Quantcast

STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Stoney End
Performed by Barbra Streisand and reaching number 27 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 30/12/1971 Duration of dance - 3.02 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Flick, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/0hDAC0AP-cM
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1642

Barbra Streisand released her first record in 1962. Two years later she scored a US No. 5 hit with "People", but it took two more years until her first UK chart entry, a song called "Second Hand Rose" which rose to No. 14. Although she kept on releasing singles, she neither made the US Top 40 nor the UK Top 50 for the next five years. Finally, in 1971, her singing career took a step in the right direction with a Laura Nyro composition called "Stoney Ground". The song had been a regional hit for Peggy Lipton in 1968, but Barbra's cover made it to No. 6 in the US and No. 27 in the UK (peaking in the week ending March 27, 1971).

In December 1971, Pan's People flew to Mombasa, Kenya to entertain the Navy. A BBC crew was there as well. According to "Our Story" (p. 105), a routine for "Montego Bay" was filmed on the aircraft carrier HMS Triumph (R16), and some additional filming was done on the beaches and around the town. However, an eyewitness reported on panspeople.com and OFTD that the routine on the flight deck of the HMS Triumph was Barbra Streisand's "Stoney End", and that another routine was filmed two days later on the Silver Sands beach (unfortunately he couldn't remember which song they danced to on the second occasion). He also stated that both films were intended to be shown on the TOTP Christmas shows. Now, as we all know, Pan's People's stay in Mombasa went on a few days longer than originally planned, so they - and abviously the BBC crew as well - missed the Christmas TOTPs.

Alas, we never found out what the beach routine actually was. But we do have the routine on the deck of the HMS Triumph, which was finally shown on TOTP 30/12/1971. A copy of that episode still exists in the BBC archive; however, it is in an unedited state including a number of retakes. Furthermore, about half of the show is more or less muted (actually there is sound, but it is very very low). One of the (almost) muted performances is the Pan's People film for "Stoney End".

One Sunday afternoon a couple of years ago, yours truly decided to try dubbing the film. I had dubbed a number of videos during the years before, but that was the first which was not only muted, but also did not include the original artist - there was no mouthing the words which would have made dubbing so much easier! Well, to cut a long story short, I turned up the volume and tried to detect the moment when the music actually started. What followed were a number of hours trying to change the speed of the CD audio to match the dance steps until I was - finally - happy with the results (there is another dubbed version of "Stoney Ground" on YouTube but it loses sync with the dance moves in the second half).

"Stoney End" is a real oddity in many aspects. One wonders why a routine for a song which had peaked at a lowly No. 27 in March was filmed in December for a Christmas TOTP at all!? And how do these beautiful girls and an aircraft carrier go together? Besides, the whole thing was finally shown not on a Christmas TOTP but on a regular show placed between Neil Reid and Val Doonican, making this possibly the only time in TOTP history that a record which had gone out of the charts about nine months earlier was featured on a regular edition.

I've watched this routine many times during the past years but I'm still not quite sure what to make of it. I do like the costumes and the fact that this film has been shot on location in nice and sunny weather. I'm not too keen on the song though, and my fascination for aircraft carriers is limited to say the least. Still, I find this clip very watchable and so I will award

8 / 10

My DotD is Babs who somehow reminds me of Marilyn Monroe

P.S.: I found this picture on the net showing Pan's People on the HMS Triumph. It's just too good to keep it from you:

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

PansLegs
For once, an 'on location' shoot really did mean on location! Not just up the road in Oxford Street or Kempton, but out in Mombasa Kenya. Aboard HMS Triumph, Pan's People danced for a no doubt delighted crew, filming at least a couple of routines, but Stoney End is the only one known to survive. A strong vocal from Ms Streisand on the title track from her 1971 album provides a feeling of girl power from the full line-up of six dancers.

Keeping going in near 100 degrees Fahrenheit must have been no easy task even in skimpy dresses and there's a few strained looking faces in some of the close-ups which were probably shot last.  At least the nature of filming means that breaks could be taken between shots, although I imagine the main wide angle was near continuous. As the only example of Pans out and about on foreign soil (OK decking) this has to rate reasonably well for rarity value alone. 8/10 Dotd Babs for that cheeky upper deck twirl.

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

An interesting and informative intro VV, to what is a most enjoyable routine.  It certainly lifts a fairly middling song and would have raised the spirits of those watching on a cold December evening back in Blighty.  So an 8 for the dance with Andi and Babs vying for my Dotd pick, but for leading the line on the hull of the sub Andi just shades it.

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

These on loacation dance routines were a great concept, & generally made things more interesting. It's the kind of entertainment that'd get one through the predicament of the boat that you're aboard, having ran aground, just outside port shortly after leaving on a long journey, maybe a round the world cruise, & Pan's People also on the boat trip, put in an impromptu performance, all of the bystanders here must've been in their elements, they'd have made a great cabin crew for the passengers, or the merchant navy, on a cargo vessel.
It's pity that Legs & Co., never got to venture out from TVC, during their TOTPs reign, & yet, even Ruby Flipper, were granted a change of scenery, when they got to dance in the Blue Peter garden.

9/10

DotD:-

Andrea

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

Thanks for all the info Vin and indeed for the lovely additional photo.  Having said that, sorry lads but I really don't like this at all.  From the dreadful song to the Bo Peep outfits and the rather lurchy dancing on deck (for which I blame the horrid tune BTW) I can't find much to like about this one other than the outdoor venue and some of the twirls.  I feel particularly bad about this as I now know a lot of work has gone into constructing this with good audio as well and I like the idea of the Pans ladies supporting the Forces but I just can't help myself as I can barely get through the full performance.   My DotD is Babs for that wicked twirl others have commended already and my mark is only 4/10  Hope I haven't upset anyone too much as the Canadian Navy is a bit underpowered right now

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

Ive spent most of the weekend watching Classic Pans routines and my admiration of them as gone up tenfold. Unfortunately this is a routine that didn't feature to much for me, and i doubt id be playing it again in a hurry. I much prefer the other `Pans on a ship` thing (which will be screened at the Derby event in September).

I dont mind the song to much, but the routine just seems so distant, with the intimacy of the studio sadly lacking. Cant say i go a bundle on the outfits either.

DOTD--Yep `Babs` seems to be the best on deck.

Rating--`7 out of 10`

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

Gorgeous Daze
This was an amazing treat for the boys on board (though it would have seemed more of an occasion if they had been seated around in closer company) but at an often blurry distance and not being up my shipping lane it's underwhelming. Twee outfits, instantly forgettable song, dancing to match in a style that doesn't interest me. 10/10 for Vin's dubbing and intro, 3.5/10 for the routine. The Platoon is (almost) united in the face of the Navy.  DOTD Andi.

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

Mikey
Well my previous idea of a warship performance was Cher's rather dodgy 'If I could turn back time', and my brain couldnt erase that one. Thankfully Pans People present a more wholesome if slightly dull performance here. Its a nice setting of course, outdoors in the sunshine, and the whole idea of these very girly dressed dancers amoungst some serious military hardware is a parodoxical one, the dance equivalent of shoving a flower into a canon maybe. The song is nice and inoffensive but maybe something more dramatic could have made better use of the setting. Not a dud but not all that great either, 6.5/10. DOTD Flick.

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

This flimed routine on a aircraft carrier and being watch by the Sailors. The ladies are wearing white dresses and big floppy hats. Again a nice routine to a good song by Barbara Streisand.

The Dotd must go to Flick for me.

The score 8 out of 10.

Re: STONEY END -- 1971

Old Grey Whistler
First of all, a big well done to our host for a great effort with the dubbing.  I also have to say that I'm really surprised that Barbara Streisand was releasing songs as long ago as 1962 - I didn't realise she was that old!
Anyway on to the dance. I do like location shoots and this is no exception.  The hot weather has obviously dictated the choice of costumes, particularly the wide brimmed hats, and due to the location I guess it was difficult to do too many close up shots.  I assume the final shot was taken from the helicopter that the girls had been dancing in front of. The end result is pretty good so I will score it 8 out of 10
DOTD is not an easy choice but Babs gets it.
I'll bet the sailors were talking about this day for ages afterwards!

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Well you know what I don't rate this one at all, nice scenery etc, but it feels like Pans are here lets film something and fit it to some limp insipid number. it doesn't gel with me at all, glad it's still around but I wouldn't miss it, if i had the choice to save a dozen more wiped clips, i would certain plump for that option.

Scores: a passing ship of 4/10

DOTD: the ship, no ok, errr Babs then

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Another one which doesn't excite me.The setting is stunning but the song and the dancing are nothing special.4/10
DotD:Ruth

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Doc
Not one I go back to very often, the location helps make it interesting and I quite like the 'Little Bo-Peep' look. 7/10.
DotD; I'll abstain on this one as it's mostly long shots.

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Dancer
I tend not to bother with this one too much.  I like Barbra Streisand but not this song.  It really grates on my nerves when she sings this (as she does when she sings Main Event).  I have watched this routine about three times since I have had it for the past 20 years and I will award this one seven out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Andrea.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

Everything'sRosie
First of all, I was intrigued by the location. I've got a mate who lives in Plymouth so I know the area pretty well. After a few watches I was more or less convinced I could pinpoint the location to a spot just west of Devonport before the Tamar Bridge...on a very hot day. In fact I'd stake my reputation on it.

Just checked...it was Mombasa, Kenya.

Love the song though. Streisand can certainly belt out a number, no mistaking that. The dance is a bit uninspired, though I like the costumes and the sailor boys turned up in numbers to watch.

Marks: Just a 7/10 and a vote for a very well sun-tanned Ruth

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

CoffeeThing
I bet they were the most popular people onboard that ship! Enjoyed the dance, the twirls, the outfits and the music. The girls were great. 7.75/10 and DOTD Flick, for that close-up.

Re: STONEY END -- 30/12/1971

mojo2007
I find this difficult to rate, so will suggest a 7. Babs seems to have enjoyed herself most