SUNDAY GIRL [May]

SUNDAY GIRL    Dance/performance number 165 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Blondie   reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  17/05/79  Duration of dance/performance 2.49 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 148
Sue      148
Rosie    145
Patti     144
Gill       141
Lulu      140
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1ttawn_legs-co-sunday-girl-totp-tx-17-05-1979_creation

  The second of three Blondie songs that Legs & Co danced to on TOTPs and all three found their way to the top of the charts. I wonder if Legs ladies performances helped the watching TV public to go out and purchase the singles, because in all three routines Legs brought their `A` game. I cant think of any other routine that starts of with three stunning close-ups like this one, an instant hook if ever there was one. The camera then pans back to reveal the other three girls in their figure hugging black numbers. Seldom have i seen all six look so stunning.
  The set is quite simple, and once again takes on the Black & White hue which was so prevalent in 1979. Those `Sultans Of Swing` lights get another outing as well. The routine contains so many nice moments its rather difficult to list them all, a screen-grabbers delight one may say. I guess the Sue/Lulu alliance will grab most of the attention, didn't they both look so slender. The ending had that bit of risque attached to it, with Patti dangling that key. I wonder what she was suggesting !

   For DOTD, well i expect lots of choices amongst you guys. But im loathe to give it to Sue or Lulu, just seems a shame to split them. No for me im going with the sultry and curvacious `Gill`, who i think reveled in this situation, plenty of slinking about the place, matched with lots of alluring pouts.

Rating, well back the spring of 79, Legs & Co had honed their craft to such a degree that to find a poor/boring routine is very scarce indeed. It does help though with having so many top tunes to dance to. So i can see no reason not to award another maximum `10 out of 10`.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Paperboyplod
There's striking similarities between this Blondie dance routine, & Heart Of Glass, Flick must've had the latter on her mind, when had to figure this one out, I'll just mention what's peculiar to this routine, which is the shadows formations between Lulu, & Sue, who're hardly apart at any time, & Patti, separating herself from the rest of the ladies, so she's obviously the Sunday Girl, by my reckoning.

9/10

DotD:-

Rosie

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

PattiforPM
This is my #1 Dance.  I love it and I love the slinky dresses and the whole design of the dance is perfect as far as I'm concerned.  Of course the song is brilliant too.  The Troupe looks drop dead gorgeous as I'm sure you'll all agree.  I am a little puzzled about the DotD as I really thought this was a two horse race but I'm rarely right about such things.  Anyway for me Patti is absolutely the Bomb here and that little key-shake smile and the walk away from the camera slay me every time without exception so she demands DotD honours from me.  Gill is excellent and quite dominant here too and all the Dancers do their part with style and grace adding up to a potent formula.  Yup this is a 10 if ever I saw one

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

mojo2007
It's simple, a 10. All the dancers look lovely but Patti does her scene stealing again.  at that point Blondie could do no wrong  and everything clicks.  Mojo

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

A superb dance,i love it.The dresses,the song,the dancing,and the set are all great.The first time Gill does her little solo bit is so fabulous and beautifully done,i love it.Another favourite bit is to 'hurry up' when they dance in twos until they are in a line and then we see the close-ups.Patti's key moment and her walk back to the others is just perfect.10/10
DotD:Gill

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

mojo2007 wrote
It's simple, a 10. All the dancers look lovely but Patti does her scene stealing again.  at that point Blondie could do no wrong  and everything clicks.  Mojo
Thanks for taking part in the `L&Co comments section` Mojo. I wonder if you have considered revisiting any of your other favourite Legs routines between 76 & 79 and offering brief comments and ratings on any of those. You would be most welcome to.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

bucksby
Great routine to a fantastic song. The ladies look great and the outfits work well too and they look very sexy. Gill is the DOTD and the routine gets a 9

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

AC/PD
"Really tastefully done" was Peter Powell's absolutely appropriate summary of a routine which appealed even before the singing had started, because screen-grabs for half the troupe had already been determined, five seconds in!
All six look stunningly sophisticated, helped in no small part by the respectable dress lengths which provees that it's not what they wear but the way that they wear it. They certainly get results.
Interesting pairings in this routine: Pauline and Patti bonding as the brunettes, Lulu and Sue practically mirror-imaging each other's moves as well as in the identically-styled hair stakes, Rose and Gill with the full-length flicks.
If there could be a three-way tie for DOTD it would make selection so much easier. Patti's moment with the padlock is topped off by the 'in my own time' walk back to the others followed by that 'who me?' reactionary giggle shows how entertaining and alluring subtlety can be. However, there is a fierocious three-way fight for the top spot in opeartion here. Returning to the subject of pairings, this routine is a total triumph for the group and the troupe.
10/10
DOTD: Rosie

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Pauline's Dimples wrote
Interesting pairings in this routine: Pauline and Patti bonding as the brunettes, Lulu and Sue practically mirror-imaging each other's moves as well as in the identically-styled hair stakes, Rose and Gill with the full-length flicks.
DOTD: Rosie
Yes we have seen those pairings before.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

VintageVideos
"The Shuffle" 1977... oops wrong thread

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Wow, I could end it here but I won't.

I like this routine alot, the beginning mirrors Blondie's Parallel Lines LP, and ending on the wonderful dangling of the key to open Patti's padlock (whoa), also like the hurry up refrain to Patti as she slowly makes her way back to the line.

Blondie at their height of dance-ability and Legs at their height of snog-ability - great track, all six ladies in those slinky numbers - yowsah knock out.....haven't been that excited by slinky dresses since 'Don't Leave Me this Way'

It's gonna be hard to pick DOTD: but I knew when I saw the routine it was only gonna be one girl - Patti

10/10 from me, as it couldn't be anything less

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

The Shuffle version 2 1977 Vin

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Im gonna ruffle a certain persons feathers here, but apart from the key dangling, i hardly noticed Patti all that much in this routine. Those Blondes kept distracting me.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Andeebee
The blondes were distracting, but I gave it on merit rather than who one fancies, unlike a certain over the seas fella

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

AC/PD
Ha-ha. Good one.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

PattiforPM
My ears are burning

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Andeebee
you prob come in from the cold P4PM

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

No overseas fella has quite confessed to fancying anyone.

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

Mikey
Sorry off topic, but what a great pic of Debbie that is.

Ok, back on track....

Re: SUNDAY GIRL [May]

VintageVideos
Yes Mikey, now that you mention it, Ryan has done some great work in the past weeks with all the sleeve images that he added to his intros