STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

STARS ON 45 - Second version  Dance/performance number 264 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Starsound  reaching number 2 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  07/05/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.48 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue.

Sue      243
Rosie    242
Patti     237
Gill        233
Lulu      233
Pauline  231

The second of the five excursions Legs & Co make into Starsoundland and for my money this is easily the best of the lot, and undoubtedly a fully blown routine with no end credits etc to get in the way of the on-screen action. Okay, the medley of songs may be getting on folks nerves by now, as it did back then, but you have to admit its simply ideal song fodder for our dancers to perform to. With the girls adorned in what id call cute looking Swizz miss frilly costumes, they unleash dance moves a plenty for our enjoyment, dance moves that we have come to love by now. I think the bit were Patti emerges from the Sue/Rosie bridge to be my favourite. All five dancers have plenty of camera time, and each gives us plenty of smiles and the by now familiar faces of expression. You could argue that Rosie is now over doing the wacky face stuff, but i think shes blooming wonderful at it and she makes me smile whenever i watch her. Lets not forget that they are there to provide entertainment, at thats what they deliver in spades during the 168 seconds of this.

Absolutely love this and im up for giving this a maximum `10 out of 10`.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

I hate it when making collages and then finding out ive somehow omitted a wonderful picture of a dancer as in the case with Lulu.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Colm
I love how in the first thirty seconds, we've already have lovely close-up shots of all five dancers - Lulu's are the pick of the crop for me. Putting Rosie, who is smiling all the way, at the front of the line during "Sugar Sugar", is also a great touch.

I also like how the routine of two weeks' previous (with DLT as Gill's understudy) has been expanded on - I guess the "window" sequence during "No Reply" is classic Flick choreography (c.f. Gill and Lulu's "You KNOW, if you break my heart I'll GO"), but it still makes the smile.

It's a shame the routine is over before there's a chance to build a story with the segue of "I Should Have Known Better", "Nowhere Man" and "You're Gonna Lose That Girl", but what we get is certainly a joy to watch.

DotD: For me, a choice between Lulu and Rosie for adding the most fun to proceedings... with absolutely no disrespect to Gill, Patti and Sue who also do a mighty fine job... [thinks for a moment or two], go on then, Lulu it is.

Score: 8.5

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Adorable Gillusion
8.5/10   DOTD...Gill

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

My favourite Stars on 45 routine and even better that the routine's live, but a real shame this edition was not shown as I was quite looking forward to this edition as it wasn't that bad. All the Legs girls look like they are having a great time and the choreography is great.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

The more i watch this the more i like it.I still don't care much for the costumes but the routine is superb.My favourite bits are No Reply and Drive My Car - Rosie is a star.9/10
DotD:Rosie

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

The Rubberband Man
Full marks to the cameraman for focusing on Lulu at the “You are my candy girl” line. We are both on the same wavelength here and obviously hopeless devotees to Luluism.

Classic routine with great moves and interpretations. Smiles and fun all round make this a very enjoyable routine.

Terrible record but the dancing is officially awesome - 10/10
DOTD is Lulu, and Ryan’s post above with a "wonderful picture of a dancer" is presented as the indisputable evidence.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Its full of fun, a smashing bit of choreography to enhance the melange, while the costumes (which I shall always recall as scarves and hankies!) are spot on.  Tricky to choose a Dotd as all five girls do a great job but its a 10 for the overall routine.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Gorgeous Daze
I assume our Starlets from 4 to 5 are this time midriff-baring Dutch girls in recognition of the nationality of Starsound. Scrumptious. Add in the super-friendly fair-sharing of the action and nobody's grousin'. From what transpired to be an appetizer, if it ain't broke don't fix it: whip-cracked into action the clock strikes 3 again and they're still spinning away on the turntable for the major theme. Then onwards and upwards they get a full routine and the floor to themselves to exploit the Daddy and best of all the year's medleys. Woo Hoo!

Pop wasn't to eat itself till the next decade and The Beatles were about the furthest they got from being cool in the early eighties. The choice of early numbers frontloaded with a calorific diversion to the candy store gave this medley a twee feel at the time, that the gentle poking of fun in the dance reflects. It's party music and I'm happy to witness the party propensity for forming a line. Laying on the literalism to Play School levels we get Patti climbing through the window (mine's always open) and a merry motorcade of drivers - and in all seriousness it works a treat. I like how it's jazzed-up with a seldom seen double blonde moment and also of note is the plethora of arm moves, enough to memorize to fill a small manual this layman would imagine. The choppy parts are easy but right there among the most enjoyable.

It's Lulu and Rosie who not unpredictably mine the most amusement from this. Just a little OTT perhaps Rosie but your Ravers will be lapping it up and you're a worthy DOTD.

81 has really stepped up a gear now and I think they road-tested this one to its full potential. It had always been a 9something, but it really is such fun and I can't find any fault at all. Why in the final analysis should I deny it the jackpot?

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Old Grey Whistler
This was by far the best of the medleys from 1981 and it allowed Legs & Co to turn in a top notch performance. I like their costumes, although Gill's is a little bit difficult to pick up against the background. Having a variety of different songs means that the choreography can also vary, although it does stay very literal throughout, which is fine by me.
It all seems to end a little early and I would love to see an extended version of this.
Ideally I would prefer the audience to not be between the stage and the camera.

My score is 10 out of 10
DOTD is Lulu

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
This is an awesome routine. Rosie breaks the record for the number of different expressions one dancer can pull in one 15 second piece to cam....but the best thing of all is this song gives Sue a chance to show off those snake hips and that whippy body

It's a sure-fire 10 from me
DotD Sue
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Yes this is vey enjoyable stuff and certainly some tongue in cheek literal interpretation, which is more than justified in a medley like this as it is itself something of a caricature.  Having said this I do find Rosie and Patti a little overpowering (as Ryan anticipated some of us might) and Sue and Gill seem a bit more subdued but it is Lulu who gets it just right this time from my perspective so she's my unhesitating DotD.  My mark is 9/10 but all the little sections are very apt and I too would have liked to have seem much more...maybe even a whole album interpreted (sorry about the exhaustion ladies)

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

What a fine cartoon of a routine this is - Wacky Faces starring Rosie. The exaggerated mannerisms and expressions don't grate but rather are great. 21st Century detractors might see this dance routine as one of rich pickings but the Sugar Sugar cane they harvest makes the routine just that much sweeter. The traditional and timeless Oktoberfest costumes, which would have met with the approval of anyone within a generous range of the Alps hide and reveal just the right amount of flesh with flat midriffs out on display.
As Colm mentioned, with no actual set to contend with, all five receive a generous amount of screen-time with highlights including the traditional perfectly executed 'Sue spin', Patti pretending not to be home but then giving the game away with a wide-eyed peek 'n' pout through the Sue/Rosie frame and, most enjoyable of all, the Gill/Lulu liaison for the Schwarzenegger section of the medley.
European-style entertainment which bears repeated viewing - proper EuroVision.
10/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

& this is precisely why Legs & Co., work so much better when they have the stage all to themselves, & didn't have to be reduced to the status of backing dancers, & they're obvious enjoying dancing to this track immensely, & that really enhances the performance, I'm certain you'll all agree, & I'd have really liked to be amongst that audience standing there within spitting distance, although of course I'd be more inclined to blow kisses towards these ladies.

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Everything'sRosie
This is strange, I have no recollection of this Powell introduced show at all. I checked my hard drive and it's not there. Seems unfathomable I could have missed a show as I'm pretty vigilant, but I must have! And from this year too. Had to watch it on YT. No BBC4 logo either. I'm confused. Anyway, I like it. Some great facial expressions, especially from Lulu and Rosie.
Rating 9/10
DotD  Lulu.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

VintageVideos
Everything'sRosie wrote
This is strange, I have no recollection of this Powell introduced show at all.
The show wasn't aired on BBC4 as some of the links in the archived copy are mute. Thus it was deemed unbroadcastable.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Everything'sRosie
VintageVideos wrote
Everything'sRosie wrote
This is strange, I have no recollection of this Powell introduced show at all.
The show wasn't aired on BBC4 as some of the links in the archived copy are mute. Thus it was deemed unbroadcastable.
Oh right, I thought I was going mad. Pity they didn't get PP in to over dub them. But then I know nothing about this sort of thing. What a pity. A nice routine.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Its still available on 4shared, the link is on the missing shows thread.

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

this has been viewed alot on YT, rapidly rising in views, and i can see why....alot of folk like this routine.

This is a super performance, I watch this alot.  it really is a joy to view.

Yes rightly so the track is duff, and irritates like a case of eczema, but you gotta hand it to the co of Legs.  A fine fine routine, one of the best.

The funny faces by Rosie is a delight and the usual preferred side shot of Lulu on show again, there is a brief shot of a monitor above Sue, where you can see the dancers.

Scores: Stars on 10

45'er of the day: the delightful smile of Sue

Re: STARS ON 45 - Second version (Frilly costumes) [May]

Adorable Gillusion
8.5/10   DOTD...Rosie
123