Quantcast

Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Old Grey Whistler
There has been some discussion over on another thread about whether Sue's Zoo solo to I'll Find My Way Home should be included in the Legs & Co comments thread. Ryan has said that it won't be, which is I think the right decision as it would be a little strange if one of the top rated 'Legs' dances was technically a Zoo dance.
What I think would be a good idea is to have an 'other dances' comments thread to commence some time after the end of the Legs & Co thread.  Apart from Sue's Zoo solo we would be able to rate her dance to Passion In Moisture. It would also be a chance to rate Use It Up And Wear It out. Then there are appearances on Jim'll Fix it, The Gen Game, Basil Brush, The Music Awards, The Stud, The Christmas VT videos,  TV-AM, Ant & Dec and maybe even the caberet shows. I think it would be a good way of keeping things going for a while on this site as well. Just wondered what you guys think?

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

This could be something we could put on the agenda at the AGM four weeks today.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Excellent idea OGW which as you say would extend Legs & Co comments beyond these last dwindling weeks of 81. I'm certainly behind it.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Maybe OGW could be the host to such a section. I back him to do it.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

A very good idea, OGW, and one which I'd suggest should be put on the back burner until just after the concluding TOTP dance routines from Legs & Co's tenure have been offered up for comments when the clocks go back.
Please keep free of colds for the next month!

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

PattiForPM
This is a great idea.  I'm totally in favour.  OFTDs looking more and more future-viable thanks to such inventiveness

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Mikey
Jack Jones? or are we just talking about Legs & Co.

Do I get to lambast John Denver at long last?

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Mikey
I wouldn't go that far

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for your enthusiastic responses.  I think it is certainly something that we can discuss in Derby.  My thought is to have a bit of a gap between the end of the Legs & Co comments thread and the new comments thread so that would probably tie in quite nicely.
Regarding hosting , I wouldn't mind having a go but I do have a thought that it could be possible to share the hosting duties between more than one person if others were interested, so that is something else we could discuss.
Regarding Jack Jones and John Denver, if Vin has no intention of including them in the Pans comments thread and has no objections to them being featured in this thread then that should be okay. The performances that I listed were just the ones that I could think of off the top of my head so there may be others that could be used as well.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

VintageVideos
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Regarding Jack Jones and John Denver, if Vin has no intention of including them in the Pans comments thread and has no objections to them being featured in this thread then that should be okay.
I do not intend to include them in the PPCT. This new thread sounds like they belong there!
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Its certainly something worth discussing at Derby but in my opinion this 'bargain basement' feel I'm getting as regards a potential new comments thread is not the place for IFMWH.
For Sue's spot of orienteering back to base much better would be a separate thread, one which I'd be very pleased to create at the appropriate time.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Old Grey Whistler
That's fine. Thanks for your response and as you say it can be discussed in a few weeks time.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

   If a new comments thread is created for other dance comments, or has SF calls it `'bargain basement' stuff, at least IFMWH will find a new home in a pinned sub-forum rather like the ones we now have for Pans, RF & Legs.
   There is one problem with creating a separate comments post for IFMWH SF and thats that it won't find itself pinned forever and will quickly drop down the forum into obscurity. One solution to that would be to move the comments post into the new proposed sub-forum when we are done with it.
    But i really want someone to take on the mantle of sole host to such a section otherwise the thing will get a bit messy. OGW is my preferred candidate and this will be very much on the table for discussion soon.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

BeautifulBabs
I'll count myself out of host on reliability issues Ryan

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Old Grey Whistler
This was something that we discussed in Derby and we will be proceeding with it. It will begin shortly after the Legs & Co comments thread has ended, which sadly isn't far away now. Suefan has kindly agreed to host the first routine which will be Sue's solo to I'll Find My Way Home. After that I will take over the hosting duties and John Denver will take over the turkey list!

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Doc
It'll give me a reason to watch them again. I don't watch the away from TOTP stuff all that much.
Now if BBC 4 were to reshow The John Denver Show I think they would look a lot better. The ropey quality of most of the ones available doesn't help you like them.

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

VintageVideos
Doc wrote
I don't watch the away from TOTP stuff all that much.
Me neither, with just a couple of exceptions - the clips from "London Aktuell" & "Nationwide". But the former aren't available publicly and the latter were featured on the PPCS. I've often asked myself if I should include performances in the PPCS that aren't publicly available but that a lot of members have seen anyway (I guess the number of such performances rose slightly last weekend). But then I'm not really sure if members can comment on a routine that they've seen just once (or twice at best). Probably not.

Looking forward to run him down!
Alles hat ein Ende - nur die Wurst hat zwei

Re: Should we have an 'Other Dances' Comments Thread?

Its difficult enough to get folk to comment and rate on routines that are publicly available, so best not go down the memory route. I am though pleased that OGW agreed to take the role of host on the new proposed section, after our convivial and cordial discussion.