Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Doc
There is about 8 seconds of a 1971 Pan’s routine at the start of this clip filmed off the TV. Silent unfortunately.
https://youtu.be/RsdrHZ7opJQ
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Dancer
Lovely.  Thanks for sharing that out.  Need to look in our books now to work out what it could be they were dancing to.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

The video says 71 but Metal Guru was 1972.
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Doc
25/5/72 apparently, an unknown week.
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Doc
The David Cassidy song from that show would fit the actions quite well!
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Yes I have no cross in my book so if I would hazard a guess I will say Diana Ross Doobedoo doobedoo as a guess as they always tended to dance to Motown and the single had gone from 30 to 22 and looking at that snippet it reads like they are dancing to the words "heaven must have sent you to me" but that is only a guess.  Not much in the charts for them to dance to really as an alternative that week unless David Cassidy Could It be Forever was the one.  Everything else seems MOR i.e. New World, Procul Harum re-release.  I will opt for the former.  Lovely surprise though.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

 I wonder if this might not have been a routine to Metal Guru at all. The 25th May 1972, as mentioned in GJB’s post is a missing week, so could be from something else in the show. Or even a different week entirely. Without sound it may be difficult to work out what the dance was to. In the clip there is no Louise or Flick- who had stopped by May 72 anyway if that was the date-  which may point somewhere. And I wonder if anyone recognises the costumes, which we do not see much of.
One for the real experts and their thinking caps.

Edit;
 Written before seeing the above three posts and suggestions.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Dancer
It is difficult really.  They are beckoning so sweetly to the camera so my bet will be Diana Ross and they are dancing here to the words:-
"heaven must have sent you to me and I am not gonna let you go back
 I am gonna love you to the stars all shine and angels start dressing in black".

and then the song went all jazzy.

David Cassidy's track was very high up in the charts and had gone previously from 35, 34, 20, 11, 4, 3, 3 and then to this week's two which in my opinion would be dangerous as it really had peaked.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Mikey
Watching the clip in slo mo i see Babs>Dee Dee>Andrea>Babs (again)>Louise. There may be the briefest of Ruth before Andrea although im not entirely sure. Would like a second opinion on this.

Actually the last one may be Ruth.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

JEZ
According to popscene listings ,and they are not always correct ,3discs for that week , Saturday night at the movies ,which can be ruled out ,so could it be forever and little piece of leather ,I'm inclined to go for David Cassidy song ,as it was featured as disc on quite a few shows ,so I would definitely think pans would have covered it once ,and I'm pretty sure the did do doobedoondoobe one week .

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

JEZ
Talking of popscene errors , someone has posted the audio Xmas totp 1966,and 2 performances are not listed on part 2 1966 ,on popscene ,they are sunshine superman by Donovan ,and morningtown ride by the seekers ,it doesn't look as though The gojos danced to good vibrations either ,on that show , although The gojos are announced as dancing to the totp theme tune ,at the end of totp 1966 part 1
JEZ
GJB

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

GJB
It has been confirmed by Tony Viscounti and Martin Barden (T.Rex video expert) as being the 25/05/1972 Metal Guru:

This was recorded off the screen by Tony Visconti on his super8. Eagle eyed viewers will notice it's Tony on congas rather than Mickey Finn. Ed Stewart is also in shot which would suggest that this is 25 May '72 - which was previously thought to have been the date for the version which was retained by ZDF (MB in a blue Alkasura jacket with black roses motif).
So, added to KAL's find from last year we now have four Metal Guru performances from TOTP, more than any other T.Rex song.

GJB

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

GJB

Same set, Same edition. Getty annotation: The Move
British rock band The Move, featuring Roy Wood (far left) perform on the television music show 'Top of the Pops', 24th May 1972

25-5-72:   Presenter:  Ed Stewart   (Wiped)

(27) DONNIE ELBERT – A Little Piece Of Leather  (crowd dancing)  (and charts)
(6) HURRICANE SMITH – Oh Babe, What Would You Say?  ®
(22) DIANA ROSS – Doobedood’Ndoobe Doobedood’Ndoobe  (video)
(36) WINGS – Mary Had A Little Lamb
(5) ELTON JOHN – Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long Long Time)
(NEW) LONG JOHN BALDRY – Iko Iko
(26) CHICORY TIP – What’s Your Name  ®
(8) THE DRIFTERS – Saturday Night At The Movies  (crowd dancing)
(20) THE MOVE – California Man
(1) T-REX – Metal Guru
(2) DAVID CASSIDY – Could It Be Forever  (crowd dancing)  (and credits)

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Mikey
Heres a quick montage, i toned down the brightness to hopefully make it clearer. Perhaps the actions might hold a clue to what it is e.g Andrea hugging (second 5) and Babs sort of ruffles her hair (second 6). Intreguing clip anyway.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Mikey
Oh, Saturday night at the movies
Who cares what picture you see
When you're hugging with your baby
Last row in the balcony?

Well there is certainly some hugging in this clip

I'm just guessing if course

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Dancer
I think you are correct Mikey.  I have played the Diana Ross track today and it stated above that there was a video.  Good find though.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Listening to it on the radio today and it would work as well. Unless the show’s paperwork is found in the archive we’ll probably never know for certain.
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Mikey
Well heres Andrea doing the 'hugging' action.

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Doc
You could also say they are not letting go of someone!

Well I feel like you're mine and I can't remember
When the feelings have been stronger
And all I know is I can't let go of you

Saturday Night At The Movies is an up tempo track and they look like they are moving to a much slower song. In the few seconds that survives of the known version they are very bouncy and jolly at the end, I can't see Flick changing it that much if she had to do a second version.
Still living in 1979

Re: Snippet of a lost PP routine?

Dancer
If it is a slower song then I do think Diana Ross.  The second verse is: Let us put our memories of our past upon the shelf, and leave them forever and give ourselves a second chance to enjoy loves priceless ways.