STAR [November]

STAR  Dance/performance number 187 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Earth Wind & Fire  reaching number 16 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  01/11/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.30 mins
Dancers--Gill,  Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      169
Pauline 168
Rosie    166
Patti     164
Gill       162
Lulu      160
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x29ndth_legs-co-star-totp-tx-01-11-1979_creation

Well the conveyor belt of great Disco tracks continue for Legs & co to perform to. This time its Earth Wind & Fire who provide the music, though this is the fifth and final time they will do so for Legs & Co. Quite a pleasant tune of easy pace, i reckon Flick came up with another winner of a routine that fitted so well with the track. Once again she put a lot of thought into the song title, and the start of the routine we find our girls huddled together to form a distant star, which slowly and gradually bursts to form a super nova, namely our lovelies. The shimmery outfits also help to give that astral feel, though Sue did seem to struggle with her cape, but as ever got the job done.

Now i'm not usually one for fancy camera effects as i like to keep it simple, but i'm giving the Aurora Borealis effects the thumbs up as it adds to the routine and certainly doesn't detract from the viewing.

DOTD--Well there is no way Pauline is going to get this on this occasion. Shes relegated to being at the back again. I guess the way Flicks laid out the routine somebody had to be positioned there. Of course Pauline is no stranger to this role. She should think of it in football terms and consider herself the `sweeper at the back`, an important position in any team !

No for me the battle is between the two premier league dancers, Sue & Patti. I simply adore Patti's uncharacteristic lypsync in this when she mouths the "Woo ho woo ho woo ho ha ha yeah" (well i reckon she does). But even though `Sue` has a bit of a blip between 1.43mins and 1.45 (by the link provided) when she loses her way, and not with standing her cape battles, she is the girl who is my Star of the day.

Just a word on the absent Lulu.This is the first full Legs & Co routine shes missed in 11 full months. The same will also apply to Rosie soon, a great effort by both.

Rating--Nowhere near a maximum, can i stretch to 9 ? No i'm just short of that so i'm giving it `8.75 out of 10`.

Re: STAR [November]

Suefan
A most enjoyable dance routine to an engaging song.  Momentary cape contretemps notwithstanding, my first magnitude star is Sue while the routine deserves a 9.

Re: STAR [November]

Gorgeous Daze
After last week's masterclass in how to do a great disco dazzler with no visual wizardry this week's theme proved too much of a temptation for another direct strategy, so it is we get this cosmic prismatic effect. And Ronco Space-Chic party kits, though going on Pauline's positioning this could easily pass for Earth Year 1978. I like the gentle movements of the circular prelude, shot at a distance in soft focus suggesting the nebulous remoteness of a star cluster. In the early stages the moderate prisms and vision mixing serves its starry purpose well and the routine is on a promising trajectory. But when the effects are turned up it impacts a little too much on visibility, sending the dance off-course. Which is frustrating because as a performance it's good and the girls appeal in their costumes, thrift material or not. Back in clear vision Sue's malfunctioning cape, recalling a visit to another Star, continues the turbulence unfazed though she is. Alongside in command, in command, Patti's naturalistic warmth shines through again. I love her jiggle forward and elbow gesture to accompany the wo ho's and ha ha yeah. Spot on!  But when it culminates, once more in full-on effects mode, a back turned on us, the successful aspects of the mission are over and what's left is a brief waste of space despite the rounded surface of a heavenly body emerging into view.

Patti is the Sirius of the constellation. Ground Control to Major Flick: Some things wrong,  some things right. 7/10

Re: STAR [November]

Colm
One for the fans of star-filters on your lights!

I don't think we've seen the dancers turn on the smiles so much in a routine for a while, all the better for it too.

DotD: Patti - the greatest smiler of them all here

Score: 8.5

Re: STAR [November]

AC/PD
The Sky At Night's never looked as enticing as it does here. With Lulu on another planet entirely, this dance revolves around the twin shooting stars named Patti and Sue, with the interplanetary bodies of Gill and Rosie orbiting a safe distance away whilst sunny Pauline's barely discernible without the aid of a powerful telescope.
The question on the antennae of any passing pilots of interplanetary craft would be whether or not all Earth girls look like this and if in the affirmative, how soon can they get here?
The atmosphere's light and airy throughout, even though gravity has an occasional effect on one or two small steps as well as Sue's attire, although as per usual she negotiates any costume in-cape-abilities with such aplomb that one wonders whether there was any interference or not.
8/10
DOTD: Patti

Re: STAR [November]

It's all very chaotic down on that stage, & aren't the ladies loving it, & all looking very fetching in their golden retro-style outfits.
The lighting effects are interesting, as if large sheets of prismatic foil are hanging from beneath the stage lights.
We also get plenty of close-up shots of all of the dancers, this dance routine's the sort that we've come to expect from '79.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: STAR [November]

Well I'm running out of astronomical metaphors but for me, as for some others, this is largely a Binary system with a few fleeting glimpses of some lovely outer planetoids but one of the two stars seems to me to burn slightly hotter on this good-see night.  Like GD I become a little less enamoured of the spectral emissions as the Dance progresses but they are a huge improvement on the Disco conflagration to which we were previously exposed.  Nevertheless there are some lovely celestial movements to be seen here and I do find this performance well worth my time out in the cold observatory.  Now I've lost my thought-thread so I'll give 8.5/10  with a few tenths lost for the D-felony of Beautiful Dancer Concealment and I have to give DotD to the brightest star I know, Patti Hammond

Re: STAR [November]

Not enamoured with this one.I don't think it's much of a dance,i don't like the costumes or the song either.6/10
DotD:Patti

Re: STAR [November]

Here come the next routine by our ladies and Flick. The ladies are in a space setting, with a star background. And the ladies are wearing silver and gold high collars with cape costumes. And silver and gold gautlets and boots. And on there heads were gold pill-box hats. A really space age image for the time. For the last couple of weeks we have seen Sue and Patti put together. These are nearest to the camera, and do the main two solos. The two solos are done so well with the two ladies. With Sue and Patti and there wonderful smiles to the camera. And with the added visual effects that with song and routine. So I must put a high score for this out of the world routine.

The Dotd must go down to our two leading ladies of dance Sue and Patti. Both ladies are on very good form for me. But yet again it must go to Sue. So even when Sue has trouble with the cape, she carry on. It interesting that Sue always as trouble wiith capes. Sue and capes, and songs with stars in there names.

The score is 8 out of 10.

Re: STAR [November]

Andeebee
How do EWF follow 'After The Love Has Gone', well they did with this not so high placed chart botherer.

Stylish routine with some rather nifty Dr Who star effects (re DR Who Titles 1980), and nice to see the 'Nice Legs' costumes appear at last.

I would go down the Sky At Night route, but I won't as all the metaphors have been used to aplomb by the other guys. Nice little cape battle for Sue (distant nightmares of Silver Star returning), alot of leg and alot of teeth on show.

Heavens above a glorious space epic, with two heavenly bodies battling it out for my attention. drat I said i wouldn't use the direct comparisons with space.

Scores: 9/10

DOTD: it has to be the one and only Sue-per Nova herself

Re: STAR [November]

Old Grey Whistler
I find this more Vauxhall Nova than Supernova unfortunately. I don't much like the song and I think the costumes are more of a hindrance than an asset. The special effects might have been okay for Dr Who, but then so was Peter Davison but I wouldn't want him appearing in a Legs & Co performance either!  Too many of the girls are struggling for camera time and I miss Lulu, so it all adds up to one of the least enjoyable performances of the year.
I will score it 6 out of 10. DOTD is a straight choice between two and Sue just gets it over Patti.

Re: STAR [November]

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: STAR [November]

VintageVideos
Slightly futuristic outfits presenting Legs & Co. as funky space cadets. I like the song, I like the outfits and I like the routine. Not great, but goooood!

8.5 / 10

DotD: Pat'smiles'ti
If I only had one love yours would be the one I'd choose

Re: STAR [November]

PaulF
Very enjoyable look at the night sky. 8/10

DOTD Has to be the amazing Sue.
Paul

Re: STAR [November]

Adorable Gillusion
7/10  DOTD...Patti

Re: STAR [November]

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: STAR [November]

Mikey
Quite similar to the previous week style wise, although now we have those rather fetching spacey costumes with the troublesome capes. The distant star theme at the start is inspired (maybe an overhead shot could have been good too), and i like pretty much everything about it including the prism based blurring, and the EWF song although not a classic is more than adequate backing. Sue and Patti are dominating the proceedings but Patti seems to be enjoying herself more even chuckling along the way at the appropriate moment, so gets DOTD.

A very good 8.5/10

Stu

Re: STAR [November]

Stu
I found the aurora style lighting a bit distracting but other than that it was ok.

6.5/10

DOTD  Sue

Stuey

Re: STAR [November]

Doc
I quite like this one, the gold outfts and the starburst filters actually add to the routine. A bit more would have been nice 9/10.
Dotd: Rosie's Legs!
Still living in 1979

Re: STAR [November]

Old Bill
Back to Earth with a bump - where is my favourite space girl?? I guess she had earned a rest after 11 months solid service but how will outer space seem without her? Cold, lonely and empty surely....?

Well it seems not - with the shiny space-age costumes and the starlight being colourfully refracted, having come from millions of light-years away, the view down this particular telescope is one of joy and wonder. And beautiful spacey spectacle and this time not being interrupted by an alien DLT being our friend.
The capes look good, and probably cover up the potential unintended full-moon, but you can see they're getting in the way.
Shame about Pauline and Gill being eclipsed by the heavenly bodies at the front, but for the disco song the moves are quite graceful and elegant. The high-heeled boots almost making them look as if they're dancing pointe.
I like the way the gold skimpy spacesuits contrast nicely with the darkness of space.

All very nice enjoyable and relaxing. 8.5/10 and Commander Patti for DotD.

Afterwards when Reidy said "six good movers, five of them Legs & Co..." I thought he was going to say "and one of them the camera man". What happened at 2'39"? Was he hit by an asteroid?!
Jeremiah 31:13
12