Sending videos? try Dropbox

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Thanks to lots of you sending me clips, the blog has been thriving recently: I've managed to post something just about every day for the last couple of months. But I know a lot of you have been having problems using the "Got A Clip to Share" feature on the blog. Sometimes it doesn't work, and even if it does, since your video files are quite big (100 MB to 200 MB, or even more), it can take literally hours to send on a home broadband connection (where upload speeds are usually a fraction of download speeds).

I've been using a file synching program, Dropbox, to send and receive large files to and from friends and business clients. You install the software on your computer, and then put files you want to share into its folder. Dropbox then works away in the backgrpound, whenever you're connected to the internet, and bit by bit uploads your files. It's very well behaved, and doesn't hog your connection. Once you've got your file uploaded, you can send a link to download the file to anyone, or you can share it with another dropbox user. There's a web interface for access to your files from any computer. You can also use it as a backup for important files, or an easy way of getting stuff from one computer to another.

It will still take a lot of time to upload each file: but this way you can do it in bits, over a couple of internet sessions. So hopefully there will be a lot less frustration.

Dropbox is free, and you get 2 gigabytes of space for files (you can pay for more).

Dropbox is available for Mac, Window, Linux, iPad and even smartphones (Android, blackberry & iPhone).

If you want to try it use this link: http://db.tt/DyjoFAU and I'll get a bit of extra space for referring you.

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Sending videos? try Dropbox

PattiforPM
Just want to endorse this Dropbox as I've used it for ages (ever since YMG mentioned it to me when I first sent in a clip last year) and it has always worked well for me.