SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Doc
I've sorted the 20/11/69 show correctly. Looking at the BBC Genome site it looks like there were 4 editions, TV Brain says that 3 are missing.
I'm not sure where information for the last two came from as I've never seen them, The Clapping Song could be confused with the German Eurovision one.

Does anyone know anymore about
Alan Price and Georgie Fame - The Clapping Song
Alan Price and Georgie Fame - Ready Willing and Able

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Mikey wrote
Possibly Lulu's wish to work with mixed dancers led them to hiring them for potentially a one off (which then led to further work of course). Lulu, Peter Sarstedt special and London Aktuel are the only ones known i think, or have i missed anything?
Male dancers also appeared on the Bobbie Gentry shows.

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
This post was updated on .
In the Colby/Ramble article in June '69 (authored by Jack Bell), the text says 'Two male dancers, Adrian Le Peltier and Gary Downie join them for the Bobby Gentry shows and Top of the Pops'.

So in order it's

28/12/1968 - 1/2/1969 Happening for Lulu - Youtube vids show two dancers looking like Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie on two episodes

24/5/1969 Jean Ferrat special with Peter Sarstedt - Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie

24/5/1969 Adrian Le Peltier and Gary Downie appeared in a PP feature in 'Petticoat Magazine' for young women.

<23/6/1969 Bobbie Gentry show  - claimed in Ramble article as Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie, and 'just filmed'

23/6/1969 Colby/Ramble article giving a timeline

8/11/1969 - London aktuell (from OFTD pics) - Adrian Le Peltier/John Melanie

Never seen anyone looking like either Le Peltier/Downie on Top of the Pop pics.

So looks like at least two male dancers were under contract for an extended period with the group, not just the female dancers.

The Petticoat Magazine stuff is here, some nice pics.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

VintageVideos
Willoway wrote
8/11/1969 - London aktuell (from OFTD pics) - Adrian Le Peltier/John Melanie
Adrian Le Peltier and John Melanie appeared on London Aktuell 08/11/1970, not 1969.

I could add to this list
09/11/1969 - London aktuell - Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie

From what I've read, John Melanie also worked on some of the (later) Bobbie Gentry shows.

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

A while ago Panslegs made a comment about there being 2 different shows, here.

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Diary-tp4125198p4127349.html

and

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/The-Pan-s-People-Diary-tp4125198p4127379.html

Looking at the clip again thought it seems like only one complete show was shown (April 2005). The missing clips are probably from a show not rebroadcast.

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Thanks for the detailed list, i didn't know about the Bobbie Gentries although i assume the 1969 series hasn't survived*. Have you seen any of the London Aktuells Willoway?.

Looking at the genome the Lulu show was only called 'Happening for Lulu' for the first 2 shows and thereafter just 'Lulu'.

Off topic but this is a random one http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/schedules/bbcone/london/1970-11-18#at-22.50

* There is an audio recording here which lists a Pans People performance for John Cameron - Wenceslas Square (also mentioned in the audio)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQZ06a18D8U

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
Mikey wrote
Thanks for the detailed list, i didn't know about the Bobbie Gentries although i assume the 1969 series hasn't survived*. Have you seen any of the London Aktuells Willoway?.

Looking at the genome the Lulu show was only called 'Happening for Lulu' for the first 2 shows and thereafter just 'Lulu'.
My only  basis for including the 1969  Bobbie Gentry  was the Colby Ramble interview (under Flick in the pictures section), not aware of any pictures.

All I've seen of London Aktuell are the images VVs posted in the daily PP thread.

Regarding Happening for Lulu, didn't realise it was only two shows, so the Jan 4th Jimi Hendrix performance running off the end of the show was the end under that name.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

VintageVideos wrote
Willoway wrote
8/11/1969 - London aktuell (from OFTD pics) - Adrian Le Peltier/John Melanie
Adrian Le Peltier and John Melanie appeared on London Aktuell 08/11/1970, not 1969.

I could add to this list
09/11/1969 - London aktuell - Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie

From what I've read, John Melanie also worked on some of the (later) Bobbie Gentry shows.
This clip is a bit messy, but there appears to be 3 guys, possibly Gary at the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1wqlCTZKE

A few years ago, Beautiful Babs highlighted a date for one of the 1971 shows, inc this 'Montego Bay' and one other

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Bobbie-Gentry-tp4021218p4021243.html

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
Mikey wrote
This clip is a bit messy, but there appears to be 3 guys, possibly Gary at the front.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ng1wqlCTZKE

A few years ago, Beautiful Babs highlighted a date for one of the 1971 shows, inc this 'Montego Bay' and one other

http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/Bobbie-Gentry-tp4021218p4021243.html
FWIW I agree with your summary of three males, with the front one looking like Gary.
As the '71 Bobbie Gentry show was screened in early '71, guess that's the latest known male appearance ( I take it 'the book' sheds no light on when the men appeared).

At the end of your clip, Bobbie introduces visually  Sue and Sunny, who were also mentioned in the Lulu introduction, so PP + men + S+S were clearly reused between shows.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Mikey
Not sure the blokes get a mention in the book.

Using that Getty videos site it looks like the surviving 1971 Bobbie Gentry shows are 1st Feb and 8th Mar

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/videos/bobbie-gentry?excludenudity=true&offlinecontent=exclusive&page=1&phrase=%22bobbie%20gentry%22&sort=newest

The other Price of Fame 27/11/69 is also listed there

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/alternative-title-fame-at-any-price-featuring-the-news-footage/BBC_LLV9036R

That site has some interesting stuff listed (way too much for me to list), for example I found this reference to the 21-10-71 TOTP show, which seems to exist in full, unless i'm reading it wrongly.

http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/video/jimmy-savile-presents-the-latest-top-40-hits-taking-part-news-footage/BBC_LLV9240W

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Reworked and corrected the list so it has hopefully a reasonably complete list of PP male performances from 'Bobbie Gentry' in 1968 to 'Gentry' in 1971. My guess is Bobbie Gentry herself requested male dancers as it gave her more options for interaction, and they were used on other programmes on an ad hoc basis. With the heavy female bias, you could almost view it as a proto-Flipper.

Top of the Pops
Journalist states in article dated 23/6/1969 “Two male dancers, Adrian Le Peltier and Gary Downie join them for the Bobbie Gentry shows and Top of the Pops”
However no pictorial evidence of male dancers on Top of the Pops, however plenty of the female dancers on their own.
Male dancers - possible but not conclusive

13/7/1968-17/8/1968 Bobbie Gentry
Picture from 10/8/1968 - shows Adrian Le Peltier and an unknown dancer
Male dancers - yes, on at least one occasion

Sept/Oct 1968  Herman van Veen show
Available pictures only show female dancers
Male dancers - probably not

12/10/1968  Beat Club Special
Videos show only three female dancers
Male dancers - probably not

Late 1968  Go Go Gig
No available pictures
Male dancers - unknown

28/12/1968-4/1/1969 Happening for Lulu
No evidence available
Male dancers - Unknown

11/1/1969-22/3/1969 Lulu
Two dancers looking like Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie on programme intro, 18/1/1969 and Funky Street 1/2/1969
Male dancers - yes

Early 1969 Vibrato
No pictures available to draw any conclusion
Male dancers - unknown

24/5/1969 Jean Ferrat special with Peter Sarstedt
Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie clearly identifiable
Male dancers - yes

24/5/1969 PP feature in 'Petticoat Magazine'
Adrian Le Peltier and Gary Downie appear
Male dancers - yes

18/6/1969-27/8/1969 Bobbie Gentry show
Colby/Ramble article (referenced in TOTP link above) mentions Le Peltier/Downie appear, giving a timeline for filming prior to 23/6/1969
No pictures available to support this.
Male dancers - possible but not conclusive

11/11/1969-25/12/1969 The Price of Fame
No pictures show male dancers
Male dancers - probably not

3/5/1969-24/5/1969 Des O’Connor on stage
No pictures (only reference to Des O'Connor is from the '69 promo brochure)
Male dancers - unknown

9/8/1969-13/9/1969 Frankie Howerd show
Many pictures, none showing male dancers
Male dancers - almost certainly not

9/11/1969 - London Aktuell
Adrian Le Peltier/Gary Downie clearly identifiable
Male dancers - yes

17/6/1970 The Price of Fame
No pictures
Male dancers - unknown

8/11/1970 - London Aktuell
Adrian Le Peltier/John Melanie named
Male dancers - yes

1/2/1971-15/3/1971 Gentry
Three males, with one possibly Gary Downie, others unidentifiable, 1/2/1971, described as 'Pan's People and friends'
Male dancers - yes

...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Mikey
Turns out the book does mention Gary and Adrian (page 65) when talking about the 1968 Bobbie Gentry Show. There is a screenshot of 'Barefootin Medley' which shows 2 other dancers in green and white, could it be them?

Others from 'Lulu'

Mercy http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=507.
Shes Not There (partial clip) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_coxQvjWhM. Not sure which version this is, doesnt sound like the original

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Thnks Mikey, so that pushes back the earliest male accompaniment from 'Lulu' in January 1969 to 'Bobbie Gentry', screened July/August '68, assuming the 68 and 69 series aren't being mixed up.

There's a grab of Barefootin Medley on p1 of this thread (thanks Doc), the guy on the right could well be Adrian Le Peltier, I would say the guy on the left is too lightly built to be Gary Downie (and the hair is not his style).

Also notable on the Mercy clip, Lulu introduces the 6+2 as "Pan's People", without any sort of qualification such as "and friends"
...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Suefan
If of any use here is a closer view of the two fellows in the Gentry/Pans Barefooting offering.
I have this dated as 10 August 1968.

The guy on the right is Adrian Le Peltier, not sure who the other one is.

Thanks Suefan for clearing several questions up, and nice picture.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Mikey
Thanks for the picture Suefan, i'm none the wiser on the other bloke. Anything on the credits?

According to the Getty site the 3 shows listed are 27/07/68, 03/08/68 and 10/08/68, all about 30 minutes long, so is there potentially more PP.

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

Willoway
This post was updated on .
Found an entertaining 1970 Lulu video (not sure if it's from 'It's Lulu) - there are eight male dancers, one looks like Adrian Le Peltier, and one of the others looks rather like the mystery guy, but not sure. So guess there was potentially a larger pool of male dancers - by this time she was using the Dougie Squires dancers (not to be confused with Young Generation).

...is she really going out with him?

When I have a bit more time I'll try to remember to have a look.  Somewhere I had a note as to the personnel involved but it might take some digging out.  As for 27 July that was "Sunday Best" but I don't know as to 3 August.

Re: SURVIVING APPEARANCES AWAY FROM TOTP

I didn't spot that Lulu video you posted earlier, that is a bit of a creepy one and the basic colour doesn't help it, but i would agree Adrian is one of the dancers, not sure about the other one until we get an ID.

Unrelated but i looked through those Lulu videos and one of the dancers in a few of them circa 1978 looks like Floyd, i think the show was a Les Dawson series (possibly Dougie Squires dancers which i think were also used for the Generation game?).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOc8gdUWmcM