SWING YOUR DADDY -- 10/04/1975

Swing Your Daddy
Performed by Jim Gilstrap and reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 10/04/1975 Duration of dance - 2.44 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edqCSRzL0WI

and now also at:

http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=106

Pan's People have something nice to do right now, a little hip-shakin', a little movin' and a-groovin', gonna make your liver quiver and your back crack, to number seven, Jim Gilstrap, Swing Your Daddy!

This week's entry in the Pan's People comments thread almost didn't happen. No not because I wasn't motivated or feeling uneasy. But once I started playing this clip, I just couldn't stop to hit the repeat button! About five years ago, this was one of the first Pan's People routines I ever saw and it lit a fire that never went out since. For years, if asked for my favourite Pan's People performance, I would answer without hesitation, "Swing Your Daddy". Now that I've seen quite a few more routines since then, I'm not so sure about my favourite any more, but SYD can still send shivers down my spine.

American Jim Gilstrap enjoyed his first glimpse of fame when he sang the opening two lines of the Stevie Wonder song, "You Are the Sunshine of My Life". Being essentially a one-hit wonder, he is best known for his work as a session musician. Fellow American Michael Joseph Pasternak aka Emperor Rosko introduced the record (and Pan's People) in a very memorable way, to say the least. Rosko hosted TOTP only three times, with 10/04/75 being his final (and sole surviving) appearance. Over the years, his intro has become an integral part of the routine – I couldn't think of one without the other.

Well, what can I say about this dance except that it is just gorgeous. Granted, I could have done without Lou Rawls, but to be honest, that has never bothered me much. In a performance like this, I don't waste my time and energy looking at the scenery. I find this routine so comfortably sensual that I just can't take my eyes off the girls. The way they move and almost glide across the floor must have driven every straight male viewer crazy (if not dizzy!).

I could go on and on raving about this routine, but I am not so sure if this performance will be similarly well received by the rest of you guys. Whatever, it is definitely a worthy kick-off for the December special!

10 / 10

DotD: Ruth

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

PattiforPM
"Oh, Feel So Good"   This is perfect and the ladies look absolutely ravishing.  It's the only tilting camera routine I think really works and the dancing is so smooth and rhythmic I just have nothing else to say but 10/10  and Cherry.  Absolutely love it and if all December is this good on the PP Thread I'll run out of superlatives pretty fast

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

The lavatory paper was later recycled for Legs & Co's I Wanna Get Next To You performance...no surely not, anyways enough about that, what about these dancers?.
They're all looking like ther surroundings, but I'm assuming the material of their costumes is a bit nicer texture, & easier on one's skin.
The only swinging that I can ascertain is the arm movements, as the ladies dance about the stage, seemingly care free, a dance routine, obviously enjoyed as much by them, as us.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Flick's new shredding machine was put to good use in April '75 and here it has been at work on both costumes and scenery to great effect.  The look works a treat, the ladies are gorgeous, and the dance glides across the floor with synchronicity and ease:  9.5 and Cherry.

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
I always had a soft spot for Rosko as the resident babbling Yank deejay voice on seventies Radio 1.
It's a great record, but the tempo is fairly pedestrian, so it's no surprise if the dancing is equally laid back. Not that I'm complaining: Nothing wrong with the smooth and relaxing vibe.
I think the rip-it-up motif works better in the set than in the outfits, but the swinging' camera angles managed to make it all mesh together nicely.
Is there something unusual about sue's make-up? I can't put my finger on it, but something about her eyes seems different.

A good, if not exceptionally good routine: 6/10

DotD: Ruth: she seems to be enjoying herself the most.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Yep Emp Rosko was a fine Disc Jockey and i first came across him on Radio Luxembourg in the 70s. Judging by this TOTPs he would also have made a great host, but sadly his talents were not used. As for the performance, well its a bit hit and miss for me. The song is standard Chicken in the basket, with Pans putting on a decent show. I really love the Ruth thing were she beckons her mates. Don't know what came first, the scenery to match the dresses or the other way round, but i dislike both. Ive mentioned before how i think those dresses somehow make the dancers appear a bit chubby. Still thats my only quibble as i find the dance quite entertaining.

DOTD--I will select Ruth

Rating--I'm at `9 out of 10`

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

A lovely happy sound to dance to,and they are all looking so fine.There is lovely dancing going on but the camera-work just makes me feel see-sick.I think the producers were trying to make it feel as if you were swinging from side to side.8/10
Dotd:Ruth

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

The BBC staff were up in arms that week as the weeks supply of Loo Roll had gone missing, to find it's way on the TOTP Pans set.

I really top number, with a nice swinging beat by Gilstrap, not overtly fond of the dresses or scenery, but it is a basically up the floor down the floor a few twirls run of the norm Pans kinda routine.

Nonetheless very enjoyable and gives a nice warm feeling in my stomach.

Scores: 9/10

DOTD: I'd swing my daddy with Ruth

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

PattiforPM
For you ADB so you can still watch PP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eptR__rJXJ4

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Andeebee
LOL - very funny P4PM, I'd use a cork (cheaper)

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
The self-aggrandizing host sure stamped his brand on the land of ER!

It's an easy sound which like many makes more sense with the girls, but I'm not keen on the dresses, which look as if the girls have hastily torn some strips down to cover their modesty. And that's of little consequence compared to the tilting; I'm not at all comfortable traversing a choppy sea and it wrecks it for me. The dancing is pretty good. Classic Pan's formation work kicked-off by the classic intro, with warming smiles and notably the bestest friends bopping in a line parts to enjoy: while there's equilibrium. And who wouldn't like Ruth's 'Come On!'? But nothing will swing me from a landlubber's 4/10.  DOTD the delectable Cherry

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Old Grey Whistler
Despite being a little daunted by PBP's image of recycled lavatory paper, I found this to be quite an enjoyable performance to a nice song. There are some good moves and we get a decent view of all the dancers. However I agree with GD that the tilting camera spoils the viewing a little, and is so unnecessary.  As a result what could of been a really high score is decreased a little, to a still very good 8.5 out of 10.
Sue catches my eye and gets DOTD.

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks everyone for your comments so far. It's only Tuesday evening and the routine has already reached the magical 10 ratings to make it eligible for inclusion on the ratings table. That is a fantastic result, so thanks again!

Now, I'm sure there are a few more members who'd like to comment on this fine piece of art.

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze wrote
And that's of little consequence compared to the tilting; I'm not at all comfortable traversing a choppy sea and it wrecks it for me.
GD, spare a thought for the Cameraman swinging helplessly from the gantry!

Seriously though it's notable that these camera effects can heavily influence the audience's enjoyment of these performnaces and if I was a Dancer I might sometimes find this a little galling after a hard week's work but I guess that's Art for you!

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

PaulF
As a young teenager I watched PP and admired Ruth as my favourite but this was the routine when I really noticed Sue for the first time. During the opening sequences when each dancer approaches the camera my heart was still fluttering after the close up of Ruth when Sue appeared and my heart and breathing stopped for about 10 seconds. I have never been the same since and despite the camera tricks and hanging loo paper it still remains my favourite and still watch it regularly. 10/10

DOTD Still trying to catch my breath SUE.
Paul

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Mikey
Wonderful routine slightly marred by that dreaded tilting camera.

Captain, i think the ship is sinking, should we inform the dancers...

Only kidding, i do think this is pure Pans People, Flick gives us tightly knit synchronous choreograpy, sexy moves, no obvious mistakes, gorgeous outfits, nice soul song, simple set, job done.

9/10
DOTD Ruth

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

Andy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

PansLegs
[compact critique] Never been one of my favourites... not mad on the costumes, don't like the track much, the routine itself seems fairly basic although the strange camera moves make it difficult to assess. I don't mind the going in for a close-up but the constant rotating gets a bit much. 5/10 DotD Cherry

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

VintageVideos
Thanks guys for all your comments so far. I think we might have another "marmite" routine here!

I'd also like to welcome Andy to the Pan's People comments section. Great you have found the way here, like on the other sections you can comment on any of the featured routines, not just the recently posted ones.

Re: SWING YOUR DADDY -- 1975

PattiforPM
Must say I'm a bit surprised about this one, which I thought was a shoo-in for a really high score, but I can't quarrel with some of the well reasoned arguments on the under-side of the marmite