So what about these double TOTPs.

As no one else on the internet seems to be talking about how our favourite retro television show has suddenly become a hot potato that BBC4 appear to be in a hurry to show, i thought it may be time for our guys on OFTDs to speculate as to whats going on.

What began back in 2011 as a neat idea to mirror the TOTPs from 35 years ago as now become a bit of a shambles with god knows what date we are at. This situation of course hasn't been helped by the fact that two of the TOTPs hosts are no longer acceptable to be viewed by the masses (dont wanna upset those Daily Mail readers) and the quaint idea of shadowing 35 years ago as long vanished. Add to that the Sky At Nights which complicate matters and were i believe not around before the Yewtree shows became unshowable.

So why are they showing double TOTPs on Thursdays and Fridays so early in 2016 and by all accounts to continue with it throughout the whole year ? I did buy into the fact that more shows are available this year to screen (helped by the fact there ain't no long Summer strike like last Summer) and it may have been feasible to screen some double shows early in the year to accommodate this. But the continuity announcer's, err announcement before the 08/01/16 re-run did send shivers up ones spine. Why ? Well if we do get double shows each week on BBC4 then we can kiss goodbye to Legs & Co in early June as opposed to October (yeah im old school who believes in continuity) like what we thought we were going to get.

So what do you lot think, whats BBC4s game here. Why on Earth would they plan to screen double shows throughout 2016. Are we going to be visiting the `Zoo` sooner than we thought we would. Any thoughts on this would be most welcome. What do i think. well i reckon BBC4 want an end to the re-runs and this double thing is a way of achieving that Asap. True that in The Story of 81, they did mention stuff from 82, but id be amazed if they carried on with it. I mean if they did we would be watching 82 this Summer (after we have watched the Xmas show from 81 in June !!).

Like i say its a total shambles and my only hope is the continuity guy before the 08/01/81 show was given duff info and a single show a week will begin to happen in February (he hopes).

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

GiLuRo
I read somewhere that the double TOTPs are just for January then normal service will be resumed as we will then be on target to show the remaining episodes on the correct dates. As you say Ryan the whole point of the re runs was to mirror the show from 35 years ago, if were watching shows 6 months out of synch it kind of spoils thing a bit for me.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Well i do hope it is for January only Giluro as that would make sense if they wanted to fit 1981 in snugly to there normal programming throughout the year. The caveat to that is the announcement by the chap before the first show who implied that these weekly double shows would be the norm for 2016. Lets just hope he got that wrong.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Suefan
The current scheduling does appear to be something of a shambles but I'm not yet convinced that the two shows a week are here for the long term.  While the end of '81 is of particular significance to us I've never seen a report that BBC4 has a planned cut off point for these repeats, so with the show having carried on for more than another two decades the end of the repeats would still be some time distant even if they showed them daily.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

well the continuity announcer did state that 2016 will be double bills, until the next load of listings come out we won't know for certain.

I thought as 37 shows this year compared to 34 for last two years would mean three weeks of doubles, but it seems not to be the case.  The original run for Pops on BBC4 was to end on 1982. So are BBC4 trying to end this quickly, we know DLT is totally free by the late half of 2016/1981 run, so that should enable his shows to be shown.  The BBC maybe trying to get this run over, so hopefully the DLT's will return for 82.

It could be the fact that BBC4 could be going the same way as BBC3.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

The Rubberband Man
Top Of The Pops is a very popular show on BBC Four. The 3/12/2015 show was in the Top 10 most watched on BBC Four that week. The Top Of The Pops Christmas 1978 was the second most watched show in that week, beaten to the No. 1 spot by From Andy Pandy To Zebedee.

The continuity announcer suggested the doubling of TOTPs to two shows per week was part of an overall increase in the amount of music related programs the channel intends to broadcast. So it does tend to suggest they intend to show both 1981 and 1982 this year.

Personally, I’d much rather have the 1981 shows spread out over the year instead of the doubling up, even if it means we have gap weeks. I honestly can't see the repeats ending, barring any revelations about any of the hosts, or until BBC Four is forced to shut down.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Andeebee wrote
The original run for Pops on BBC4 was to end on 1982. So are BBC4 trying to end this quickly, we know DLT is totally free by the late half of 2016/1981 run, so that should enable his shows to be shown.  The BBC maybe trying to get this run over, so hopefully the DLT's will return for 82.
Unfortunately Andeebee, the BBC has made it clear they do not intend to show any Top Of The Pops that are presented by DLT, ".... The spokesman added: “The BBC will not show Top of the Pops repeats fronted by Dave Lee Travis.”

Radio Times

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Andeebee
true but it's an opinion that's all

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

PattiForPM
After deportation I feel I am out of touch with the scheduling issue a bit.  My worry would be that this crowding of Shows and neglect of the time elements might reflect a further corporate devaluation of TOTP and a step or two nearer its demise but I have no evidence for this and it sounds as if there may be some indications to the contrary.  An early return to the weekly schedule would be very reassuring to me but I guess we have a bit longer to wait and see...

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Gorgeous Daze
I felt that the announcer implied that the double helping would continue throughout the year, to my surprise and consternation. The reason for it could be that BBC Four want to hurry the repeats through to their conclusion now. TOTP and the pop scene in general in 82 was a little more static than in the immediately preceding years and therefore there is less of a narrative. Perhaps this will mean there isn't considered enough of a story for a 'Story Of 1982' doc, and with pop and inevitably with it TOTP becoming less distinguished as the decade progressed 'The Story Of 81' may prove to be the last of these largely very good looks at the year ahead. It could well be that 82 will begin in the middle of this year and with TOTP decreasing in cultural value it may not be deemed BBC Four-worthy after that. Good riddance at that point, a few will say. The end of 84 would be just about a dignified enough cut-off point for us to remember it for the wonderful show that it was, as far as my tastes are concerned. As for our comments, I would continue at a rate of one a week whichever way BBC Four decide to progress.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

I'm not entirely convinced that the announcer meant that the double episodes would last the duration of the year, and I still think that they may only last 4 or 5 weeks.
However if they do last all year, I don't believe that it means that the repeats will come to an end.
 There are a couple of possible reasons for the double episodes
1. With the axe hovering over BBC Four, they may have decided to try and show as many episodes as possible while they can.
2. It may be cheaper for the cash strapped BBC to show repeats of TOTP than it is to make new programmes.

In my opinion, if they had wanted to end the repeats, they would have done so once we had reached the end of 1980.
It's not as though they are contractually obliged to show 1981. Also the DG Tony Hall has said that he wants to see more music programmes on the BBC so cancelling the repeats would go against that.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

zenon
If they are doing double episodes for good then this should have happened when the repeats started in 2011,  we would be in 1986 by now and we would have enjoyed the halcyon days of Legs with no interuptions through to Autumn 1979.

Really the reruns should have launched by 2004 then Savile and DLT would have finished as presenters before Yewtree spoiled the fun and we would be seeing less deceased artists which has also plagued the run.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

zenon wrote
Really the reruns should have launched by 2004 then Savile and DLT would have finished as presenters before Yewtree spoiled the fun and we would be seeing less deceased artists which has also plagued the run.
Yes but its all maybes, should haves and what ifs. As this forum, which mainly discusses the dancing element of TOTPs  began in 2010, the 2011 launch date of the re-runs was perfect for what we discuss on a weekly basis. Then came Yewtree to shove the proverbial spanner in the works.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

mojo2007
lets get used to the idea that these are idiots . they let the famous Pillow dance from In Concert be used by Channel 5 , as an example of BAD TELEVISION.

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
All of the opinions posted are interesting, but some are a little selfish.

GD I hear what you're saying, but I for one want the repeats to go on until about 1990, there was good music in the charts until then as far as a lot of people are concerned....you don't have to watch!

I do get that a lot of the guys on here are only fans of the dancers (it does what it says on the tin) but others of us are fans of the show in general.

As for the DLT shows, I can promise everyone they will NEVER be shown on the BBC again.

I also think that the Sky at Night has been interrupting shows since the very start ( I can remember getting vexed) before the Yewtree became an issue.

And I don't see whats wrong with showing deceased artists!
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Andeebee
Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
some are a little selfish.
We have and are entitled to our opinions, if it doesn't hold up to your views, so what

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I couldn't agree more.

My view is that its selfish to express the view that one hopes the shows will end when some people would like them to go on and on.
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Andeebee
Like I said before the original run was supposed to end on 1982, that was said back in 2011 when it was started, if 1982 is pushed this year as well, then at least the contract has been fulfilled, again depends on the future of BBC4, and yeah would be nice to get to at least end of 84.

You gotta ask yourself why are BBC4 doubling up on editions in 2016..........

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
I honestly think its something to do with Sorry

When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: So what about this double TOTPs nonsense.

Rosie'sNumberOneFan wrote
And I don't see whats wrong with showing deceased artists!
LOL, i dont even see whats wrong with showing the two presenters, the one who had a trial in a court of law and the one who didn't. But i understand this will never happen, but hey, thats my point of view !!!