SULTANS OF SWING [April]

SULTANS OF SWING  Dance/performance number 159 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Dire Staits   reaching number 8 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  05/04/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.43 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 142
Sue      142
Rosie    139
Patti     138
Gill       135
Lulu      134
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1lw2ji_legs-co-sultans-of-swing-totp-tx-05-04-1979_creation

Well, without wanting to sound like a stuck record, once again im blowed over as to how good this looked on a TV screen in all its high definition glory compared to the many times ive watched it on my PC screen, there's just no comparison. Everything just came to life, and even those drab looking outfits seemed okay and what strange looking costumes they were. They material reminded me of war-time women in the 1940s, yet underneath that they were in full figure hugging Lycra and silver high heels, most bizarre indeed.

I do like the look of the set, the circular pit with its lights works very well, as does the flashing lights and round mirrors. The routine that Flick produced caught the mood of the song really well, all the pointing, slow hip swaying, slow strutting fitted perfectly. Oh and mention must go to Rosie, its always a pleasure to see the crimped hairstyle. I cant say ive ever been a fan of Dire Straits, but this song is pretty good.

Well on to my DOTD. Well every bone and instinct in my body says i must give it to Sue for her opening salvo, complete with her sultry look to camera. But i refuse to be blinkered by personnel favorites (like some of you seem to be ). Instead im quite smitten with `Patti` in this. She looked damn fine when the camera stayed on her in the middle of the routine for quite a while.

Rating, before this had the BBC4 treatment, i would have gone as low as 7.5, but now ive seen this in all its glory (ie-on the box) im gained a new respect for it and will quite happily give this `9.5 out of 10`.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Suefan
Legs hit another one right out of the park with this pitch perfect spot of sultanization which hits the ground running with Sue's smashing sultry start and doesn't let up for a moment.  The split level set is a real winner and the costumes, although a tad odd, fit the routines moves very well, as indeed does the entire look and, although it would struggle to quite make my top five for 1979, this still scores a 10 from me.

As for Dotd I'm sticking with my boney instincts and while Lulu might lay back with style, Patti pout with aplomb, Pauline purr with perfection, Gill gyrate with panache, and Rosie writhe with a vengeance, I'm still choosing Susan for that simply mesmerizing shoulder shimmying opening.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

bucksby
good routine, haven't seen it for ages. the outfits are drab, the set looks something from the mid 70s but the ladies are great. Sue shone early but I agree with Ryan Patti looks fab here and she gets my DOTD. The routine gets an 8

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Everything about this routine  is absolutely fine by me, apart from the costumes, that make the ladies look as if they've gotten dressed in a hurry, & just put anything on that they could find first. But I can easily forget about that, I like the circular dip in the stage with the lighting about it, with the dancing concentrated within that tight area, it made for a rather nice intimate feel.

8/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

I have been a Dire Straits devotee ever since I saw Mark and the Boys perform in De Montford Hall in Leicester in the late 70s and even more since I heard my first CD which was Making Movies in 1980 if my recollection is correct.  Anyway I do  like the song and I love the performance which is smooth and sultry, as others have already mentioned.  The costumes are indeed a little unusual but as I've said many times these ladies look piping hot in those tight suits and they work with many different coverings, as they do here.  I think Flick sometimes strove for the "girl next door" look and this is what I see here in terms of the kitchen curtain frocks but the beauty and heat shine right through and this gets a 9.5/10  from me too.  DotD is between Sue and Patti for me but I find myself unable to vote against Patti when she adopts that hypnotic detached look so once again a victimless crime occurs.  May I also say that this is perhaps the only time I have mouthed the words "please move aside Lulu" as at 0.43.  There, I feel better for having confessed that.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

AC/PD
It's strange how much a better quality BBC4 broadcast can increase the attraction of a dance routine which looked rather ho-hum previously.
That said, I think it's just the sheer exuberence of the ladies which elevate the routine beyond mediocrity, their spirit giving it some pizazz. They look carefree and happy and that's what transmits through the gogglebox. Even the Hilda Ogden overalls looked less drab on BBC4. The lycra costumes worn beneath look as though they originate from the Something Else routine, albeit with a colour swaparound.
Would have been nice to see a the ladies perform a bit of air-guitar to accompany the Guitar George line perhaps, but at least those slender arms do indeed 'swing' throughout.
Looks as if a few of them may have decamped to the hairdressers during the week: Rosie emerging with a crimped hairstyle and Pauline back to the classic bob last seen around late 1977. Must admit the lengthier style from late '78, as seen in the Dance (Disco Heat) routine, looked good on her too.
As for DOTD, that was practically determined half a minute in, with Sue's shimmying solo. Has she been at Patti's make-up? Nice little solo moments from Lulu too, giving it some amusing facial attitude as usual.
7/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Lookmacinanger
A feel good dance to this swing track, performance looks much sharper now thanks to this latest showing. The costumes are ideal for the routine, but I have some reservations about the set they were asked to use, what is it a drained out Jacuzzi waiting for maintenance they are stepping in and out of, also were those lights borrowed from QPR’s Loftus Road ground. A good effort but not high up on my 1979 playlist. 7/10, Dotd Sue (great intro)

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Adorable Gillusion
5/10   DOTD...Sue

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

The ladies are dancing to the song "Sultans of Swing ". The ladies are wearing their training gear on with different coloured dresses on top. And with silver high heels on their feet. The set is a doughnut shaped and with flashing lights around the middle. The routine is very simple but very effective to watch, as the ladies are swing and swaying to the song. In the first moment we get a great solo from Sue. Who dose some great shimmies and hip moments. All the ladies look great especial Patti.

But the Dotd must go to Sue.

But the routine has to have a good score and that his 8 out of 10.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Andeebee
I think the leggings were last used in 1977 for the Rita Coolidge number, hope they were washed after that.....with what looks like old brushed cotton Wyncette nighties over the top

A strange routine to a Dire track, not really sure what to make of it to be honest....mmm, whilst I contemplate this I will score it

9.5/10

DOTD: well Sue gets it just for the her routine at the top of this clip.....

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

JEZ
im not really a dire straits fan ,although I used to play their single walk of life a lot ,the ladies look lovely in their outfits on this one ,choreography is great it gets an 8.5 from me

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

PaulF
Pleasant routine, great song, not too keen on the costumes. 7.5/10

DOTD The shimmying Sue.
Paul

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Old Grey Whistler
I like the song, didn't realise it came out as long ago as 1979.
It looks as though the girls have interrupted their housework for a spot of dancing. It is probably not the easiest song to come up with a routine for but they do a good job. It seems as though they are constantly given stages that involve steps and other obstacles to negotiate.
I will score this 8 out of 10. Sue wins DOTD in the opening moments of this performance with her solo.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

VintageVideos
I always liked the song but after viewing this routine for the first time last Thursday, I couldn't quite fathom why some of you rated it so highly. So I gave it another "spin"... and another.... and I have to say it has really grown on me. Each time I watch it there is something new to discover, there is much more going on than I initially realized. A good portion of fun and humour as well. But why oh why the kitchen costumes!?

9 / 10

DotD: Lulu

P.S.: "classic" TB intro: "I want you to look just over there... cause they're gonna dire-ance to Dire Straits and Sultans of Swing..."

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Gorgeous Daze
The deluxe Subbuteo floodlights are fine but I'm ambivalent about the pit. I like the design and I keep half expecting to see a ball-bearing go whirring round in ever decreasing circles until the bulls-eye opens up and it disappears. But it restricts the dancing. The girls' outer layer of domestic drudgery was frankly a mistake and it should have been whipped off after a minute for optimum swinging. The dancing gives me the impression the girls are just coasting: having a bit of a bop. Some of it, including the attitude of Sue's early solo, is reminiscent of a not quite as tongue in cheek version of 'Something Else'.  As Vin found, repeated viewing reveals there's actually a lot more to it than initially seems to be the case. But nevertheless, though it's pleasant enough on the eye the solid foundation this good song provided should have had more made of it.

DOTD the nonchalantly hot Patti  6.5/10

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Colm
"Sultans of Swing" is a song I grew up hearing regularly on one of "Dad's car tapes", and for me, Legs do it justice. I love Sue's opening gambit, the triple sets, the "Check out Guitar George" part in time with the rhythm.

DotD: I was definitely swayed by Sue, and went potty over Patti, but once she takes to the inside of the "donut" and lunges at the limelight, for me, it's a vote for Lulu

Score: 8.5

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Mikey
Really enjoyed this. The way they utilise that odd circular stage is just fantastic. Sue leads with a short solo but then the dancers split into sets of 3 doing their own variations of the dance on the stage or in the hob like the centre circle. All six are then on the stage for the "guitar george" bit before swapping over, and then finally all six are back on the stage at the end, phew!. Sue and Patti are playing it cool, but my favourite by far is Lulu who is so amusing to watch, her expressions make me chuckle each time i watch it. The song is not really one i would choose to play but in this context i don't mind it at all. 9/10 DOTD Lulu

Re: SULTANS OF SWING [April]

I love all the swaying and swinging and the shoulder shaking;it all fits in very well with the music.9/10
DotD:Lulu
Glenn
Stu

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Stu
Great song with a routine that flowed perfectly along with it.... take a bow Flick!

8.5/10

DOTD - Lulu

Stuey

P.S GD I loved your Subbuteo floodlight reference. I bought some when I was younger and I don't think I've ever had such an extreme contrast of excitement and disappointment as I had that day when I turned them on.

Re: SULTANS OF SWING

Old Bill
PattiForPM wrote
May I also say that this is perhaps the only time I have mouthed the words "please move aside Lulu" as at 0.43.  There, I feel better for having confessed that.
Mr P4PM!! How dare thee! :-o

hehe
Jeremiah 31:13
12