Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
Some very forgettable stuff on here like Sheer Elegance, Linda Lewis (Is this the same Linda Lewis as in Linda and the Funky Boys 'Sold My Rock and Roll'?) Bay City Rollers, even Hot Chocolate's song was not one of their more memorable ones.

Why does Edmonds keep putting on that pseudo-posh voice when introducing acts. He excelled himself tonight in the corny jokes stakes with his bridge between Linda Lewis and The Bay City Rollers ('I wonder how she gets her hair like that- she must use Rollers).

Pans People turned out to be big highlights of a rather bland show. Loved the Paperback Writer routine. Must have taken some skills to dance running around with those open books. Cherry was looking particularly delightful. Mary seemed to have to work hard to appear a natural dancer in A kind of Hush, so I'm glad she didn't come into RF. Cherry, Sue, Patti and Lulu were the right ones!!

I switched off a bit when Abba came on- we've heard it so often. And 76 is a big Abba year.

That was a bit embarrassing when Eric Carmen was saying goodbye to Edmonds, shaking his hand and walking away when Frankie Valli was starting singing like he couldn't be bothered to stay. Mind you 'All by Myself' is a corker of a song.
 The better Four Seasons song of this year was the classic 'December 63 (Oh what a night)' but I think that was earlier in 76.
Frankie Valli has a good voice when he sings Fallen Angel.

Yes, there seemed to be a push to 'big up' Paul Nicholas in 1976.  Reggae Like it Used to Be only scraped into the top 20, but he got about 4 TOTP appearances out of it. I much prefer the May 13 version with a portion of Ruby Flipper.
But I noticed that Paul Nicholas does at least sing it live each time, so credit to him.

And finally, despite the fact we've heard it millions of times and it's very cheesy and corny, Brotherhood of Man did a good performance and singing it live  made a difference.  Yes, 1976- and the days when Eurovision meant something important.

Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Yes i found the programme rather bland, and quite uninspiring. You could see why the right on youth of 76 were craving for change after TOTPs like we had tonight, and Carl im not slagging of here, just stating the obvious. For example 6 weeks of Brotherhood of man at number one, mind numbing stuff. Hated the Linda Lewis song( Carl i think its a wig, but ive been wrong before on wigs) detested the Bay city rollers song. Its always interesting to have a song on TOTPs that ive never heard before, tonights effort was by Sheer Eligance `Life is too short girl`new un on me.
  Positives, well Paul Nicholas is always fun, prefered him Dancing with the captain though. 10cc as ever very listenable, Four Seasons `Silver Star` was good, even better when PP dance to it soon.
  But of course the stars of the show were Pans People. Maybe i slightly agree with your comments about Mary not being a natural dancer, but what a looker. I still would have like to have seen her in RF, but at the expense of who ? It would have been Lulu or Cherry, sorry Cherry it would have been you if i had my way.
  Just checked out next weeks line up and on paper it looks much more pleasing to the eye. The two PP dances are absolute crackers next time. All in all i prefered last weeks show, but i am looking forward to those Ruby Flipper nights.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Once again can i give another shout out to the BBC Iplayer. Ive been mega critical of our friends at the BEEB over the years but this thing is top notch. No messing about, dead simple to use even for idiots like me. The Programme is on soon after transmission also. I think the TOTPs shows stay on for a week. Check it out folks.

No, Cherry was fantastic in Ruby Flipper. I can't believe you'd want to get rid of her, Ryan.  Surely she could have stayed on for another couple of weeks, if they knew RF were finishing, so that she could have finished with the rest of the Flipsters.
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
I'll second the praise for the I-player that's where I watch most of my 'telly'. And you can watch these programmes again for up to a week. And now I see the I-player has other channels like ITV on it too!  But I believe you can't access the Iplayer outside of the U.K. I might go and watch Noosha Fox again.
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

My problem is that i really liked Mary and im trying to find a position for her in RF. Was Cherrys heart really in the job ? Maybe not. Cherry obviously knew that she was looking to further her career elsewhere so it was a kind of a shame she took the RF job. I know everyone loves Cherry and im sorry about that but Mary was so cute.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but as the old saying goes "You can fool some of the........" and revisiting TOTP from 35 years ago certainly highlights how much dross made it into the charts.  I"m no music expert.   I'm just happy if the artists can sing, failing that perhaps come up with a interesting, even original, lyric or melody, or in the last resort maybe a catchy or moving tune.  Manage to combine two of the above and your going somewhere, three and you're really onto something.

Well there were two girls on the show that could sing, accompanied by two blokes who could compose, so that was a good start.  One of the other groups had come up with an interesting melody but will make for better viewing in three weeks time.  Two quite passable efforts were enhanced even more by the girls with splendid choreography in the bookshop as each girl tried reading two books at the same time.  It captured the frenetic spirit of the lyrics and the music and all four looked great.  Didn't quite see why Hot Chocolate had taken You Sexy Thing and rejigged it into something I wished they hadn't started, never mind stopped.  As for the rest, well no words can truly do justice in expressing how poor it was although an A for effort for Paul N and I did like those yellow trousers.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Yeah ive just viewed the iplayer and last weeks show is still availble. Didnt realise that about overseas watchers, they cant view the iplayer, a pity that.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

At least these TOTPs repeats give us something to talk about, rather looking forward to Thursdays now.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Suefan
Your right and it provides an interesting prism through which to see the girls in context.  What also struck me about tonights show, in contrast to last weeks, was it lacked a bit of pizzazz and I put that down in part to the DJ, although some of the stuff such as the Linda Lewis, BC Rollers, Frankie V and 10cc should have been put down at birth.  At least we had Abba and the Beatles, talk about roses amongst thorns.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Doubleday
I couldn't help noticing that Paul Nicholas had evidently borrowed Errol Brown's jacket ... or perhaps Errol had borrowed Paul's trousers .... have a look if you don't believe me!

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
Do you think Mary could have got into the rather quirky and experimental routines of Ruby Flipper, Ryan? From the brief clips I've seen of her, she don't look too happy.  I thought Sue had a nice few seconds in the spotlight in There's a Kind of Hush.
I feel I don't often need to mention Sue,  as she gets the lion's share of praise and comments on this forum by a great many others. (She is damed good though).
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Suefan, cant believe you didnt give any praise to 10cc those guys were proper musicians and song writers, and the song wasnt to bad.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

No i dont think Mary would have fitted in RF very well at all, yeah Flick got it right again. I just liked the girl.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
Watching these TOTP repeats helps me start my second career commenting on Pan's People routines. Who'd have thought it.
Suefan, those yellow trousers. So that's why they say the 70s was the decade fashion forgot.
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
Well Ryan,
maybe Flick could have replaced Gavin with Mary.
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Floid Fan
10cc did some fantastic stuff.
Altogether now 'I don't like Cricket---ta , Oh no,. I love it----ta'
Carl

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

Yeah good thinking, Gav was a bit of a wash out. Carl lookout for 2 cracking PP routines next week, my avatar pic is taken from one of those performances.

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

That 10cc thing didn't work on any level for me.  Could they sing, no.  Was the melody interesting, no.  Was it catchy or involving, no.  Dross, sheer dross in my book:)

Re: Some comments on tonights TOTP 8/4/76

GRUMPY OLD SUEFAN. again