Quantcast

Song titles that are often incorrect.

We may have covered this before, if so then then here it is again. Basically can you think of song titles our dancers performed to that we on here (me more than most) often get wrong. Now what prompted me to start this thread was our dear friend YMG seemingly making the mistake on his latest blog entry of missing the first word from The Carpenters `There's A Kind Of Hush`. On further inspection of this song title i think the words (All Over The World) in brackets should be added too ! I have to admit i have had that one down as just `A Kind Of Hush` on my clickable links thread and will edit that now.

Indeed i fear going through my many lists i wonder how many more id have got incorrect. For example, id never use that Part 1 business when typing Marvin Gaye's `Gotta Give It Up`. Also i wouldn't bother with any of this `Roadrunner twice` or is it once stuff either.

I also have massive problems remembering to get the correct three words to the early Pans People dance `Wedding Bell Blues`, but thats just down to sloppiness on my part.

So any other examples any of you can think of ? I  will go back and edit my lists with the correct song titles if you can think of any.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Andeebee
the DM & YT channels use the correct titles, as I double check with the UK singles on discogs......

for example - Stars on 45 volume 2 - is Stars on 45 (2) on the single. Enigma is 'Ain't No Stopping - Disco Mix '81' on the single.

I'm sure there are others.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Another song title containing a number that i never use in full is Oxygene 4. Im not sure what that is all about, so i just stick with plain old `Oxygene`. Another song title i never use in full is `Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)`, preferring to omit the 3 Yowsah's. Im sure there are more, anybody want to offer any ?

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

GaryH
Oxygene is a continuous piece of music split into 6 parts. I bought the single at the time which was backed with Oxygene 6. It comes as no surprise that these two segments are by far the highlights of the album.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Another song title containing a number that i never use in full is Oxygene 4. Im not sure what that is all about, so i just stick with plain old `Oxygene`. Another song title i never use in full is `Dance, Dance, Dance (Yowsah, Yowsah, Yowsah)`, preferring to omit the 3 Yowsah's. Im sure there are more, anybody want to offer any ?
Oxygene 4 is the official title as it is 4th variant of Oxygene on the LP

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Dancer
We can forgive you for the Carpenters title Ryan as the album the track was lifted off was called "A Kind of Hush".
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Yes and didn't The Carpenters a few years earlier also have another song title that often gets shortened a lot. (They Long To Be) Close To You, lazy folk like me just call it Close To You.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Come to think of it, its rather a bind to bother with the full title of another Carpenters song, `Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft`.

Good heavens - agree there.  It must be the one of the longest ever as it includes "The Recognised Anthem to World Contact Day".
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

A song title that often gets quoted incorrectly is, "You're The First, The Last, My Everything". Many people call it, "You're My First, My Last, My Everything".
Another BW song is, "I'll Do For You Anything You Want Me To", which is often called something like "For You I'll Do Anything You Want Me To".

The correct title for the Barry White single is For You I'll Do Anything you Want me To.  That was a lovely song that only made the bottom end of the Top 20 and I always thought it was the weak performance of Pans People to that.  I loved it irrespective and bought the record as it has the full seven minute instrumental on the back.  One of the big bonuses with Barry White's songs.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Ive just looked on Barry White's discography and its very noticeable that most of his song titles between 1973 & 77 were made up of 5 or 6 words or more.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Dancer wrote
The correct title for the Barry White single is For You I'll Do Anything you Want me To.
I just realized that that was actually the title of the single in the UK, while in all other territories it was called "I'll Do For You Anything You Want Me To".

Strange that it was released with a different title in the UK.

Many thanks Vintage Videos.  I have just checked Joel Whitburn's book and it was as above and it only made No.40 which I am shocked about as it was such a fantastic song.  I reckon the album Just Another Way to Say I Love You must have been high in the charts.  Good that both UK and US had the same b-sides.  Some artists can be different.  I have just looked at my seven inch of this but unfortunately no picture cover.  I get the feeling that America had the bonus of picture covers long before us.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

VintageVideos
The image above is from the German single. The US release did not come in a picture sleeve.

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

VintageVideos
Another song title that is rarely cited correctly:

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

PattiForPM
The Punctuation Police have deemed the first comma redundant

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

Now i'd never type 1963, just 63. But im not lazy enough not to use the brackets.

Thanks for this picture/attachment Vintage Videos.  I have to admit that I always tend to type December 63 and I am a perfectionist with punctuation and English Grammar so this is a new one but what I do call into question is the statement saying it is edited from the album.  I did not know that and have the Who Loves You album on cassette.  Will give it a listen.  I know that Silver Star runs at over six minutes.
Don't be a party pooper, be a super dooper hula hooper

Re: Song titles that are often incorrect.

AC/PD
Stick an apostrophe before the abbreviated year and it's gramatically correct.