SUMMER OF MY LIFE

       Summer of My Life was written and performed by Simon May and was included in the series Crossroads as an accompaniment to some happenings which may or may not have had something to do with Meg, Hugh or perhaps Sandy Richardson according to who you believe (I am no Crossroads expert although I seem to recall watching it with my Mum in the early days).  Simon was born in 1944 in Devizes, which always seems to me similar to saying born into servitude or poverty although I'm sure Devizes is actually a very nice place; it just doesn't really sound like a place at all but more like some kind of plural hardship.  Anyway I digress, Mr May has made quite a name for himself writing Theme music for TV series including the very famous Eastenders Theme (I was old enough not to have to watch this with my mother) and Howard's Way as well as writing a number of other songs included in Crossroads and Eastenders over the years.  His own recording career however was a bit more limited with Summer of My Life being his biggest hit to my knowledge and reaching #7.  Corrections will be accepted reluctantly but with a certain sense of inevitability.

          SUMMER OF MY LIFE        -        Simon May                                Oct 14th 1976

                                                         DANCER:   Lulu

                              LINK:        http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x265q9p_ruby-flipper-summer-of-my-life-totp-tx-14-10-1976_creation

    This performance was on the last Ruby Flipper Show in mid October, the Year of Our Legs & Co (sorry).  I will not belabor the point but I don't like it.  Lulu is present for only about a minute (noun) in total and is also minute (adjective).  The song and particularly its singing are not impeccable.  Lulu's blue dress is attractive but I think this dance might test the mettle of even the most ardent of those Lulu fanatics.  I can only give 2/10    but sincerely hope some redeeming features occur to others

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Paperboyplod
I'm just going to concentrate on what little do Lulu we saw here, & mark according to that for the sake of fairness.
She looks absolutely beautiful in that dress of her regular colour, doing some neat twirling there, although I'd liked to have seen some close-up shots of her, but really this was one of those performances that was more about the actual musician, so we can't ask for much more than we'd got I'm guessing.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Suefan
Lulu does all that is asked of her but the song isn't up to much so despite her neat spins and nice blue dress I'm afraid this only gets a 3 as it is a clip I rarely if ever play.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Reminds me to some degree of Ruby Flipper debut night as one of them is selected to appear superimposed on the screen, if only in miniature with the artist singing. Then it was jobsworth Floid and it was to a bit of an old duffer of a song.

On this the final evening, its Lulus turn and the song and its delivery ain't much better. Yes its Lulu and we all love her, but i only awarded the Tina Charles dirge a 3 and i cant better it here.

Rating-`3 out of 10`

By the way this totals 67 seconds of Lulu loveliness, in three hits. But the song seemed to go on forever.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PaulF
Nowhere near enough Lulu time here so I agree with the others and give it a 3.
Paul

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

VintageVideos
Ok this isn't exactly a tremendous performance. Yet the song isn't that bad really. There's even a touch of John Miles in it if you listen carefully. Lulu is lovely, as always I may say, performing more or less rather basic dance moves.

I find this much more watchable than "Love Me Like A Lover" so I'm giving

5 / 10

Simon May even recorded a German version of this song called "Sommerwein". Fortunately I never heard it.

Vin

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Old Grey Whistler
I suppose this invokes direct comparison with Loves Me Like a Lover.  Both songs are dire and in both cases our dancers are miniaturised and have little camera time. One difference though is that while Floid was made to look ridiculous by his outfit, Lulu looks very elegant. I have to say as well that in the time she gets she dances very nicely and copes well with the changing tempo of the song.
I will give her a 5 out of 10.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PattiForPM
Thanks lads.  I suppose comparisons with the pretty much universally derided Love me like a Lover are inevitable and Lulu's appeal seems to be carrying the day to me although I do think this song is superior too.  I do wish there had been some Lulu close-ups and I think Mr May should have found a better singer than himself but it does look as if this might end up ahead of LMLAL anyway.  Maybe I'm jumping the gun though.......

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Mikey
Drippy and sacharine song which seems to be trying to be John Miles 'Music' and lagging someway behind, which is a bit like me trying to race Usain Bolt. I can't help but think that the producers have missed a trick here, seeing 'tiny dancer' Lulu superimposed atop the piano at the start, it looks wonderful, slightly magical even.

Having stayed with this the whole time it could have created a nice little routine, but its not to be, the shots of Lulu are few and far between and watching Simon tinkling the ivories is not exactly inspiring, and turn your collar down man!

Overall, its not as awful as the Tina Charles one, and i'm feeling generous, 4.5/10

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Gorgeous Daze
Is this a grown man or a wet schoolboy who's led a sheltered life pouring the secrets of his diary into song? I suspect he just chatted with his beloved at the bus-stop a few times and blew it up in his mind into something magnificent. The sweet and innocent object of his besotted emotions looks a lot like Lulu, herself just months out of school. Floating in miniature because she's in his mind and in the past, a thought without a bubble.

Those piano lessons paid-off, it's a pity mummy and daddy couldn't tell their darling he can't sing. Racier and turbulent thoughts are represented by proggy instrumental sections, that's what his older brother got him into. I agree with Vin that the music isn't bad, and if it had been John Miles I would have liked to see more drama from Lulu. But when the singing's this weak and soppy that would be unfitting. What she does is appropriate and performed quite well, and she looks very elegant. There's little to mark or mark down strictly in terms of dancing, but lovely Lulu's vignette does work I think and it's definitely welcome in what is a relatively long performance. I'll settle on 4.5/10 too.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PattiForPM
Thanks for your attention lads.  Poor Simon does indeed seem ill-suited to performing vocally and darn it all he's losing marks for Lulu.  Can other knights in shining armour save this distressed damsel?  Otherwise she won't be able to join the Charts at all for this outing and I know there are many who would be in mourning in that event.   I beseech thee kind folk....

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Paperboyplod
Maybe there should be a chart specifically for solo dance routines, & Lulu gets Summer Of My Life into that.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PattiForPM
I don't think there are enough Ruby Flipper solos to make this worthwhile PBP and so far SOML is only beating LMLAL but maybe you mean solos by all Dance Troupes?  I was referring to the fact that only 9 members have so far rated this Dance so it doesn't yet qualify for the main ratings table which needs 10 ratings (arbitrarily, I admit )

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

BeautifulBabs
p4pm I will bring up the numbers to 10 later but dont expect much generosity in marking

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PattiForPM
Good man BB.  Consider yourself Lulu's Knight (even if the score isn't a 10!)

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

BeautifulBabs
likes ,
lulu
no obvious errors
song though not in this key or with the writer's dubious singing voice
not so good,
a fig leaf of a routine
choreography just a bit twirly
lulu doesn't get much airtime and no close ups
lulu is over dressed

2.5 inc a bonus half mark for the howards way theme tune mr may

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Yeah I was alluding to a chart covering all dancers, whatever dance troupe they were a part of.

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Thanks again for making up the numbers BB.  I know you'd rather be watching You Little Trustmaker in your tea-break.  Lulu's minimum opus has joined the chart but more opinions would be more than welcome folks

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

Colm
Song = boring. Glimpses of Lulu = lovely. A shame this was her last true solo, and she never had a moment to shine alone during Legs.

Score: 5

Re: SUMMER OF MY LIFE

PattiForPM
THanks Colm and sorry for mistaking you for a cobaltmale.  Lulu did get some endless love in Legs & Co but as you say no true solo although she certainly managed to shine in many performances.  This is one of the many Ruby Flipper strengths for me in that Flick seemed to be trying many different combinations and numbers of dancers