SUNNY --[March]

SUNNY  -- Dance number 28 by Legs & Co.
Performed by  Boney M and reaching No 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  24/03/77 -- Duration of dance 2.27
Dancers -- Lulu,Patti,Pauline,Rosie,Sue.

Lulu 28                      Pauline 28                 Rosie 28
Sue 28                       Patti 26                     Gill 25
Something to look out for -- Well does Rosie mouth the word `you` or is she just in pout mode at 1.17 mins ?
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25cqr7_legs-co-sunny-totp-tx-24-03-1977_creation

This is for me a dance totally ruined by the intrusive scenery that obscures the dancers for a lot of this routine, an example of which can be seen in my screen-cap. Why this was allowed to happen i have no idea, but it will affect my scoring. Not a bad song, the dance itself was simple but quite effective, the dresses well don't do it for me. Lots of nice smiles from the girls but its only a 6 out of 10 from me.

Re: SUNNY

Suefan
A nice enough middle of the road number but I'm not a fan of those costumes.

Re: SUNNY

Paperboyplod
Well, it was insightful for the camera crew to actually get inside the enclosure around the middle the duration of this dance routine. With that yellow diagonal patterning, it looked like the girls were performing at a roadside works unit.
There are some positive points though, I absolutely loved the dresses, very elegant, & the dancing was pretty great as well!

Re: SUNNY

PattiforPM
A good performance by our idols and I also like those flame-bottomed dresses and seams always look fantastic on legs as perfect as these.  A pleasant little ditty by Boney M.  I must admit the "trellis" does detract somewhat and the routine just falls short of the real showstoppers for me.  7/10

Re: SUNNY

Love the dresses and the song.Some good dancing too,esspecially like the instrumental break onwards.I don't mind the scenery,it makes for some interestingly framed shots of the dancers - 9/10.

Re: SUNNY --1977

Lookmacinanger
This for me should have been a great routine, all the ingredients where there but it just didn't happen with this one. We had the hypontic sound of Boney M with the 'High Hat' lending a constant beat to the track and this should have made it potentially into a classic but alas not. Also trellis is for gardens not stages but still who are we to judge. 7/10

Re: SUNNY --1977

Not only does Rosie seem to mouth "you", it looks like she's mouthing "Sunny" at around 0.26!

Re: SUNNY --1977

Floid Fan
I agree that it is a great pity the studio direction spolied this by having the camera stay outside the trellis for the most part, as the dance routine looked really rather good and it helped that the song was a good 'un and all. 7 out of 10.
Carl

Re: SUNNY --1977

74benja81
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SUNNY --1977

Andeebee
8 for the song 7 for the routine, just a bit too crowded for me
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

LNV

Re: SUNNY --1977

LNV
I like these dresses a lot, they are great! They curve round into the small of the back to sweep out into tails of flame. Just made for the ‘female animal’, and as she looks here my favourite ‘sexy beast’ Rosie whose shape it flatters the most .  A marvellous design that allows Legs & Co to be glamorous and riveting to look at. A pity that the scenery does intrude more than I would like but a glimpse of Rosie with her long flowing locks ending in a bunch of golden curls, the style I like the best for her, is worthy of my fullest attention. Pauline too who I notice has a hair-styling that I find appropriately agreeable, simple and stylish. Ever reliable Sue has her trade mark spinning-top moment if ever so briefly, as is Sue’s or should I say rather Flick’s way for her in most of the dance performances.

When I first saw this Routine on the Blog its impact was greater with me than it is later on and I think this is because I need now to see more of the Routine itself. All the dancers together in formation, which only happens towards the end. Patti shows that she is an accomplished dancer yet again, technically very capable which while true is of no interest as there is much skill but little sizzle. And as everyone knows that is what finally sells to the audience. Lulu seems somewhat out of place, the freshest of fresh faces among Legs & Co which made me speculate that she had skipped school to be with her dance-chums once more, the cheeky girl!

7/10
Stu

Re: SUNNY --1977

Stu
I'm always a little influenced by the song as this will contribute greatly to my overall enjoyment and I do love this tune. The routines pretty good and the girls are all lovely and smiley. It does get off on the wrong foot however with DLT behaving (as usual) like a man that has a warm banana for a brain, but I'll never mark the girls down for such things as oddball dj's with mushy fruit between their ears.

8/10

Stuey

Re: SUNNY --1977

Old Bill
Wise words about DLT Stuey!

The scenery although a bit intrusive and a tad annoying didn't really ruin this one for me. I'm still not sure what inspired the scenery, but I suppose it's better than dancing round a huge plywood sun though.

If anyone's good to dance to it's Boney M and a good dance is what we get. Some good high kicks and lots of smiles. The dresses are very very nice.

Lulu is always Sunny. 7/10.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: SUNNY --1977

Andeebee
8.5 for me cos it's my fav 'M' song

Re: SUNNY --1977

VintageVideos
Unfortunately some disappointing camera work here. It does get better in the second half though. Like the song (can't say that about many Boney M records...), and the routine is above average IMO, but I can't quite ignore the first half and so it's just it 8 /10.
And when the stewardess is near do not show any fear

Re: SUNNY --1977

Doc
A reasonable routine that just seems to lack anything to remember it by, other than the misguided use of scenery. An average 8.
Still living in 1979

Re: SUNNY --1977

Who's That Hurll

'Sunny' for me was a disappointment. I liken it to going to watch my local football team by trying to peer through the gaps in the fence. 'Moody Blue' came from a long way back to rightly pip this in the monthly vote.

6/10  DOTD Pauline.

Re: SUNNY --1977

Old Grey Whistler
Boney M provided some good music for the girls to dance to and this was no exception.  It is frustrating that at the beginning of the routine, our vision is obscured by part of the stage and I can't understand why that was allowed to happen.  However each of the girls get some good camera time, there is plenty of movement and it is a nice bouncy tune boosting the feel good factor. I also like their dresses. I will score this 8.5  out of 10, it could have been higher still with out the vision problems.

Re: SUNNY --1977

Suefan
The set doesn't help and the costumes aren't amongst my favourites either so a not that sunny 6.5.

Re: SUNNY --1977

Colm
The obscuring set is a slight deterrent, but you can't fault the upbeat mood the girls have; especially at the end when, as a group, they approach the camera so warmly - if you'll excuse the pun!

Score: 8
12