Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
1976, the classic TOTP year of the BBC4 repeats, is slighty hazy in my memory, so it would be great to get in a Tardis and go back to that time and relive it. Though with nostalgia, past years seem to have a uniquely special character and identity,  I suppose in reality there was no special aura at the time and the months of 1976 didn't actually feel any different to the months of 1975 or 1977. It was just the measuring out of time passing, just like the experience of living in 2011 doesn't actually feel any different to 2010 or 2009. (God, I'm getting a bit too philosophical here)
It might be fun to reminisce about what elements of popular culture gave 1976 its special character.
What classic TV programmes and films were we all watching in 1976? What were the classic adverts on at this time?
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
This post was updated on .
I was into 'The New Avengers' with Purdey (Joanna Lumley in her young and beautiful days, she's still glamorous now) and Gambit (the late Gareth Hunt) joining Steed. That was out in the autumn of 76.
Also 'Jeux San Frontieres' the international and more extravagant version of It's a Knockout'. Stuart Hall's laughing, say no more. I used to think all the international teams like the Germans, Swiss, Italians, Dutch etc sounded very exotic!
Tom Baker's Doctor Who at the peak of its popularity.
The Sweeney- didn't enjoy it at the time, but love it now in the glow of 70s nostalgia. (third series, 1976)
Adverts: Who could forget Brutus Jeans with the music 'Jeans On' that crossed into the chart.
What about Birds Eye Beef Burgers and that curly haired kid from up north.
Anyone remember 'Cresta' the brand of soft drinks with the slogan 'Its Frothy Man'
Can I have 6,000 cadbury's creme eggs please? (or whatever number it was)
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

late night viewer
Looking back at '76 my snap-shot is of Harold Wilson resigning, and a skit at the time showing him taking his I think Golden Labrador dog for a walk, which was looped for comedic effect.  Watching the film Jaws at the cinema with some of the scenes scaring me witless! Starsky and Hutch on television. Jimmy Carter being a likable President. Don't know how accurate this is in terms of actual dates but that is how I now view that year. Oh and walking outside on a summers day, sitting on the wooden school fence around the playing fields and it being so hot I felt sick!

Re: Spirit of 76

late night viewer
Of course The New Avengers I remember and have now on DVD. Cresta drinks wasn't that advertised on TV with a cartoon polar bear wearing sunglasses, trying to look cool?

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
Yes, that's right. The Polar bear advertising Cresta.
Of course, Starsky and Hutch was massive in 1976. I used to watch it.
Wasn't Charlie's Angels with Farah Fawcett around in 1976? And The Bionic Woman?
And of course 'Seaside Special' !
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
For those of us who are that sad, there are 70s advert compilations on youtube!
You can also see the original ad for Brutus Jeans with the famous David Dundas song, with its original lyric before it was changed for the single. I'm not product placing. I think they stopped selling these years ago.
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

Number One singles in 1976

    * "Bohemian Rhapsody" - Queen (4 weeks)
    * "Mamma Mia" - ABBA (2)
    * "Forever and Ever" - Slik (1)
    * "December, 1963 (Oh, What a Night)" - The Four Seasons (2)
    * "I Love to Love (But My Baby Loves to Dance)" - Tina Charles (3)
    * "Save Your Kisses for Me" - Brotherhood of Man (6)
    * "Fernando" - ABBA (4)
    * "No Charge" - J.J. Barrie (1)
    * "Combine Harvester (Brand New Key) " - The Wurzels (2)
    * "You to Me Are Everything" - The Real Thing (3)
    * "The Roussos Phenomenon EP" - Demis Roussos (1)
    * "Don't Go Breaking My Heart" - Elton John & Kiki Dee (6)
    * "Dancing Queen" - ABBA (6)
    * "Mississippi" - Pussycat (4)
    * "If You Leave Me Now" - Chicago (3)
    * "Under the Moon of Love" - Showaddywaddy (3)
    * "When a Child is Born"

How many of these number one singles from 1976 did you like then ? How many do you like now ? I think i only liked two at the time, i reckon i could listen to most of them now no problem, with the exception of the awful` No Charge`.

Re: Spirit of 76

Kace

Re: Spirit of 76

Kace
Carl wrote
For those of us who are that sad, there are 70s advert compilations on youtube!
carl i dont think its sad isnt it perservin them? wel its kinda cool as we wernt around 2 watch em the 1st time so we r grateful 2 ave them on ut 2 watch n ave a laugh
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Spirit of 76

mishmash
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
Thanks for the youtube link Kace.You were still decades away from even being a twinkle in your parent's eyes in 1976!!!.
Ryan,
which two did you like at the time from your number one list? Not Combine Harvester, surely? I'll look again and tell you which ones I like.
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

Here I go again Ryan but If you take Abba, Queen and the Four Seasons out of the mix I don't like any of the others!  There were some great rock albums made that year though: Eagles, Bob Dylan, Boston, Jackson Browne, Rush and Bob Seger all made good ones.  For me it was an album year not singles.

Re: Spirit of 76

 I remember this quotation from adverts this year.

 "Lip-smackin', thirst-quenchin', ace-tastin', motivatin', good-buzzin', cool-talkin', high-walkin', fast-livin', ever-givin', cool-fizzin'... Pepsi!"?

Re: Spirit of 76

As a 13 year old kid i liked BR by queen and what else of course our friends the Wurzels.

Re: Spirit of 76

Kace
 "Lip-smackin', thirst-quenchin', ace-tastin', motivatin', good-buzzin', cool-talkin', high-walkin', fast-livin', ever-givin', cool-fizzin'... Pepsi!"?
that ad was a look alike elvis seen it on ut
ABLE WAS I ERE I SAW ELBA

XxXx

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
There's a lot of Abba there, I was never a fan of their stuff in the late 70s/early 80s, but grew to like it more. The two I like listening to at the moment are 'December 63 (Oh what a night) - saw the musical Jersey boys in New York and London, and Don't go breaking My heart (though I bet people got fed up with it at the time as it was number one for weeks). Funnily enough, as a kid, I remember 'Save Your Kisses for Me' from the time. It must have had a lot of publicity. Mississippi sounds plain naff, sorry but that is a candidate if ever there was one for the blandness of 1976.
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

That Pepsi sounds a bit like the Ryanmeister doesn't it Kace?

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
Patti4PM,
that was one of the main comments in the documentary: how the British record buying public was completely polarized into those who bought singles and those who bought albums in 1976 and never the twain shall meet and that the serious music lovers bought albums.Another quote from the documentary I loved was when they were talking about the arrival of punk and the Sex Pistols on the scene: 'Anarchy was not a word you'd associate with Shawaddywaddy.'
Carl

Re: Spirit of 76

PattiforPM
Well when punk first appeared Carl I remember being completely appalled.  It took some of the "softer" stuff like the Buzzcocks and Skids to haul me in later.  If it had been up to me Punk would have fallen flat on its face but I guess I wasn't your average inner city youth either

Re: Spirit of 76

Floid Fan
I thought Bohemian Rhapsody too weird as a kid. I vaguely remember watching this on TOTP . I think I also found the video a bit scary.
Carl
123