Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

The Rubberband Man
Kaleidoscope's next event in Birmingham celebrates the life of Larry Grayson and blends a few Christmas favourites to make a festive feast to finish 2017.

Highlights of the day include the pilot episode of Larry Grayson's Generation Game, Sooty's Christmas Pantomime, a tribute to Bruce Forsyth, and an episode of Crackerjack. And if that's not enough, also included is a free buffet lunch.

Tickets available from https://t.co/37yaKa753v

Anybody interested ?

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

A free buffet lunch on Kaleidoscope, who'd have thought it ! Yes i will be there as usual and have just booked my free ticket via the link you have provided RBM.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Gorgeous Daze
Thanks for the link RBM. As said yesterday great to have the return of Tony Currie as host.

A pity the Crackerjack edition isn't from a year or two earlier as I imagine that Christmas 82 was past the era when Julie Brown and Sally Ann Triplett of Bardo were appearing.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Everything'sRosie
This sounds good. A free lunch. Stu Francis AND Larry Grayson.

I'm coming.

Ramp up the camp!

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

I take it us usual four Kal attendees have received the email from Kaleidoscope informing that the event in December is being moved to the Parkside building next door. Well for those on-foot, its a little less to walk from the city and we are now closer to the two pubs we visit.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

BeautifulBabs
i didn't ever like Larry Grayson so this could be too much for me

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Well for those on-foot, its a little less to walk from the city and we are now closer to the two pubs we visit.
...and the Manzil

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

BeautifulBabs wrote
i didn't ever like Larry Grayson so this could be too much for me
Ooh, I was saying the same thing to Everard just yesterday.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

AC/PD
Trusting those from here who are there are having a gay day and finding some time to break away from the inevitable conversations to catch some of the material on show.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Gorgeous Daze
Having a jolly time and indeed hitting the right balance, thanks for the good wishes AC/PD

A little treat in the final show of the event in the shape of a lost Julie Brown routine.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Yes Julie Brown on Xmas Crackerjack (CRACKER JACK) was a real bonus. Damn that girl ticked every box as far as im concerned. Smashing dancer, great look and a smile to die for. I could crush a grape !

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Memo to OFTDs Kal attendees traveling to future events in December. Remember next time we must have the foresight to book a table in the curry house and not just think we can walk into one a get a table. Walking round Brum in the drizzle wasn't much fun, and my idea of catching the earlier train back wasn't a barrel of laughs either, being herded into the carriage like sheep. Darn those Xmas shoppers .

Still it was nice to catch up again with GD, ER & TRBM and i think a February meet is very much on the cards.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Memo to OFTDs Kal attendees traveling to future events in December. Remember next time we must have the foresight to book a table in the curry house and not just think we can walk into one a get a table.
Yes Ryan, the quest for curry ended in the heavy if objectively amusing compromise of a MacDonald's Spicy Beanburger. A case of no room at the inn owing to the time of year I think, but wouldn't do any harm to book next time anyhow after we were forewarned in Stourbridge last month when our first choice restaurant was also full.

Ironic to be denied a curry on the very day the jovial Mr Currie returned as host after two-and-a-half years break. Great to seem him on as good form as ever. The programme of screenings was very enjoyable, as was the free pizza which was available in abundance. The local trinity of pubs were all visited and the time flew by as is customary now. All in all a damn good day that no rainy end could dampen.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Everything'sRosie
Haha. Indeed, a McDonalds chicken sandwich was no substitute for a lamb dupiaza, though we had the opportunity to stuff ourselves with pizza earlier on.

But the warning was there. The event was compared by ToNAY Currie. We must be more vigilant to these cryptic messages.

A good day all the same.

Memo to GD. You got off that train just in time. As it chuffed into Hartlebury one of our fellow travellers was, er, rather ill. Oh for the delights of the party season! I had the luxury of moving to another carriage, but my heart went out to the cleaning crew for the horrible surprise awaiting them this morning.

Oh dear. If it isn't fighting on the boozed-up Saturday night express then it's something else. Actually the last time I was in peaceful Hartlebury it was at the pub that the station's former waiting room was converted into. Disappointingly for that kind of place the bar area was surrounded by sweary locals.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Gorgeous Daze
Looking around Youtube there's a few complete editions of Crackerjack featuring Julie Brown. I haven't found any yet where her dancing services were required, but as to my surprise she was still there in late 83 it's probable there were more routines beyond Let's Dance.

Also, from 84, there's an edition with TOTP cheerleader Ling Tai this time doing the honours as one half of the pair of Stu Francis's assistants.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

The Rubberband Man
I thought Kaleidoscope put on an excellent event yesterday – probably one of the best I’ve been to.

The Lion and The Thistle compilation was fantastic – lots of shows I’d forgotten about, and the 1961 Sooty's Christmas Pantomime with Harry Corbett, (“Aww Sooty.... not the water.”) was great fun. Highlights were the Larry Grayson’s Generation Game pilot episode that had never been aired, and Julie Brown (seems like a nice girl).

Thanks as well to Kal for the pizzas

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

Everything'sRosie
The Rubberband Man wrote
The Lion and The Thistle compilation was fantastic – lots of shows I’d forgotten about
Do you remember Stookie, RBM? I hadn't heard of it before. Network Video have released a few of these teenage dramas but, unfortunately, not this one. I'm not sure if Stookie was shown across the regions. Looks worth a watch. Tony Currie clearly thought it worthy of inclusion in the compilation, so it must have been popular at the time. There's a short clip on YT. Set in Glasgow by the looks of it as the eponymous hero is wearing a Celtic shirt.

Re: Shut that Door by Kaleidoscope Events - 2nd December 2017

The Rubberband Man
Everything'sRosie wrote
Do you remember Stookie, RBM? I hadn't heard of it before. Network Video have released a few of these teenage dramas but, unfortunately, not this one. I'm not sure if Stookie was shown across the regions. Looks worth a watch. Tony Currie clearly thought it worthy of inclusion in the compilation, so it must have been popular at the time. There's a short clip on YT. Set in Glasgow by the looks of it as the eponymous hero is wearing a Celtic shirt.
I can't imagine why anybody from Glasgow would consider wearing any other football shirt
Stookie was broadcast in 1985, and sadly, by that time, I was no longer tuning in to children's tv. In my younger days however, Glen Michael's Cartoon Cavalcade, broadcast on Sunday afternoons was unmissable. It was lovely that the clips chosen captured the programme's apotheosis moments, including Paladain the talking lamp and the birthday cards that viewers made and set in.