SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

bucksby
a bit of sillyness but goes down well with me and I agree about the tongue in cheek comment. I also agree with the majority of the DOTD votes going to Pauline as she is the stand out in this routine and lovely green wig too! the routine gets an 8 although when I see it I think "pretty vacant " due to some documentary overdubbing that track onto it. (naughty!!)

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Old Grey Whistler
My musical taste is far too mainstream to embrace the Sex Pistols, although to be fair, their version of this song is not too bad at all. The dancing is not too shabby either, although their outfits are! Quite a quick tempo with some nice choreography and the girls do a good job with it, but not a routine that is going to prove too tough a test for a troupe as good as this one. All in all this is quite good but is memorable really only for their clothes, so I will score 8 out of 10 with Pauline as DOTD.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Mikey
The oh so serious punk movement was obviously the target of much parody, and here's Legs and Co's first foray into those murky waters. The song is actually a bit better than i first thought it might be but they must have run out of ideas pretty quickly once Lydon departed.

Those outfits are deeply unflattering and a bit loose fitting, i do like the wacky day-glo wigs though, were they picked up by Toyah a few years later?. Other than that the routine looks pretty good, liked the leaning back dance moves and the general nonchalant attitude shown.

A bit difficult to place this one, its fun but not the best, 7/10 DOTD Pauline

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Suefan
The song dates from the 1950's Mikey which accounts for it being fairly good!

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

The ladies in this routine of the Sex Pistols doing " Something Else ". Is not one of my favorite of theirs. We have the ladies in a row. Dancing to this song is dune well, but not a stand out routine. The ladies are dresses in multi-coloured dresses and wearing  multi-coloured wigs. So it is difficult to tell who is who in this routine. Just one solo this week and this is by Pauline who a nice job on it. Still likes the the move version of this song or the original by Eddie Cochran.

The Dotd must go to Pauline.

And the score is 6 out of 10.
Stu

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Stu
Well (not for the first time) I appear to be in the minority because I absolutely loved this! Very tongue in cheek, loads of fun, the facial expressions on the girls are brilliant, and I actually thought the routine was amazing and original, especially working on a stage with width rather than depth. More please!

10/10

DOTD - Pauline

Stuey

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

8/10 and Pauline for dotd.
Still living in 1979

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Who's That Hurll
Of the Pistols two charting Cochran covers, I much prefer 'C'mon Everybody' with it's grinding punky guitar riff. For 'Something Else' I would definitely stick with Eddie's version.
As to the routine itself, It is quite distant for the first part, although that does allow us to see all six dancers swinging there way from one side to the next. The camera shot from the right sweeps down the line of punkesses to allow us to see who's who and they're all putting in a lot of energy to the performance.  The outfits, although colourful, are a bit of a costume department mix and match that seems more 'fairies of the forest' than Carnaby Street, although Pauline does look great in her green wig.
8'10 DOTD Pauline.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

What a fantastic routine to a track that I really do like, partly because it brings back so many memories! Alright, so maybe it's never going to go down as one of the Legs & Co classics, but I love the way Flick's created a fun routine that the girls carry off really well, snarling and pulling faces, some funny punkish dancing, and costumes and wigs that wouldn't have gone down very well at the 100 Club, but suit this routine perfectly. As mentioned by others this is another fine example of the versatility of our lovely ladies.

Rating 9/10

DOTD Just has to be Pauline

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Dancer
A good song from the Sex Pistols.  Was not a fan of punk but I always felt this was rock n roll - something Dion would have recorded.  I still remember this one on TOTP when it was televised in 1979 and really loved it.  I thought the outfits and moves were perfect.  I will award this one ten out of ten because I can rewatch it and the best dancer awarded to Pauline.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Everything'sRosie
Punk goes showbiz. Well, it was 1979 and eventually everything falls victim to parody. And so it should, in regards to keeping things fresh and onward looking. I'm guessing Flick and the girls weren't exactly enamored by this Sex Pistols cover of the old Eddie Cochran number (a favourite of mine, the original) as a piece of music to interpret, but they commit to it admirably. I say Sex Pistols, in reality what was left of them, vocalist on this track sid Vicious was already dead.

The dance is how you might expect; quick jerky moves, surly looks to camera, an aggressive "we're different to you" phony attitude a posh teenage girl might adopt to shock her parents, and then abandon the next day when something else tickled her fancy. But the overriding essence here is one of fun. And like the Tragedy routine a couple of weeks before, it becomes a game identifying who is who under the wigs. With Pauline cast as the girl who is "Something Else" she is the most identifiable, and she gets my DOTD vote. I rather like this so a 9/10

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

The Rubberband Man
Lulu’s leftfield fashion in shoes has caught on with the rest of the girls, and they’re all at it now. It's Luluism in footwear

L&C have come as a colourful group of punks, not opting for the bondage look that other dance companies of the time considered de rigueur. The consequence however is this dance sequence is a bit tame, when they might have got away with something a bit raunchier.
I quite like the song, but I’m not keen on this cover of it.

7/10 because I think this could have delivered a bit more
DOTD: Pauline, She's sure fine lookin' man
She's somethin' else
All bound for Lulu Land in an E Type Jag (but more likely to be an E reg)

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Everything'sRosie wrote
I'm guessing Flick and the girls weren't exactly enamored by this Sex Pistols cover of the old Eddie Cochran number
On the contrary ER. The punk scene was covered in the Legs & Co `TOTP True Story` interviews originally screened on new years day 2001.

Patti is very enamoured talking about it here at 6:48 mins.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56z50u?playlist=x3zvs6

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

The Rubberband Man wrote
Lulu’s leftfield fashion in shoes has caught on with the rest of the girls, and they’re all at it now. It's Luluism in footwear
The shoes are very similar to the ones they wore some two years earlier in `Saturday Nite`. Infact im not sure if they are the same.

Re: SOMETHING ELSE [March]

Patti is very enamoured talking about it here at 6:48 mins.
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x56z50u?playlist=x3zvs6
Well, no debate there then, right from the lady's mouth. Although the Something Else clip had been spruced up with a bit more "cool" by playing Pretty Vacant over it instead.