SOUL CITY WALK

Soul City Walk was a hit for Archie Bell and the Drells, an R&B/Soul Group who spent some of their time in the Gamble and Huff Philadelphia stable.  Archie was born in Houston Texas, the somewhat underachieving older brother of a World Karate Champion and an NFL Player.  The song was written by Carstephen, McFadden and Whitehead and backing was provided by Philadelphia's "Instant Funk" band and some vocal support by the label's "Sweethearts of Sigma."  How could it fail, I ask?

   SOUL CITY WALK   -   Archie Bell & the Drells                                           May 13th 1976

                                DANCERS:        Cherry, Floid, Gavin, Lulu, Patti, Phil, Sue

       LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bo7o_ruby-flipper-soul-city-walk-totp-tx-13-05-1976_creation

  Well this is a jolly tune and the Flippers are in high gear giving us many little segments of action to admire here.  There is lots to commend, from Patti and Gavin dating and squabbling about the time to Phil doing his Groucho Marx to Lulu doing a cute solo in the City but try as I might to be democratic I simply can't escape the conclusion that Cherry is the utter highlight of this Dance.  She is positively glowing with heat and fun here in my opinion and I nearly smashed my monitor screen trying to follow her when she beckons us to "Come on" at 1:41.  I really don't like Gavin's jacket and cravat or Floid's single-strap dungarees but in the end it doesn't matter as all I'm looking at is Cherry.  I'm so sorry as this is surely the least unbiased intro you've read but I just can't help myself.   I award 9/10 and most of it is due to one of the clearest DotDs I can remember, Cherry.  Please help me friends...

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Old Bill
What a funky denimmy delight this is!

I am entirely in agreement with you P4PM - jolly is the word! But it must be a drag for you for Patti to have such a quiet role.

Gavin's jacket is that of a cheap cabaret singer, I can't really see cool cats strutting their stuff round soul city wearing that kind of garb.

Lulu has some good moments, but I don't think her hearwear would have been my first choice when IMHO her hair was nearing it's lacquered-bouncy peak around now.
Sue looks wonderful with her boots and high-waist - and do I spot a bit of embroidery? Excellent.

The boys do ok - but for me they're just cluttering up the cityscape. Perhaps one could have sat it out so the girls had more room to Walk about in. Especially Patti.

I had to watch it a few times (it's a hard-life...!) as I kept getting distracted by the thing in the foreground in the set. (Just in front of Floid in P4PM's grab). What is it?? Some Dali-esque multistorey car-park? A wrecked ocean liner??? Hmmm.
Also, I can't help thinking this vid, with the giant dancers strutting around the city, towering over the skyscrapers, was the influence for this Rolling Stones vid a few years later. Flick influences the Stones! That's what we like.  :-)

Good one this. 8/10 - and in this denim-fest, my DotD is the one wearing the least denim - Cherry.  Smiles and warmth and happiness thoughout!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

   I reckon you have just about touched all bases in your intro P4PM and i basically agree with all your comments. This is a bright and breezy couple of minutes and its a routine that i never get tired of watching.
   Yes men's fashion back then really sucked, and i wouldn't be seen dead in what Floid is wearing. No wonder Patti is arguing with Gavin with him turning up for their date with him in that jacket.
   The girls on the other hand look hot to trot in their denims. Sues tight fitting jeans always make nice viewing. Lulu is in fine form singing along, but not keen on what she got on her head.
   This is one of those routines were for me the DOTD is easy and who else could it be other than `Cherry`. Stunning outfit and she looks very sexy.
   I will award this `9.50 out of 10` .

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Are the dancers meant to be giants?, notice how they seem to be taller than most of the buildings here, the casual dress-code looks to be rather of it's time, there's obviously a couples theme going on here, but with rather more people than Heart On My Sleeve, Lulu, given her tender age here, looks like she's experimenting with an older sisters make-up, but she's outstanding with her solo dance scenes.

8/10

Lulu

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Like "Love Hangover" on the same programme, this ensemble piece requires multiple viewings to appreciate the many facets of what's going on.

My highlights in chronological order:

- Sue and Floid's "barney"
- Phil constantly mugging the camera - and almost stealing the show
- Floid's high kick into the first verse
- The line
- Sue using all her mighty vigour pushing Phil across the stage
- Corporal Gillespie leading Privates Pearce and Steggles in quick march
- Lulu-ism in full swing during her solo part

But most of all: Cherry and *those* hot-pants. As hot as a summer night in the depths of downtown.

DotD: No brainer - Cherry

Score: 9

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Old Bill
Paperboyplod wrote
Are the dancers meant to be giants?, notice how they seem to be taller than most of the buildings here,
Indeed they are PBP -or seem to be. Hence my reference to the similarly-themed Rolling Stones vid :-)
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

As you say P4pm it's a jolly romp with plenty of entertaining cameo moments which have already been mentioned.  Aside from Cherry's little number though the other outfits are not amongst my favourites so it is a paltry 7.5 from me.

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
Thankyou for your comments and for reassuring me that I'm not the only one fixated on the lovely Cherry in this performance.  Some of you have mentioned the buildings being on the small side compared to our mighty Dance Troupe and I'm not sure of the significance of this but would welcome theories.   Maybe it's just budgetary constraints yet again.  So far this Dance is scoring well and I'd love some more contributions.  Incidentally I have decided for this one that any score offered up by anyone whose initials are VV will score double...
LNV

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

LNV
In the first 15 seconds or thereabouts the dancers are introduced to us in fleeting character studies: A chatty Patti and Lulu strolling out arm in arm, Floid and Sue bickering away, Gavin furtively approaching his secret date that is to be Patti. Phil oddly struts across the stage giving an impression of a cigar chomping Groucho Marx. Cherry is the free spirited hot-chick, maybe the girl all the men fancy ?  I still think as I said some time back that Cherry is playing the role of the roller-skate girl here. It possibly was considered too hazardous for her to be put on such contraptions in a routine that is crowded and hurried in manner.

At the 40 second mark Floid is given a solo bit, looks to me an utter jackass. Awful, his face is contorted as though he has stepped onto a sharp object. I mean why ?? Has Floid got trouble breathing, do I as a viewer need to see his gob wide open like that ? Enter Sue and Lulu to thankfully end that segment of the dance.

Cherry is incandescent in her sun bright lemon yellow top and denim hot-pants. But you cannot as PBP or Old Bill often correctly never do, dismiss Lulu entirely.

Lulu is too lovable as the young, petite princess of Ruby Flipper and the then soon to be temptress of Legs & Co. I wonder what life changing experiences Lulu went through to transform her so, celebrity can be insidious in its influence on a person. Lulu’s endearing but has to be said unprofessional sing-along trait is very noticeable. Part observation and part criticism, did it ever truly cease ?

A jolly outing in the cityscape of Ruby Flipper land. One of the better songs the Troupe got to dance to; a danceable tune.  Cherry is meant to be the star of the show and so she is as the object of our desires.

The pairing of Patti and Gavin works well and they have a story to tell all through the piece that is played out as good  as can be. Who to chose for the DotD ? Gavin does not often get a look-in, for obvious reasons of being a bloke, slightly effeminate in how he conveys himself and a too disengaged attitude with his performances. I’ll award it to Gavin who overcomes not only these perceived traits of his but also the tasteless quiz host jacket he wears throughout. Gavin gains my respect with how he plays out his allotted role, I like the moment when he kisses Patti’s hand, so charming and romantic.

9/10
DotD: Gavin.

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
Thought provoking as usual LNV thanks.  Gavin is an interesting choice but I would agree this is definitely one of his better outings.  Watching this a few more times I am just about able to take my eyes off Cherry long enough to see that Sue does a great job in her various roles here and I love that scene where she shoves Phil across the stage using only "head power" and the little "hot shoe shuffle" with Gavin too.  Altogether I think this performance deserves its spot near the top of the table but I would really  like more support yet

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Gorgeous Daze
A full complement of seven Flippers to provide maximum City bustle. This one is in the same vein as Back In The USSR insofar as there's so much going on at quite a pace that you can spot something new each time you watch it. The song requires them to walk rather than boogie but happily a lot of artistic license is used. The stars are out, after all. But as our boys and girls are out on the streets they're in everyday clothes rather than their glad rags. So these aren't the most exciting of outfits. Only Cherry seems to have an inkling there's something in the air this Spring, so it's her who best captures the free spirit of the song. I echo our host's urge to jump through the screen at her 'come on'!

People have beaten me to it with all that's notably good and not so good. (Lulu's sweet solo, Floid's gurning, Gavin's cold mien etc). As for the Land Of The Giants set, I think it's just a case of if you're going to have model buildings they are unavoidably on a miniscule scale. Here's a 'City'-scape they made earlier:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtp6BLqeZkQ

DOTD Cherry.  8/10

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

bucksby
I know 1976 gets a lot of stick from the punk/new wave crowd but there are still some great soul/disco sounds around and this is one of them.  I like the set of this not sure why because it doesn't look realistic or anything! As for the dancers Cherry is the best dressed but as for DOTD I am torn. Sue looks great as usual , Patti sadly does not get enough camera time,  but I am going to go for Lulu even though I don't like her outfit I think she seems very confident and does her solo stuff well. Overall mark an 8 for the routine which I quite enjoyed.

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Andeebee
I'll give this a good whole hearted 9

and the wonderful Cherry gets the DOTD honors from me...

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
Thanks again for the sage comments lads.  This performance seems stable in its Top 5 position in the league table so far.  It strikes me that it might well be the record holder when it comes to stepping up onto and down off the stage for our Dancers unless anyone else can think of another contender

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
I have been trying to decipher all the lyrics here as they don't appear to be printed anywhere on the Net that I can find.   Most of the song is easy but the 2nd Verse is giving me trouble.  It goes something like:

All You Have to Do is (???Thumb a Big Bald Fly???)
Just Make Sure That You Hold Tight
Move It To Your Left and Move It To Your Right
And This Dance Is Out Of Sight

Can some kind soul correct and help me with the end of that first line please?  And if you're going to listen that carefully you might as well add another comment too

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

Gorgeous Daze
I can't decipher those lyrics either P4PM. But I just counted 10 ratings for this routine and I notice it only has a score out of 90 at the moment.

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

The lyric is something like
"All you have to do is form a big xxxx  xxxx"  with "long line" or perhaps some slang equivalent for the last two words.  And that manoeuvre is certainly what then occurs on the lilliputian like streets of Soul City.

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
Thanks SF, with your help and that of another wise man I'm now pretty sure the lyrics of this verse are:

  Now all you have to do is form a big boss line
  And just make sure you're on time
  Movin' to your left and movin' to your right
  Hey this dance is outta sight

Also thanks for your vigilance GD, you are quite right.  Cherry must have distracted me and I have now corrected the Dance ratings table

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM wrote
Incidentally I have decided for this one that any score offered up by anyone whose initials are VV will score double...
Time to take you at your word

I love this dance, great disco song, great fun, and I still wonder what exactly the 'big boss line' is...

9.5 /10, DotD: Cherry
Vin

Re: SOUL CITY WALK

PattiForPM
...erm...how embarrassing....erm....thanks for your vote Vin but the Committee has decided that your original initial was S