STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF Dance/performance number 180 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Frantique  reaching number 10 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  13/09/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.32 mins
Dancers--Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      162
Pauline 161
Rosie    159
Patti     158
Gill       156
Lulu      154
Links to the dance - http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x276mbu_legs-co-strut-your-funky-stuff-totp-tx-13-09-1979_creation
also
http://legsandco.blogspot.co.uk/2011/02/legs-co-strut-your-funky-stuff.html

For me this is one i really wanted to see on BBC4, as for some reason its difficult to watch a really decent visual clip of this anywhere on the internet. A song bursting with disco energy is given royal treatment by Legs & Co, who put on a splendid show. Like a few routines previously, this is like watching six girls having fun at the disco, just letting their hair down and having a ball. Though i admit their choice of outfits for their night on the town may have been chosen better, a bit rag-a-muffin for my taste. Its one of those routines where we will all look at our favourite girl, because they all are bang on the money, but lets face it guys this one is owned by one particular dancer. The quite magnificent Lulu, who is simply on fire. Never have i seen a Legs & Co dancer enjoying herself like this and that is portrayed in her selection of smiley faces. What a gorgeous 18 year old young lady she was, and how sexy does her hair look these days. A far cry from the tight constraints on her head the previous year.

DOTD-without a shadow of doubt its `LULU`, easiest choice ive ever made.

Rating-Not great availble footage, not great oufits. Love the song, terrific dancing, sexy dancers. Ooh, can i get this to a max. Almost, but not quite. `9.75 out of 10`, but id happily watch this over and over gain, shame its not top notch footage.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

SuPaLu
A fantastic dance and one of their best ever.So much joy and energy.Thanks to the show that Neil Barratt posted,the beautiful colours of their dresses are very striking.10/10
DotD:Lulu

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

VintageVideos
SuPaLu wrote
Neil Barratt
No relation to Chris, it's Neil Barker

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

This is a great party number and Legs & Co really let loose.  I love to see them dance free and unfettered by props/columns/audience/plants and to see the joy of performance in their faces.  Yes lovely Lulu has those happy eyes in action and an irresistible smile going here and is triumphant and glorious but there's strong competition for DotD from a rocking Rosie, sensational Sue and playful Pauline.  Patti and Gill were quieter here from my perspective but the Troupe as a whole excels and this Dance is well worth 9.5/10  for me.  It loses half a point for the avant-garde outifts about which I agree with our host.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

It's a great shame that we've had to miss out on what would've been one of Legs & Co.'s greatest ever dance routines, being broadcast in near HD quality.
There's heaps of fun being had by all dancers, with Lulu placed strategically at the centre of attention, to indicate that she really owns this dance routine.
Curiously the costumes, look like they've been made into the most random of fashions, as it were, but it's rather 'funky stuff', so in keeping with the backing track title, they've just gotta 'strut' it.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

A wonderfully joyful routine and while the outfits are avant-garde I feel they suit the nature of the dance, although I'd have chosen slightly brighter hues, so 9.5 for this one with Lulu for Dotd.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

PattiForPM
  BTW I had to have a bit of a chuckle (as well as massive admiration) about the photo montage above which might suggest to some a certain Host bias regarding DotD.  I think it might exceed my own barely concealed feelings about Cherry in Soul City Walk on the RF Thread and almost reaches the following heights:

         http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xi-agPf95M

  Just remember folks Hosts are only human

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

This next routine is so far away from the last one you could get. We get the ladies in true disco mood at they best. Just a true disco dance and a joyful one at that. All the the ladies on good form. Every time I watch it grow more on you just wonderful to watch.

The Dotd will have to go to the wonderful smiling face of Lulu who is enjoying it from start to finish. With close second going to the beautiful Sue.

The score is 9 out of 10.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I originally didn't think much of the outfits here, but on re-watching, they're clearly cleverly designed for dancing in: covering up while at rest, and revealing in motion:  i find them delightful.

American soul & disco records were bread & butter for Legs & Co (and their predecessors): original performers unavailable, promo films & videos still a rarity, and music that was by its very nature designed for dancing. Flick wisely keeps it simple here, choreographing from a palette of natural disco moves.

My recently post blog version (more accurate movement between frames)  is from different source than my original blog post (less noisy image quality). Which is best will come down to personal opinion, I'm sure: best to watch both.

DotD: I don't like to follow the herd, but it's undeniable: Lulu of course.

7/10.

You've all done vey well!

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Ryan, the DM link in your post is not correct, should be http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x276mbu_legs-co-strut-your-funky-stuff-totp-tx-13-09-1979_creation

Oh and a little typo in the artist name.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Cheers Mikey, typo ammended. I think Andee may have, erm `tweaked` his DM upload since my intro posting. Best we just leave it at that !!

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Just to redress the balance

Now I'm happy

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

VintageVideos
Decent disco track but bit strange clothes which slighty impair the rating to

8.5 / 10

DotD: Rosie (seriously)

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Colm
If there was ever a dancer which conveyed such love and fun when doing her job, it's Lulu here. Her sheer joy and passion is the focal point of this routine, and it's so infectious. Rosie is also such a delight to see lose herself in the dance, and I love Sue's smile to the camera during the "Move it like a slow roller coaster" line.

However, what stops this getting a full 10 from me is the lack of focus for Gill - she's in the group shots, but never gets a close-up, which is a crying shame.

Score: 9.5

DotD: Lulu is the attraction, sho'nuff.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

AC/PD
Although choreographed, the atmosphere generated by the American disco sound of Frantique lends this routine a feeling of joyous freestyle dancing, similar in tone to the 'Ain't No Stopping Us Now' dance from a few months earlier.
Lulu garnered the highest amount of DOTD nominations back for the McFadden & Whitehead number, something she'll accomplish in this instance too, but with a clean-ish sweep of the board. The relationship between Lulu and the camera is fairly immense, both thriving on the occasion and the joy she's having is plain for all to see.
Although the costumes allow for freedom of movement, those shredded Molly Parkin type numbers don't look entirely flattering and if the costumes from Ain't No Stopping Us Now could have made a reappearance, this would have been a 10.
An honourable mention must go to Rosie who, like fellow teenager Lulu, is also having a whale of an energetic time on the dance floor.
9/10
DOTD: Lulu
LNV

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

LNV
I really do not like Lulu's Hair Explosion style as shown here. This is the worst ever, or maybe second only to what is seen in Green Onions. How can someone go from a distinctive and imaginative looking hair-cut as Lulu charmingly displays in Ruby Flipper and to the slow out growing of that to a sprightly natural curly mop in the early days of Legs & Co to this windswept messiness , with hair that flops about all over the place ? Is it important in the grand scheme of things, nah of course not but my disappointment is that I've noticed a hair-line fracture in the pedestal of a Goddess.

This is an impressionistic dance, all swirls of colour from the dresses and a jerky dance-style, like looking through a kaleidoscope from what we are allowed to see. Lulu is the most sparkling, her face lit up with bubbly fun looks as though she was given her own key-light by the technical crew.  Lulu often the cameraman’s favourite as it seems to me, as Sue was Flick’s favourite in being The Dancer of the troupe; with the focus literally on her Lulu obviously cannot go unnoticed.

Rosie’s hair is too severe looking, tightly pulled back into a pony tail. Rosie is back to the serious school Headmistress look which I find somewhat out of place in a frothy dance number as this.
Overall Flick has achieved through her choices of dance and dress/set design, a happy time piece. A dance that is uplifting to watch.

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

PattiForPM
Interesting LNV.  Of course this is all a matter of opinion but I do agree about Rosie's hairstyle here being a bit constrained; however I love Lulu's unruly mane in this one and think it's just right for this hyperactive performance.  I do think both styles frame these lady's expressive faces very well but I'd love to have seen Rosie's hair dancing with her as Lulu's does

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Gorgeous Daze
This has an easy, letting-their-hair-down vibe and it could pass for a good play-out dance to leave viewers with a feel-good aftertaste, as well as being perfectly satisfactory as the sole feature. The song shines moderately in the disco firmament for me and I'm not keen on the costumes, which are like something out of Aladdin and hide those lovely figures despite affording a flash of flesh. At least my favourite got one of the off-the-shoulder numbers. With typical attention to detail Flick has noted that the funky strutting is done in the dark, but happily the girls are lit well enough. The galvanizing essence of the song is extracted - 'You don't have to dance like Travolta' - and we witness a great energetic night on the dance-floor of apparent simplicity. The egalitarian call for action meets its climax near the end with most of the girls grabbing a mini-turn in the spotlight.

Does DOTD Lulu actually dance better than the rest? I doubt it, but she's just alive. Bursting with such fun it's palpable and you half imagine she's about to jump out the screen at you! I'm expecting some choice adjectives when OB gets round to this one...

7.5/10

Re: STRUT YOUR FUNKY STUFF [September]

Adorable Gillusion
6.5/10   DOTD...Lulu