SOMETHING ELSE [March]

SOMETHING ELSE  Dance/performance number 154 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Sex Pistols  reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  09/03/79  Duration of dance 2.00 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      138
Pauline 137
Patti     134
Rosie    134
Gill       130
Lulu      129
A link to the dance  http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26p1rh_legs-co-something-else-totp-tx-09-03-1979_creation

The first of Legs & Cos two routines to Sex Pistols numbers, the second will be coming up in April. I say Sex Pistols, but of course by this time they were no longer together. Indeed poor Mr Vicious, who sang on vocals (extremely well i may add) had only a month earlier passed away.
Im glad Flick dressed our gals up to look `punkish`, but in all honesty there is nothing remotely punk about the song, well not to my ears anyway. This is a record you could play knowing that your mum or granny wouldn't get offended (unless she flipped it and played the other side).
Although its only a short dance, 2.00 minutes flat, the dancers play their parts to perfection. All the moves are crisply executed, especially on those double beats. Yeah the wigs make ID difficult, but after a few plays they will become simple to see. If you are struggling, please refer to my ID thread on the forum.

For my DOTD, well i can look no further than the star of 79 so far `Pauline`. I guess her taking the lead role at the beginning of the routine and her strut will secure her a few more votes too.

For my rating, well Legs & Co once again show just how flexible and versatile they are. These ladies could turn their hands to any style of song/routine and simply nail it. This will become more evident over the next couple of years.

Legs & Co with attitude (part 1) gets `9 out of 10`.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

From where I'm standing, it looks like Legs & Co. got dressed in pitch darkness, for there seems no coherency with with garments go with which on each dancer, nothing matches at all, with any of them, & they're all wearing different coloured wigs, a rather strange interperetation of a punk rocker's theme for a dance routine, i may add.
The actual dancing's pretty ordinary, largely a straight dancing on the spot affair, once again everybody's heavily disguised in such a way, that makes it hard to uniquely identify each of the ladies.
Forgive me please, for being somewhat underwhelmed by this performance, although I guess that, there has been worse dance routines.

5/10

DotD:-

Pauline

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Tongues definitely in cheek here, and all the better for it.

DotD: Pauline

Score: 8.5

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

This one is just good old fashioned fun in more ways than one and yes indeed Pauline is definitely something else and cannot be denied DotD.  My eyes keep getting drawn to the Ventricular Fibrillation on the floor and back wall but these girls administer just the right Shock treatment and it is way more than the usual 200 Joules I'm accustomed to.  Sorry about that but I do like the whole vibe here and will give it 9/10  for pure entertainment even if the curtain comes down way too soon (I know it's the song's fault BTW!)

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Lookmacinanger
A legendary performance from Legs and Co to this epic cover version which appeared in The Great Rock and Roll Swindle. The mood of the era is captured in every aspect of the routine from the attitude in the dance to the detail in the costume, showing nice touches with the odd coloured shoes. The wigs really are somethin’ else with Patti lookin’ as though she borrowed one from the guys on Play Away. 9/10 Dotd Pauline.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Old Bill
Quite possibly good fun, and well danced. But this one doesn't tickle my fancy at all. Are they supposed to be punks? They seem to be a well meaning Daily Telegraph letter writer's idea of what punks look like. Or did look like 3 years earlier when punk was cool.
Anyways, of all the costumes ever worn, these ones are my least favourite. They look awful. Odd shoes!?
Apart from Lulu Wilcox that is. It would be impossible to make Lulu look awful, no matter what :-)

Too much of the dancing here reminds me of Spotty Dog from the Woodentops. And I hate the Sex Pistols.

So not much going for me here! Sorry all. 4/10. And Pauline "One of the cutest since I don't know when" Peters for DotD.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Andeebee
Fright wigs and closed toe Jesus sandals...god awful Pistols knees up tune...mmmm sexy......LOL

Good stab and very tongue in cheek jab at the long departed punk scene....together with snarls and frightful hair (looks like Patti got the short end of the straw and had to borrow some kid's candy floss)

Pauline is definitely the star of this but Rosie snarls remind me more of a Elvis lip curl, but overall not highly taken by this, but for me it's better than most dross on that edition.

DOTD: Pauline the punk

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Suefan
Another good dance performance from Legs.  They have really hit a very strong vein of form, just as well given the less than average appeal of most of the other acts in recent weeks.  This Eddie Cochrane song has that great driving beat of the early rock and roll years and as Ryan has said Sid V handles the vocals very well.  The costumes work in an odd sort of way, although not as well as for the coming Sultans number, and the dance fits the song very well so gets a 9.5 from me.
As for Dotd Pauline has to be in the running but in the end it came down to a choice between Sue and Rosie and I'm choosing Sue.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Bang goes Pauline's first Dotd clean sweep then. I really thought she was nailed on for it as well.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

PattiforPM
Yup the clean sweep is right up there with the 147-break, the 9-dart finish and no-hitter in baseball

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Adorable Gillusion
6/10   DOTD...Patti

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Sid Vicious provides a really tip-top vocal performance for a cover version an absolutely classic piece of Rock 'n' Roll from the late '50's. Thank heavens John Lydon was no longer on board to hinder the cover with his own vocal style.
Pistols + R&R would normlly point to leather jackets in the costume area and maybe those worn in the Off The Wall would have lessened the impact of the glaring colours on display.
It's an amusing performance but at times the dancing seems as flat as the shoes on their feet, slightly clumpy, although that may be part of the purpose. Timing looks a little off towards the end with unsynchronised leg placements and a stray head turn too but it's a good ending with the "come and 'ave a go..." gunslingers walk towards the camera. Earlier on, there appears to be an homage to Bruce Forsyth with the Thinker Pose in evidence roughly a minute in. Might account for the ludicrous 'hair' on display.
6/10
DOTD: Punkette Pauline

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

PattiforPM
I'm thinking you mean Off the Wall jackets, am I right PD?

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

JEZ
The dance and the song go hand in hand ,the only thing lets it down is im not a great fan of the sex pistols ,hoewever i did really like the song silly thing ,anyway an 8 from me

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Gorgeous Daze
Not forgetting DOTD Pauline, Jez!

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Oops. Thanks for pointing out my Jackson routine error, P4PM.
The only mitigating circumstances on offer are slight distraction at the thought of how well a mauve wig suits Patti, as seen in the Hair Today...thread.
She looks positively wild in that curly pink wig from Something else, but wild in the 'livid' sense of the word.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Gorgeous Daze
An impressive cover and vocals here, but let's not allow the years and this fun routine to rob us of the memory that Sid Vicious was vile and a thug. At the time of his death a few weeks before this he was on bail for almost certainly stabbing his wretched girlfriend to death. Understandably, that cemented the evils of the Pistols for many people who had first encountered them with Bill Grundy. Frankly, I'm not sure it was right that Legs & Co. danced to them at this sensitive time. There was going to be some flak whatever Flick devised, but at least the tongue in cheek approach was the best one. It would've helped dissolve a little of the nastiness. And in cleverly styling the girls like art students Flick did her bit to redress the tabloid caricature of punk.

Pauline's lookin' fine. I think she got the best wig. More close-ups were needed, especially with the ID issue. Gill and Sue are the most incognito for me. But again there was no hiding Patti! The dancing has a studied punky amateurism: anyone can be a Leg. Until they try it. Gunslingin' sans pistols is the perfect disarming note on which to finish.

DOTD Pauline - clinched it early doors.  7.5/10

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

VintageVideos
Although I understand why this routine may be criticized by some, I still think it's great fun and quite entertaining to watch. I'm not a fan of the Pistols and still less of vicious Sid, but the r'n'r classic is a good song to dance to. The colourful outfits just add to the fun. Not a highlight but good.

8.5 / 10

DotD: Pauline
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

PaulF
6/10 not one of my favourites, but nice to see DOTD Pauline standing out in this one.
Paul

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Great fun to watch,and a great record to dance to.I love the colours of the costumes and the wigs.The dancing is fine,with plenty of attitude.9/10
DotD:Pauline