Solo Musings

Suefan
Having scoured the lists I'm a little surprised that the only absolute solos I can find (that is just a dancer on her own without any shots of the singer/group) are

Patti's "The Wanderer"
Cherry coming over all "Misty Blue"
Pauline's two solos to "I Wanna Get Next To You" and "Come Back and Finish"
Sue's "Annie's Song (but only if you count the Xmas version)
and of course Sue's grand finale with "I''ll Find My Way Home".

Whilst be no means a missed opportunity would it not have been great to have had just a little more of this sort of thing in addition to the weekly group dance.

Probably not your cup of tea but here is another spot of solo dancing I like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAmgYQadWG0&feature=related

Of course if you imagine Sue (or Patti if your an honoury Canadian) rather than Cyd getting herself all hot and bothered on that mountaintop it looks even better.  I wonder if any of the Pans or Legs ladies were inspired/influenced by the likes of Cyd, Ginger, Fred or Gene.

Re: Solo Musings

bucksby
It is strange I was watching the Patti solo routine to the Wanderer last night as I finally got hold of thhe bbc4 copy of 3-6-76 and then a few hours later I found out it was Patti's greatest admirers' birthday. Must have been some sort of omen!  Do Zoo routines count? There was a lady (Maureen I think) dancing solo to Derek & the Domino's Layla on 18-3-82

Re: Solo Musings

Say When
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Mike

Re: Solo Musings

JEZ
although not pans or legs or ruby or zoo ,the very first solo i believe that was done on totp was in 1968 ,and a lady by the name of diane south who did a solo routine to the disc, judy in disguise by john fred and his playboy band

Re: Solo Musings

Yes, why did Pauline get the gig twice ? Rosie was never allowed to be nowhere near a solo, though she did take the lead in a few routines.

Re: Solo Musings

Hey Jez et al, I know there's been talk of Flick's solo to "Bridge over troubled Water" but are there any other Pans TOTP solos we know of?

BTW Great Cyd solo SueFan and yes I could definitely see our ladies tackling something like this.  They just needed a more powerful Wind Machine!  Cyd was for me the most mesmerizing dancer of her era too.

Re: Solo Musings

Suefan
Yes indeed and if anyone has that Zoo solo Bucksby mentions then I for one would love to see it.  My bad for forgetting FC's spot but the list is just a starting point to be added to as and when.  Wracking my brain though I'm pushed to recall any other solo from a member of Pans on TOTP other than a vague notion that Louise might have danced one in the early days.

As for Cyd, if your a fan this is also well worth a look.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iAWxCxTgoI&feature=related

Such a contrast to Sombrero and as close to perfection in dance as you are ever likely to see.  I'd have loved to see either Sue or Gill dancing to this number.

Re: Solo Musings

bucksby
I will send the Maureen routine to YMG if he hasn't already got it. Can't post it on youtube sadly as it will be blocked.

Re: Solo Musings

How were solos decided upon?Did Flick say you're doing this?Did the dancer have a say?Was it the song and a particular dancer just  looked right for it?Can't remember Rosie or Lulu having a solo dance.

Re: Solo Musings

Suefan
Agreed SuPaLu, nothing for either Lulu or Rosie given the rather stringent criteria I used.  But should one include appearances of the group/artist during the solo dance that widens the field to bring in Gill's "Gone Gone Gone", "When You Were Sweet Sixteen" and "Dancin Easy" as well as Cherry's "Shake It Down", Patti's "Aria" and of course Lulu to both "It Only Takes A Minute" and "Summer of My Life" but still no Rosie.

Perhaps Rosie was looking for Flick with that washing up bowl of cold water, not that I'd have messed with Ms FC.

Re: Solo Musings

JEZ
dont know much about the facts on this ,but when mike read did a random year totp show episode rundown  each week on the radio in the 90s ,on one edition he stated that ready steady go dancer sandy sarjeant did a solo in 1968 ,i cant remember what song he said and which edition now ,but it deffo was 1968
JEZ