TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Original Broadcast Date:  04/03/1978
Troupe: Legs & Co
Dancers: Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosemary & Sue + Alison, Becky, Charlotte, Louise, Mandy & Samantha
Link: YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygZK2Bcdwuk

I imagine you will all be familiar with the Jim’ll Fix it concept. I would be interested to know what you guys would have chosen to do had you appeared on the programme. Personally I think I would have liked to have joined in a practice session with the England Cricket team. To be honest though, I have never actually seen an episode of the programme!
The first ever episode was broadcast on 31st May 1975 and featured amongst other items a ‘fixit’ for Vanessa Cullom, who danced with Pans People to 'Thanks For The Memory'.
Vin has featured this on the Pans People Comments Thread so for anyone who hasn’t yet rated it, could you please click on this link in order to do so. It will be interesting to compare the scores for each performance.
http://one-for-the-dads.979225.n3.nabble.com/THANKS-FOR-THE-MEMORY-WHAM-BAM-THANK-YOU-MAM-31-05-1975-td4061955.html

Sadly for Ruby Flipper, their tenure was too short to allow them to appear on this programme, however it was inevitable that Legs & Co would be in demand and sure enough they appeared on the show in March 1978.  This time they were accompanied by six girls and danced to the Abba hit, ‘Take A Chance On Me’.

There are obvious limitations when children are involved in a routine. The dance moves have to be kept fairly basic and they definitely couldn’t do anything at all approaching sensual. Nevertheless this makes for reasonably entertaining viewing, helped by the quality of the song. I’m not really an ABBA fan but I think this song was one of their best. It’s nice to see the ‘Roadrunner’ outfits making another return, although I think it’s the first time that they have worn the skull caps. There are plenty of good close ups and plenty of smiles. As for the young girls, well it was a day they would surely never forget and they all made a reasonable fist of things, considering they wouldn’t have had very much time to rehearse. I wonder if any of them went on to be dancers. My guess is probably not although I don’t mean that in a nasty way. It is weird to think that they will all be in their late forties by now!
This dance is a whole minute longer than the TOTP performance to the song. Coincidentally both performances featured arrows on the set.
I am going to give this 7.5 out of 10 which is the score I gave to the ‘Pans’ performance. In both cases I think they wrung as much as they could out of the occasion.
Legs & Co would go on to appear on this programme once more in 1980, performing to Jazz Carnival while being directed by a young boy. Sadly this is not in the public domain although some of you will have seen it.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Mikey
I haven't watched this one for ages, its interesting to notice the colour scheme for Junior Legs & Co is the exact opposite to the originals.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

AC/PD
From start to finish, this Fix-It routine is utterly charming!
Even the introduction pleases, despite the presence of an aggravating, irksome character who grates...and is contended with under sufferance by Jimmy Savile whose introduction to the Fix-It gives added pleasure when revealing that "thousands"wrote in, all with the very same dream on their minds.
The record chosen - the current No.1 - is suitably cheery enough for the occasion and with a tempo none too challenging for the young girls to perform to. One hopes each was pleased with the respective 'Leg' with whom they were partnered and hopefully they were selected on the basis of them all having separate favourites declared in their letters posted to W12 8QT.
At some stage in the pre-planning, the ability of a couple of Little Legs & Co. to perform cartwheels might have come to light so it's good of Flick to incorporate the gymnastics into brief sections where the young girls perform upfront with the women standing back. However, by and large it's the connection of each Leg with their young fans who are clearly having the time of their lives, which really delights. Legs & Co. look pleased to be there too! It's good to see the ladies literally giving helping hands in terms of guidance and steering them in the right direction for floor  spots to be on at specific points to keep the timing and performance together and it's really rather neat how the first literal "line" of 12 forms from 6 partnerships.(Thanks to camera angles and oceans of leg on display, how deceptively tall do Legs & Co. look?!)
The delight is encapsulated facially twice in particular : latterly, the beam on the face of the youngster when bumping hips with Rosie in a hands, knees and boomps-a-daisy move; formerly when, after Patti encircles her partner, the partner repeats the move - the adorable smile on Patti's face which says "Isn't this wonderful!" It is.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

This is delightful and I will not be churlish enough to harp on any deficiencies as they are no doubt imposed by the nature of the Show and the junior Legs & Co requirements as our host has clearly stated.  It is really good fun to watch and to see the ladies interact with their charges gives us a different view from the usual TOTP Dance (even though we know they're kind to those awful punters they're sometimes called upon to shepherd there too).  For those of us looking for some hint of other Legs & Co charm the lovely short skirts are bonus material and I really appreciate the Roadrunner outfits a) standing up and b) this time consistently from the right angle!  Anyway I am awarding 8.5/10 for an enjoyable and endearing few minutes

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Good wholesome Saturday evening family viewing from a gentler, bygone age. Light years away from the disposable dross we are served up these days thanks to the likes of Cowell & Co !

As for the dance routine in question, well its quite charming isn't it. Senior Legs skillfully guiding their junior understudies and making them feel at ease. Perfect choice of song which is easy enough to dance to. I do hope the young uns enjoyed their day and remember it still. I wonder how many of the costumes they took home are still around today.

I will take a chance on `9 out of 10`.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Everything'sRosie
I thought this would be horribly awkward, but it's not, well, not really. In truth instead of the overdose of saccahrin I was expecting it's rather charming, and our girls show a warm nature you just can't fake as they coax their young partners through the moves. I'm sure those children look back on this fondly now, but I suspect at the time they would have been a little frightened of getting it wrong. Can't say it's something I'd want to sit through too often, but it was what it was, and seeing the Roadrunner outfits again is a big plus, and edges me towards an eight

P.S. Your enquiry about my own personal "Fix It" OGW. The show started in 75 so I'd still have been a pre-teen. I was heavily into James Bond at the time so I think it would probably have been to visit Pinewood and see a Bond film in production. The Spy Who Loved Me was around this time, I'm more a Connery fan, but I think TSWLM had the biggest set built for any film ever so to have seen it close-up would have been awesome.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Legsfan
Big Legs & Co meet little Legs & Co! It was so nice for the ladies to take a dance with these young girls who have dreamed of dancing with television's number one dance troupe (on TV at that time). Wonderfun to see the Roadrunner outfits back out of the wardrobe. However, I do prefer the Top of the Pops version, but this one is still very good.
Rating: 8/10

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

This performance is a sheer delight from start to finish.  The little un's are loving it, the ladies are loving it, and I'm loving it.  A 10 without a shadow of a doubt.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for your reviews so far. This is scoring better than I thought it would but I am absolutely hopeless at predicting things. In fact I am beginning to think that my prediction that Tim Farron will be our next PM could be wide of the mark.
I have to say that I agree with Ryan's assessment on the state of Saturday night telly (or any night really)
Also, thanks to ER for sharing his 'fixit' with us and a good choice it was as well. Poor old Roger Moore's recent passing probably didn't get as much attention as he deserved due to all the other news, but nobody could raise an eyebrow with as much charisma.
Please keep the reviews coming and don't forget to rate the Pans one as well!

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

MADMAX
This number is great! The fact that six young children were got together to dance with Legs & Co is something else. those young one's would have had dreams and ambitions. I would think they would have been over the moon and still hold that memory today.  Good on Legs for taking the time to dance with the junior troupe. I give it ten, on that alone.
Wonder if any of the young troupe actually continued with a dancing career of some kind?

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

The Rubberband Man
OMG! There's someone cuter than Lulu!!

Dreams come true for the six junior Legs & Co members, who must have had the day of their lives in London, dancing with their stars of TOTPs. Senior Legs & Co are fabulous role models for the juniors, helping and guiding them through the routine.
The end result is a quality performance from all. High kicks, ring-a-ring-of-roses, and cartwheels, are all part of the action. Beaming smiles all round, and it's topped of with the badge ceremony at the end.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Gorgeous Daze
With only Louise not coming from the South East one thing this inarguably charming occasion lacks is the diversity of accents which characterizes modern fan meet-ups!

A not inconsiderable amount for the juniors to follow here in the space of time that presumably made even a frisbee week seem like a luxury, and each and every one earned their badge. Naturally there are moments of uncertainty but guidance is at hand and one of the best things is the patent delight our girls take in making those young dreams come true. The other big positive from our perspective is of course the return of the leggy team, ditching the motor for full effect. No doubt aspiring little dancers had unwittingly prepared much of the simple grab bag well in advance, which thoughtfully includes that playground staple the cartwheel. So mysteriously easy that no boy would even attempt it, though Dancer may correct me with his memories of Sing Baby Sing.

All done to a pop classic and bathed in nostalgia for a more wholesome age of TV so strong no scandal far over the horizon can destroy it. Lovely to see them leave with the silks should they ever take a chance in the Shetland Pony Derby too.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Mikey
A staple of Saturday tea time telly for many a year, this is certainly the show i most remember Jimmy from rather than TOTPs, my Dad would even call it Jim'll Jinx It, hilarious . No, i never got round to asking for anything, i probably thought it would never get a chance like most people. The route taken with the performance as you might expect is very kid friendly, almost play orientated at times, but it works well for what it is and senior Legs and Co get into the spirit like their predecessors did 3 years earlier. With 6 kids involved i think this is a step up from Pans one, they even brought part of the set from the earlier TOTPs performance.

A difficult one to score as its kind of its own thing, i'll give it an 8/10 on the enjoyableometer.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Mikey wrote
 they even brought part of the set from the earlier TOTPs performance.
Thats a great spot Mikey, something i totally missed.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

How ironic is it that the young lady at the beginning of the clip sports a 1976/77 `cutey-pie` Lulu hairstyle, yet Lulu herself, now its 1978 has moved on to the ill fated tight perm.

As for Patricia right at the end of the clip, theres a touch of the Cyril Fletcher about her ?

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

The Rubberband Man
Patricia reminded me of Pam Ayres. Thought she was about to burst into a poem.....  "I wish I'd looked after me teeth....".

As for the girl at the start with the hairstyle, that's early #Luluism

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Old Grey Whistler
Thanks for all of your comments so far and nice to see MADMAX making his debut in this section.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

I don't remember this dance at all.  I used to have to be subjected to the Fix Its at my Nans and found them boring.  I did write to him about seven times asking to meet Pans People but I was lucky enough not to be picked.  Someone from school did get on this programme though - playing the cello with Julian Lloyd Webber and she came round with the badge - cheap tacky things.  She really enjoyed herself though and it was interesting to hear how she was prepared.

I like the outfits for this - very liberal.  They seem to reflect the same material and design as Ma Baker but irrespective everyone seemed to be having a good time.  I will give this nine out of ten.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Yep I thought Pam Ayres too and RBM quoted the only phrase I remembered from her.  She was an Opportunity Knocks contestant - not sure if she won but she was damn annoying.  Pretty sure she ended up on Radio 2 on a Sunday afternoon.

Cyril Fletcher pic brings back memories too.  This must be from That's Life.  A good show on a Sunday.  A few of those presenters went to radio.

Re: TAKE A CHANCE ON ME - JIM'LL FIX IT

Doc
It's nice to see L&C making those young girls days. I wonder if they still remember it?