TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- [February]

TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- Dance number 86 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Abba  and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 09/02/78 Duration of dance --  2.01 mins
Dancers --  Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 82            Gill 79
Lulu 80                Sue 79
Rosie 80              Patti 78
A link to the dance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNujypLIFL4

  Well firstly the song, this has to be in my Abba top three. I always think if the song is enjoyable then the dance will be too and of course this is true here. Ive watched this many times, mainly the crusty old copy we have on here, but the routine certainly came to live for me on the TV screen last night.
  There was so much more to enjoy viewing it that way. We could actually see those tight black sparkly disco trousers and those high heeled silver ankle boots that made their fabulous legs look even longer. Sue`s flicking of her hair out of her eyes, that look of Lulu`s towards the end, Pauline's lovely smile as she goose steps into view and all the bunny hops all came to life some how.
   The dance moves were faultless, not an error in sight, each dancer bringing their A game. The scenery wasn't intrusive and matched the girls outfits perfectly. Before seeing this again in glorious techno colour on my TV screen i would be giving this say 7. But now ive viewed it like it was meant to be viewed it has to be worth more.
    With so many high class routines to come, i have to be guarded though in how i score routines. Giving this lots of thought today and i reckon 9 out of 10 is about right.

   The dancer of the day, well each girl is quite splendid and for me on this occasion i find it impossible to say which one performs best. So im going to get Pauline on the scoreboard.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Suefan
Well this one was the highlight of last nights show but it could well have been the highlight of many a stronger line up.    Great song, great dance, decent outfits (those odd shape boots aside).  All the girls looking fabulous but Sue has the best moves so she is my D of the D in this 9.5 routine.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Everyone's movements are fluid and fitting throughout "Take a Chance on Me"; the high kicks in the chorus are executed smoothly and in unison, and Sue's star turn is glorious.

My score: 8.5

Now that Ryan has broken Pauline's undeserved duck, I'm delighted to add to her tally by nominating her as Dancer of the Day for this - she keeps gloriously in time throughout, her smile is a perfect enhancement to the whole she-bang, and once more, Miss Peters brings bundles of fun to the table.

I get a notion this is one of the "cut short" routines which Sue mentioned the other day?

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Andeebee
Yes I will come to the rescue on sunday morning with a shiny new copy (complete with intro & outro)

I wasn't so sure bout this at first, I love the sparkly outfits and the little hearts, but after the 5th or 6th viewing it's pretty good stuff, and nice to see Pauline come out of the shadows at last.

DOTD - Sue and her sexy smile melts me every single time...

9.0

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

What can I say?, absolutely brilliant, would be a good opening phrase, especially with the dance moves, I'm really liking those high kicks, it's rather like a dance class being taught by Sue, with a class of five students, the way that she seems to be leading the others, at various times during the performance, & they're all dressed as if it's a keep-fit class as well, with a nice bright stage back-drops.

9/10

DotD:-

Sue

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

This is great.  Bright contrasting colours, all action, a good tune and those long legs highlighted by appropriately form-fitting apparel.  My highlight is that Sue head-flick at 1:11 (mentioned by Ryan) which says to me "here I go, now watch this."  I agree all the Dancers excel here and there's some lovely Patti expressions when I go looking but I really have to say wondergirl Sue carries this Dance for me despite the very able supporting cast.  I think this deserves 9/10 and DotD another unreserved vote for Sue.
Stu

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Stu
Like Abba, like Legs & Co, liked this.

9/10

DOTD - Not a lot to choose between the girls on this one, but there was a few of her familiar cutesy smiles to the camera plus I'm starting to like the perm, so my vote goes to Pauline.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

VintageVideos
This is one of my favourite ABBA songs and a very good routine as well. Unfortunately it's just a few seconds longer than 'Midnight Rider' and thus much too short. We only get to hear half of the actual song!
Nevertheless this scores high with me, 9/10 and DotD is undoubtedly Sue.

P.S. I just noticed this is the 5th "9"-er in a row for this dance!

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

AC/PD
This routine oozes with effervesence with all the ladies on song, and what a classic song to be effervescent to.
I love the high-kicking moments in particular and there's a great moment where Sue's dancing at the front, with the other ladies supporting side-by-side beside her.
I like the costumes which remind me of a cross between those worn in The Stud and the tight Olivia Newton-John gear in You're The One That I Want.
Watching this for the first time the other day, I did wonder what those dark marks scatered across each of the ladies' shoulders and upper-chest areas were: fake bees....flies?
Upon closer inspection, they appear to be small heart stickers/accessories.
Pauline shines in this one and looks soooooo happy and on any other day, I'd pick her.
However, for those super-assured moments in the limelight I have to pick Sue as my Dancer Of The Day.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Great dance to a great song.I love the way Rosie comes out dancing with her hands behind her back.I love the spangly pants and boots.It's great when Lulu,Sue and Gill hop out and start dancing.Who could have imagined goose-stepping could look so good?There's never a dull moment.'Teriffic,Teriffic,Teriffic'.10/10.
Star-Rosie.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Old Bill
Well I'm not going to come up with anything original here I'm afraid! A fantastic dance and a great song - you soon forget about the idiot presenter!

If I have any gripe at all it's that it's too short, but hey ho.

A 9/10 from me.

And the DotD ... well Rosie and Pauline really stand out, but it has to be Sue. Her little solos are real tonics!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
I do love how they look but I’m not sure about the set, the dancing is superb by everyone although I felt the kicks were overdone bit on this one. Lulu looks to be having a great time 8/10.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
I'm with Mac on this one, I really like the sparkly disco pants but the set is awful....very distracting. The more I view this routine the more I like it though, from the high kicks to Patti's lovely shimmy across the floor, the whole performance keeps me watching...very enjoyable routine 8/10

DOTD....Patti...just love that shimmy

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Doc
dotd: Sue, although they all look good.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

We really have a great abba song to start with.The routine is a fabulous one. The ladies are dressed a black blouses and black sparkle trousers, and silver boots. The ladies come out at both sides of the stage with high kicking legs. And split into two rows of three. And do some great disco movements through out the routine. But out of one of the rows at the back. Come the star of the routine. This is the one and only fantastic Sue.

So the Dotd will go to Sue, who does two wonderful solo that makes the routine for me. You can watch this anytime and it will still make you happy.

So the score is 9 out of 10.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

bucksby
Yeah pretty much in agreement with everyone great outfits and very good routine. Didn't like the high kicks segment but overall an 8 for me and DOTD is tricky as no one really stands out but I will give it to Pauline as she looks very radiant here.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
Terrific terrific terrific. Abba and Legs & Co.: a match made in pop-show heaven. One has the greatest body of pop the other the greatest bodies in pop. And 'Take A Chance On Me'. There's not really much of a risk element is there? This is a sparkling and highly enjoyable performance and there is so much I like. The set with its entrance and exit points: I don't know what the arrows are supposed to signify and when it's this good it matters not a jot. The black and pink colour scheme and optimum lighting. The disco-fied keep fit costumes with the silver ankle boots. The comings and goings. The bunny-hopping. Patti's pout-some hip-thrusting. And Pauline seizing the moment to share a secret is a true nugget. The high-stepping with arms behind backs had the potential to be questionable, but when it's done with big smiles to a top-notch perky tune it succeeds.

I could easily be swayed towards both Rosie or Pauline for DOTD, they're both brilliant. But it's Sue who just impresses the most so it's another for her.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Doc
Yes GD, I have to agree with Peter Powell on this one. My only complaint is it ends too soon. Great song, the girls all look like they're really enjoying it and the outfits are great. I was going to be like most and give it a 9, but I think it's a bit better than that and as I don't do halves I've rounded it up to a 10.

Interestingly the more I watch this the more Rosie and Pauline challenge my earlier dotd vote for Sue.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
There is a lot to like in this performance.  A high tempo routine with lots of high stepping and room for solo's. All of the girls get a generous amount of camera time and the song is probably one of Abba's best . I  like their costumes as well.  Just short of an absolute classic so I will score this 9 out of 10 with Sue as DOTD.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
One of Abba's finest is given suitably lavish treatment in this fine routine. The set is glitzy; the kind you might expect to see on a top variety show of the day and the hot pink decor and matching belts on the dancers are most attractive.
There's plenty of memorable moments as they glide towards the nearest exit; from Patti's haughty madam to Pauline's sultry aside and then Sue comes along to take centre stage, complete with looks to the camera. However, my Dancer of the Day goes to Rosie for setting the tone straight away, with her arms behind back entrance and jolting double act with Pauline.
9.25/10