Sky arts TV

mojo2007
Tonight has a repeat of an interesting item in their trailblazers series, called Dance. Arlene P gets a lot of screen time as does Toni Basil.
mojo

Re: Sky arts TV

PattiForPM
Any Flick Mojo?

Re: Sky arts TV

mojo2007
Nothing. I am going to complain.

Re: Sky arts TV

mojo2007
I don't want to start a new thread just for one item so I am using this..  On Friday talkingpicturestv is broadcasting, Gonks go beat . Wiki says that Babs Lord is in the cast . Famously bad film but if Babs is in it, it must we worth watching.

Re: Sky arts TV

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
Yes she's definitely in Gonks Go Beat, as a member of the beat girls.

Fanously bad maybe, but also undescribely awesome in its badness.

Since I don't have a routine to post on the blog todya, I'll look out the Beta Girls performance frpm the film and post theat.

Thanks for pointing out the Sky Arts showing

YMG
You've all done vey well!

Re: Sky arts TV

Willoway
Thanks for that YMG, and I look forward to see the film on Friday, with quality expectations appropriately set.

I've updated the GGB wiki page to include all six dancers. Ann Chapman (with Babs) is easiest to identify with the blonde pigtails. Of main  interest to me is the ultra rare opportunity to see Carlotta Barrow and Jo Cook in live action, the two short-haired dark brunettes.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Sky arts TV

Yes it will be nice to have a decent copy of this, i dont think ive seen one before unless it was on the old blog. Its nothing special but a nice bit of 60s weirdness anyway.

Re: Sky arts TV

VintageVideos
The film is aired on both Friday & Saturday at 16.00:
"1965. Sci-Fi. Director: Robert Hartford-Davis. Stars Kenneth Connor, Frank Thornton, Lulu, The Nashville Teens & Members of The Graham Bond Organisation. Psychedelic re-imagining of Romeo & Juliet"

http://talkingpicturestv.co.uk/schedule/
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: Sky arts TV

Mikey
Interesting, i'd never even heard of this channel before, there are so many these days.

Re: Sky arts TV

CoffeeThing
Been watching things on it for about a year. It has some rubbish on but also a lot of real gems.

Re: Sky arts TV

Willoway
I would agree, looking at it, there's some interesting bits and pieces in the listings for this channel.

The BFI  has a full credits listing for the film, speckled with interesting names, one absent is Jack Bruce who appears in the Graham Bond Organisation. Also worth a lookout for 'committee man' Gary Cockrell, the choreographer for the Beat Girls, who appears in some of the Beat Girls photos in the OFTD picture thread.
Sometimes I wonder if there's anything in the 60s Lulu wasn't in.

Wilco Roger Kenneth Connor
Balladisle prime minister Terry Scott
Mr A. & R. Frank Thornton
Steve Iain Gregory
Helen Barbara Brown
Beatland professor Reginald Beckwith
committee man Gary Cockrell
Great Galaxian Jerry Desmonde
drum master Arthur Mullard
group The Graham Bond Organisation
singer Alan David
singers Elain and Derek
group Ray Lewis and the Trekkers
group The Long and the Short
group Lulu and the Luvvers
group The Nashville Teens
group The Trolls
group The Vacqueros
drummer Ginger Baker
drummer Bobby Graham
drummer Alan Grinley
drummer John Kearns
drummer Bobby Richards
drummer Ronnie Verrall
drummer Andy White
Balladisle tutor Pamela Donald
Beatland prime minister Gillian French
policewoman Gabriella Lewis
congress lLady Pamela Oswald
the beat girl Ann Chapman
the beat girl Sarah Martin
the beat girl Jo Cook
the beat girl Carlotta Barrow
the beat girl Babs Powell
the beat girl Caroline Symonds

My only gripe with the station is the picture quality with a low bitrate and a resolution of just 544 * 576.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: Sky arts TV

Willoway
Hmm, the b/w film on now looks no better than youtube on my sky HD digibox. While it's great this channel shows stuff probably not otherwise available on broadcast, it's a shame if it's not digital quality.

...is she really going out with him?

Re: Sky arts TV

mojo2007
The quality varies widely. a 1930 Hitchcock film, Murder! was on recently and the quality was acceptable.  Johnny Briggs lives nearby  and I have now seen him as a young actor in several films, quite different to his appearance today.

Re: Sky arts TV

mojo2007
An apology. The film was even worse than I feared.  I regret suggesting that anybody spends time with this turkey.  The girls were lovely  but ....................

Re: Sky arts TV

Willoway
As a piece of quality film making I'd give it 1/10 at best, however as a period-piece I quite enjoyed it, though fast forwarded from time to time. It's always nice seeing the 60s in colour, with a couple of authentic stars thrown in (helpfully they named-dropped occasionally).
Hoped the Beat Girls may have made further minor appearances beyond the dream sequence but it was not to be. Gary Cockrell did indeed make a brief appearance (the guy with the American accent) near the start.
...is she really going out with him?

Re: Sky arts TV

Mikey
YMG already put up a post for the Beat Girls bit a few days ago.

http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2473

Re: Sky arts TV

Legsfan
I was disappointed that I didn't have that channel, but thanks to YMG & mojo we can see it on the blog. A great addition to the OFTD's collection.