TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

TAKE IT TO THE TOP    Dance/performance number 271 by Legs & Co
Performed by  Kool & The Gang  reaching number 15 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  18/06/81  Duration of dance/performance 2.41 mins
Dancers--Anita, Gill, Lulu, Patti, Rosie, Sue.

Sue      250
Rosie    249
Patti     244
Gill        240
Lulu      240
Pauline  231
Anita        4

For those who like their Legs routines with the dance movements corresponding quite literately to the song lyrics, then this is the routine for you. The best example of which is the imaginary rope climbing, carried out quite splendidly by our smiling six-some. I quite enjoy the idea of each of the dancers getting their individual turns whilst the others move around in the circular motion, but the routine is rather marred visually by the lighting (gee, how many times have we said that over the years). I guess Flick and the production crew wanted to create that nite-klub feel. Long term fans of Legs & Co will all know about the Patti stumble in this, for those that don't, well keep your eyes on her when shes on the right of screen. I quite like the sexy gipsy costumes, but i always get distracted by Lulu thinking shes wearing a black arm band ! All the dancers perform well and get loads of camera time, so good luck choosing a DOTD.

Rating. Lighting issues aside, great to see this on BBC4 after years of the inferior copy that served us well on net. I will give it `8.25 out of 10`.
Some confusion over the song title of this, maybe our pop historians can help. The record sleeve says `Take It To the Top`, yet the actual disc says `Take It To the Top (Climbing)'.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Strange intro wording on this routine from Mr Powell.

"Alright, Legs & Co are still with us, you bet they are. "

Was he implying that Legs & Co's tenure on the show was being questioned ? That could be because Legs were absent the previous week (the 11th) or the rumour mill was starting to get up and running with noises being made that their time will be up some time soon (though they did last another 4 months on the show).

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

This is one of those routines I couldn't wait to be shown on BBC Four! Another great example of a perfect performance to a Kool song by my favourite ladies.
Rating: 9/10
DOTD: Gill

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

I admit this is not one of my show stoppers and some of it is down to the rather ordinary song.  I also don't like the way sometimes those waiting on deck for turns pass in front of the principal dancer of the moment and that rope climbing move isn't really my cuppa either.  Having said this the ladies perform well, I do like the solos and it's nice to be back in Neolithic Britain.   All the ladies have their moments and Patti would have got my vote for her sultry turn if not for her misstep.  I'm having trouble choosing anyone else so I am going to reluctantly abstain on DotD again, sorry.  This is a mid-territory outing for the Troupe I think so I'll go with 7/10

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Rosie'sNumberOneFan
Awesome. Again its a tune I don't know, but the dance is brilliant.

Gill looks stunning and her dancing is tip-top, an Patti's high kick is almost worthy of DotD, but its time once again to just sit back and enjoy the Sue Menhenick master class as she puts that racing snake physique to maximum use. That whippy little body is truly a joy to behold.

 out of 10 DotD Sue
When Rosie flares her nostrils

I go weak!

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Colm
I like how inclusive this routine is, giving all six dancers a solo spot, as well as some lovely close-up shots down the line.

I do feel for Patti and her slight stumble.

DotD: Seductive Sue

Score: 8

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Second week at Stonehenge! The Real McCoy has lasted 5000 years, the commendable job of Eighties Man deserved its two weeks. Or had Legs & Co dropped out, tuned in, set up camp, next week's dance as nature intended live with Hawkwind? Well whatever, solemnities over it's time to party and Heel and recumbent stones are unceremoniously removed to make way. That opening takes me back. To 18th January 79 to be exact and Dan Hartman's This Is It. There's a certain eastern bohemianism to the costumes that works with the locale, putting the sex in Wessex. Reveling by night there's a bit much shadow, but they were probably too busy foraging for berries and opposing the construction of the Devises bypass by day. With the nice glow and the smoke I could easily believe that there's a good campfire going in the foreground...were it not for the little matter of the uncooked audience.

This is classic feelgood Legs & Co, the sort of routine I feel most typifies them. Vibrancy, happy faces throughout and a fair share of the limelight for each girl that you'd expect from a commune - always positives with the worshipful unseen. If this had a subtitle it could be (It's My Turn Mk II). The almost animalistic cries of encouragement won't be for everyone but I think they go well with the general abandon.

I like the lines of climbers and other uniting parts. In the spirit of post-hierarchical society and moreover because it's damn hard to choose I was tempted to abstain from DOTD for once. Oh my, there's something about the girl in sparkling fuchsia and my fave would beguile any sultan. But for her slick proficiency I have cast a vote and it's gone to Soloist Five: Sue

8.5/10

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

The next routine for our ladies, as every lady get a solo in this routine. The ladies seem to be in a castle courtyard. And in a circle shaped design. At the front is a semicircle platform that the ladies used to great effect. We have a old Flick Colby trick. The changing lights through out the routine, from semi-darkness to light. The routine start with our ladies in a stright line, facing the camera. So we have a smiling face of Patti, then she moves to the right. Followed by Rosie who goes left, then Sue to the right, Anita to the left, Gill to the right, and last of all Lulu. We have the ladies now in a row. And starts doing a climbing movement going backward to the centre. The moving forward towards the platform. Leaving Lulu in the centre spot to do her solo. She is wearing a waistcoat and blue calots with belt. We see our ladies move around on the platform, were Lulu rejoins the ladies. And Rosie take a place in the centre and does her solo. Rosie reminds me of a hippy, a green head band around her head. A multi-coloured bikini top and multi-coloured skirt. The next being Anita who is wearing a bikini top and skirt with a blue see through slik dressing gown. Then next Gill with a green bikini top and briefs. With a open dressing gown showing that wonderful beauty queen body. Next Sue wearing a black or brown scarf wrapped around her top half, like a bikini top and calot trousers. And last of all Patti wearing a simaler thing as Sue with a bikini bottom and a sorong around her legs. We now see all our ladies moving a round. So all the ladies do a solo. That means them doing they party pieces. This means Sue doing a spin and patti doing high kicks. A unusual thing happens Patti nearly trips, but like a trooper she carries on. The ending of the routine our ladies starts clapping, while the camera moves across the line. With the audience in front of them. All in all another good routine for us all.

The Dotd must go for me to the wonderful Sue.

The score must be 8 out of 10.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Everything'sRosie
Not a bad routine, plenty of energy and the girls all look great during their individuals. The lighting is dreadful though. Another of those songs which I had forgotten all about, but on hearing am instantly taken back to disco night down the ballroom.
8/10 and I think I'll go for Gill as DotD.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Its certainly vibrant and democratic, while finally seeing a decent copy of the VT gives it a boost, but the poor lighting and audience position are still something of a detraction.  So a 7 with sure-footed Sue my Dotd.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

The cavernous night-club setting's a good studio location choice for the Legs & Co. pot-holing team. Lacking the requisite climbing equipment, the only ropey moment comes courtesy of Princess Patti when tripping over herself slightly, bless her. To her credit, she shows no immediate reactionary after effects and besides which she's in heels - try climbing in them.
Good to see them all get a turn in the dim limelight and if Gill's solo stint was a match for her fine outfit and figure on display, she'd be my DOTD. As it is, she 'merely' looks the ultra-sensational. Sue packs a hefty amount of moves and grooves into her own solo moment which is as typically trim as ever. The song's a perfect number for a Legs & Co. performance and overall I'm in P4PM's camp with ER insofar as the Play School climbing actions and lighting are concerned. Love the arm-cuff jewellery worn by them all.
A solid 7/10
DOTD: Sue

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Doc
An odd one, it makes me think of some sort of synchronised dancing competition where the contestants have to take turns on the floor. Flawed but still a reasonable watch 8/10.
Dotd: Gill

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Old Grey Whistler
I was expecting this one to score rather better than it has, although predicting the electorate isn't always easy, as many opinion pollsters have found recently. We have the dungeon set in use again and it really could have done with someone putting an extra 50p in the meter and giving us some extra lighting. The costumes are appealing though. I also like the climbing moves, and it is nice that everyone got their own solo. Of the solo's, Sue performs the best one and so gets DOTD.
I have to say that the first couple of times I watched this I didn't notice Patti's stumble, and I am sure that a lot of people watching at home wouldn't have either. It probably would have been more evident had she not been on the end at the time.
I find this quite enjoyable and my score is 8.75 out of 10.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

At this point of time, Legs & Co. are looking more animated than they've been for a long while, the backing track, by Kool & the Gang, for me, is amongst their greatest tracks, & everybody seemed to be genuinely enjoying themselves, although the studio set lighting was a tad too dim for my liking, at least!

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

VintageVideos
Fabulous routine with Sue demonstrating once again that she is the queen of the spins. I'm a bit surprised this isn't more popular on here but I love it and will award

9.5 / 10

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Great routine from our girls to Take It To The Top, a Kool & The Gang classic, although with each of our dancers taking a turn in the limelight it's more like Ladies Night! I have to say I do find the lighting very poor, and with some of the longer camera shots the audience do get in the way a bit, but that would be my only criticism. Each of the girls looks fantastic, with plenty of close ups due to the solo performances, and I must admit though that I hadn't noticed Patti's stumble until it was pointed out, but like a true professional she just carried on.

Rating 8/10

DOTD Sue

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Mikey
I'd say this is a fair to middling effort, the girls look great and i like the disco cave setting with the audience kind of in shadow at the front and the energy is there in abundance. However its just lacking a little spark of something extra that routines like Bermuda Triangle had, perhaps its down to the song, not one of K&TGs better ones for me, plus the audience whoops are a bit annoying. Not quite enough to take it to my top 5, 7.5/10 DOTD Sue.

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

brandonb
10/10 DOTD: Sue

This upbeat record is exactly what I think works best for Legs and Co's routines... I also quite like this record so that's a bonus too. The gypsy style outfits are fun and I think suit the darker haired girls best - Patti particularly nails the look but Anita's looking good too. Also some outstanding dancing from both Patti and Anita here. Much said about Patti's stumble... she recovers like a pro from that and I didn't even notice it until I looked for it. Back in the 1980s few but the most eagle eyed would've seen it. Nevertheless despite Patti and Anita doing some great work here Sue comes in from nowhere on a completely different level and nails this for me. Her lighter hair colour may not match the gypsy look quite so well but it doesn't matter as those moves just transcend all that.

While the "climbing" motions were perhaps a bit literal and I'm not sure entirely convincing I really liked the way the routine gave every dancer a few moments to themselves... To do this every week would have become monotonous but it could've perhaps been done a bit more often than it was.

The lighting is a touch dark and I expect before the BBC higher quality version was available, this may have spoiled things on the low fi Internet versions somewhat. But in higher quality I find it not so bad... Could've used a bit more fill - but then it would've been less nightclub like which seems to have been more important to the BBC at this time.

So as far as I'm concerned good all round on this one and I feel happy giving it 10 as it represents one of the best IMO...

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Andeebee
breezy, bouncing and very colourful number from Legs, slight guilty pleasure in liking this.

Slightly dark in contrast, but overall doesn't spoil my fun of this, taking it to the top, you bet.

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: Sue
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: TAKE IT TO THE TOP [June]

Stu
The dance made the song sound better than it is, which shows what a good job the girls did with this one.

8/10

DOTD  Gill
12