Quantcast

SO LONELY [February]

SO LONELY Dance/performance number 206 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Police  reaching number 6 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  28/02/80  Duration of dance 2.45 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie,Sue

Pauline 187
Sue      186
Rosie    184
Patti     182
Gill       180
Lulu      178
Links to the dance

YT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjtemEHc0DI
Blog http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=493

This is one of those records that The Police released pre-success in 1978 and it failed to make the charts (along with Roxanne & I Cant Stand Losing You) i might add. Eighteen months later and Sting and the boys are riding high, with two number ones under their belt they re-release `So Lonely`. At the time this was my favourite single by them, such great lyrics, but it only peaked at number six. This was the only occasion Legs & Co danced to them as usually TOTPs would just select the promo vid. Not sure why this didn't happen on this occasion.

The routine itself does have a hot and cold feel about it, rather like my opinions of it. I do like all the jacket removing, dusting them off and then putting them back on. I very much like the choreography which matches the slow/quick tempo of the song. Love the dramatic faces the girls pull. The idea of chilly dry ice and the sun shining though the blinds works also.

I do not however like the fact we dont get to see much of the dancers close up. Not overly keen on all the shoe shots. The jury is also very much out on Pauline's hairstyle for the day !

DOTD -- Really its difficult to pick, but Patti just about err `nicks` it for me.

Rating -- I have to admit i seldom play this, though like i say i do like the song. I think im at about 7.25 out of 10.

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Colm
Don't ask me why, but this routine reminds me of an advertisement for deodorant.

And I like Pauline's hairstyle here.

DotD: As she gets plenty of focus here, Patti

Score: 7.5

Re: SO LONELY [February]

This is a great feel god dance routine, only spoiled for me by the constantly changing, & garish clour rendering of the disco lighting.
The ladies look like an aerobics class, this time Lulu's the teacher, but I'm not sure about their choices of footwear, that stage looks a tad treacherous, for stiletto heels, & it also looks a bit cramped there,
Also given the backing track title, this could've been a solo dance routine, for one of the girls.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Maybe it's the cool ambience, the detached sexy looks, the lovely form of these well-fitting outfits, Lulu getting those eyes going, Sue's matchless pins, Patti undressing several times in succession, Pauline's new haircut or Rosie's hair flying around dangerously in a confined space or just a song I like a lot but I really like this Dance even though it does exclude Gill a bit and could use some clarity and better close-ups.  I recall the original circulating example of this one was really dark and how thrilled I was to see a brightened up version so maybe that biases me too but I must give this one at least 9/10  as I really feel it gets the job done and for me this is Perfect Patti territory so I can't deny her DotD

Re: SO LONELY [February]

PaulF
Cant enthuse too much about this, poorly lit and a bit blurry (could be my poor old eyes), but the girls maintain their usual high standards despite those high heels. 7/10. I like Paulines hair.

DOTD Lulu
Paul

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Suefan
Another dance routine which fits the song well but I'm not convinced it needed all that moody lighting to give it extra edge... the ladies dancing, I would contend, being perfectly adequate in delivering that element of the vibe.  That, and the lack of clear close-ups other than those of Sue's feet, mighty fine though they might be, mean this doesn't feature often on the playlist so only a 7.25 with Pauline and her 'interesting' hairstyle Dotd.

Re: SO LONELY [February]

I can see and appreciate the good idea of trying to convey the loneliness and isolation in the lyrics.The girls are in their flat bouncing off the four walls.They get dressed up but find they are 'all dressed up and nowhere to go' and so in a rage tear off their jackets.I don't mind the lack of happy smiley close-ups because it makes more sense not to when trying to convey loneliness.The dark gloomy atmosphere is appropriate too.Proof that you don't have to smile and be happy to produce good art.
I don't often watch this routine,but based purely on what i've said above i'll give it an 8/10
DotD:Lulu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Lulu has a scary-eyed moment in a darkened room, her smile eradicating any feelings of whatever loneliness can be felt with five dancing friends in close proximity. "All made up and nowhere to go" seems to be the lyric around which the video-style routine is based, the increased dance speed signifying that feelings of loneliness can be enjoyable too.
The frantic increase in the dance moves unsettles at first, becoming more entertaining with each progressive viewing. Regarding the footwear, the white stilettos were fashionable at a time before being 'hijacked' and tarnished by the Essex fraternity. Rosie's frenetic dancing and post chorus struts are accomplished and eye-catching enough to earn a DOTD selection.
Regarding Pauline's hairstyle: slightly Pixieish, ears on show and shorter at the back...it suits the shape of her face so whichever South Molten Street hairdresser applied the scissors warranted a tip for their work.
7/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Gorgeous Daze
So Lonely, Salome, Sue Lawley, Sue lonely. It's not entirely clear through the cool blue of night and sulphurous haze of the day. But white high heels the director singularly wanted us to get a good look at place those feet solidly in the eighties along with the rest of the appealing look. If no-one's knocking it's because they have the wrong address. The girls are ridiculously hot to be brooding away their life behind blinds and thankfully so -  we wouldn't want them in dressing gowns. Thank Sting for all made up and nowhere to go.

Lulu would be taken for going stir-crazy at the beginning...were it not for a certain familiarity. The song is odd in being unrelentingly bleak but with an uptempo chorus which for a choreographer forces liveliness in misery. The moves are cool laced with angst in smouldering verses which combust into desire to get out and live and it works very well. There's a gritty determination rather than celebration to the fast parts which sits well with the words, though Lulu couldn't look much more pleased to be casting off her coat and that's fine too. I like the nonchalant strutting, true feelings betrayed by taking it out on their jackets! A special word for Patti for managing to make the thwarted frustration of retrieving her jacket from the floor a supreme piece of casual sensuality. In my opinion no-one else could have accomplished that quite like her. And chalk up another  for Pauline's haircut. A straight edge and new wave are a cool combination.

DOTD Patti.  Visibility is an issue but I'm opening the blinds and giving this 9/10

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Sue Lawley Sue Lawley Sue Lawley - continuing tradition with the rest of the programme, lets watch legs in poor lighting.

A police cell, or a hotel room, you decide as Legs sport the precursor to the dreaded Pedal Pusher.

Too much lingering on shoes, product placement by Clarks or Hush Puppies???, rather than dancer.

A ok routine, mired by strange coats off (aren't they hideous those jackets) dust off and put back on, no idea what it's all about, but some mood lighting only Ridley Scott would be proud of.

DOTD - Sue demonstrating the best headache acting

SCORES: 8.5/10

Re: SO LONELY [February]

L&C4me
8.5/10        DOTD Patti

I've gone for the gal with so much attitude that she is burning hot.

The set does seem to have limitations; including the the poor lighting and feeling of confinement. However, I love the white outfits on some of our dancers. These smashing outfits look great while the dancers are strutting their stuff during the chorous. It's a shame about lovely Gill hidden away at the back. I think Paulines shorter hair style suits her beautiful face in this.
Jim

Re: SO LONELY [February]

brandonb
7/10 DOTD - Lulu

Apart from the fact that I quite like Police usually (though this isn't one of my favorites) I seem to more or less go opposites with Ryan on this one.

I don't like the jacket business - I think it distracts from the routine and I don't think the jackets look very good - I seem to have a jacket problem with dance routines... maybe I'll see one eventually that works for me but it's not this one. POSSIBLY it may have worked better had we not been so close up with the camera shots. Seeing the girls taking jackets off and putting them on all in sync might have looked better than close ups of one sleeve coming off and one girl doing this. Not sure. Lighting is moody which I guess was intentional but didn't quite work as the blacks were too black. Should have had a blue light on the dark side of the stage then we could've seen what was going on while at the same time suggesting night/darkness. While as mentioned I'd have moved the cameras back for a better overall view of the jacket business I have to admit I quite like the shoe close ups. Maybe I have a shoe fetish? The costumes were I guess quite fashionable for this period though they do look somewhat street and lacking in glam for dancing outfits which may be why there is an aura of aerobics and deodorant ad perhaps (as Colm mentioned).

Overall not the worst routine we've seen I think. There are better and this has failings but nevertheless enjoyable. I would've liked it even better without the jacket routine I think (and less blacks).

Re: SO LONELY [February]

bucksby
always liked this Police song. The routine is too dark in places but when it lights up it reminds me of the Razzamatazz routine from 1981. DOTD Lulu, routine 7.

Re: SO LONELY [February]

VintageVideos
Good but not great.

7.5 / 10

Lulu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

The next routine the ladies are doing to is " So  Lonely " by the Police. Our ladies are in a large shed like set, with a erie kind of yellow lighting. Our ladies are wearing matching gear of white, yellow and black blouses and trousers and white court shoes you see many times. And jackets that could be removed easly. The routine start off nice and slow to a reggie beat. Then suddenly remove there jackets and throwing to the floor at fast pace in the chorus section of the song. Then picking it up from the floor and dusting it off with they hand, and placing it back on. This then was repeated everytime the chorus came. This is a good team routine with no solos.

We now come to the Dotd and most all the ladies were good but I vote for Sue.

My score is 8 out of 10.
Stu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Stu
Great song with an entertaining routine.

7.5/10

DOTD  Lulu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Old Grey Whistler
The lighting isn't all that it could have been ( although it ties in with the song quite well) and it all feels a bit claustrophobic.
The girls cope well with the sudden changes in tempo. The discarding and putting on again of the jackets ,which could easily have gone wrong, seemed to pass without incident.
I quite like this one, although it isn't one that I watch very often , so I will score it 8 out of 10.
Lulu catches my eye the most and gets DOTD.

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Mikey
A rather upbeat interpretation of this Police track I thought initially, yet I can’t help but smile at the energy and exuberance on display here, another fine example of the diversity on offer each week. The setting has me baffled, appearing to take place in a sort of futuristic sauna complete with coloured mood lighting for each section of the song (I think that was the idea) with added smoke wafting around. Back to the dancing, the jackets on/off approach is well thought out, and its blend of fast and slow sections gives a nice balance. Despite some initial reservations a few more views has won me over, 8/10. DOTD Lulu

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Doc
A bit too much like watching an episode of The X Files at the start (it's dark) but at least the lights do get turned up a little for the upbeat parts of the song. Shame about the lightiing as there are some good expressions on show including a few seconds from Sue (below), who's stuck in the background and lucky she is as I'd need a cold shower if she kept doing that.

There's also Rosie's look of despair and Patty's provocative brushing her coat clean to add to the highlights. After the initial disapointment of the lighting the more I watch this the better I think it is 9/10.

Dotd: There's some competition here, I've mentioned Sue and Patti, but I've got to give it to Rosie for her strut away from the camera in the choruses.

Re: SO LONELY [February]

Adorable Gillusion
6/10   DOTD...Lulu