section from which the pupils in the audience can eye up Legs & Co. , adding their own golden pigment to the iris.
Easily enjoyable, the only real fly in the ointment is visionary impairment of the legs themselves, something for which an optician would prescribe a lower level outer edge or higher strength camera lenses.
such togetherness in the dance troupe brings with it the 'happy' dilemma of choosing a DOTD for there is no blindingly blatant candidate. However, Rosie edges it in the captivation stakes...and I'm sure her legs get longer with age.
9/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

This is possibly one of my faves from 81, fantastic song and equally fantastic performance from our lovely ladies. I like the circular doughnut style dance floor and feel it works well with the audience on both the inside and outside, what a view they must have had of the girls wearing those skimpy metallic costumes! Some nice moves too, and i really do like the hands around the waists while gyrating parts.

Rating 10/10

DOTD is tough, but i'm going with Rosie

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Doc
At least Legs mostly finished their TOTP career with decent songs and dances, Birdie Song apart! This is a very good one and a nice sultry dance to go with the song. 10/10.
Dotd was won in the first two seconds, Sue is smoking hot in this one!
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Old Grey Whistler
It looks to me as though they are dancing on a giant Compact Disc, especially with the lighting shining down in different colours.
I often find that routines grow on me and I like them more after repeated viewings. They seldom go in the opposite direction, but for some reason I don't seem to like this as much as when I first saw it.  I think that's because I find the audience intrusive and distracting. I also don't think some of the camera work is that good and the lighting isn't that great either.
Nothing wrong with the dancing (Was there ever?) but as a production I think this could have been easily improved.
My score is 8.5 out of 10 and DOTD is Rosie.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Dancer
Really loved this dance when I first saw it and equally enjoyed the song.  The Pointer Sisters were not really as big here as they were in America and their voices really were fantastic.  Their rendition of Bruce Springsteen's "Fire" was just lovely.

The dance was well interpreted and I will award this one nine out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Sue.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

The stage set's not too far removed from looking like that of a club where "exotic" dancers ply their trade, but thankfully Legs & Co., perform in a much more tasteful fashion, the ladies are looking sexy, but also very stylish with that, the audience does get in the way a tad, but I'm more in awe of the great views of the girls, that these spectators wouldve had available to them!

DotD:-

Rosie

Rating:-

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Mikey
So easing into their final normal (ish) month, and still Patti less (boo!!) its a right old end of the night slowy this week. A slow song equals a slow dance naturally, curiously on what looks like a giant pineapple ring, a lucky bunch of punters get to stand in the middle part while the rest get a front row view. Nice the see the (ahem, rather short) gold, silver and bronze dresses as worn on the cover of the recent TOTP album, put to good use. Its a nice dance of course, particularly the linking arms and swaying giving a sense of unity, but we have seen so much more from other routines this year (such as Hold on Tight the previous week) and on balance i can only give it a 7.5/10. Rosie for DOTD.

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

brandonb
9/10 DOTD: Gill

The song doesn't irritate me too much - the routine and costumes are all great... and yes the audience is in the way a little but I envy those with a view from the central pit... Funny to think what this would look like if it were happening today. Unless the BBC banned it the central pit would be awash with mobile phones taking videos and pictures...

Peter Powell's remark about "there's no show without Legs and Co" is interesting. Of course I 100% agree with him - which is why I stopped watching entirely when they were no more after checking out a few Zoo routines and seeing where they were going with that. I also recall at the time feeling cross that they'd just been dumped with no explanation or anything - but put it down to "typical BBC".

It could be Peter Powell knew something and was trying to give the girls a boost - in which case good for him... but all speculation of course. I can't imagine those in the know making the decisions would have been too pleased by that remark - I expect the writing was already on the wall among the powers that be by this stage.

Another routine without Patti... boo! I'm sure she'd have looked and done well here.

DOTD as others have commented is really hard in this one as it is an ensemble piece and all are working together well. I think this is reflected by the fact that most girls have been picked as DOTD at least once... I'm throwing my lot in with Gill this time - I particularly liked her work on some of those smoooooth moves...

Re: SLOWHAND [September]

Remember slow dances at the end of the disco, sadly missed, but this was one of them you danced to awkwardly with some girl you fancied for 5 mins, and forgot her name later.

If this was a slow dance with Legs, it would hard to pick one of these definitely not wallflower girls, the choices

the agony.....

Scores: 9/10

Slowhander of the day: Sue
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue