TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP  Dance/performance number 128 by Legs & Co
Performed by    Crystal Gayle  and reaching number 11 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   12/10/78  Duration of dance --  2.49 mins
Dancers -- Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Pauline 118
Sue      117
Rosie    115
Patti     113
Gill       111
Lulu     110
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24dkk8_legs-co-talking-in-your-sleep-totp-tx-12-10-1978_creation

      ****YOU WONT SEE THIS ON BBC4****
I don't know about Talking In Your Sleep, but this one may send some of you to sleep. Its not one to set the pulses racing thats for sure. I find the song a bit turgid, unlike Ms Gayles previous song which i liked very much. Flick comes up with a routine that matches the song very well and the dancers are suitably attired for it. Gillian is at her dressing table and her five friends join her to wander about looking all moody. Yes its all very graceful, but its not one to play to often. Not much more to say really.

DOTD, its got to be `Gill`.

Rating, `5.75 out of 10`.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Colm
The avatar never lies. Gill has never looked so beautiful - nor has her movement been so elegant and flowing. One can't deny she shines here.

This is one of those routines that, for me, makes me appreciate the song in a new way.

DotD: Gill

Score: 9

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

VintageVideos
Poor Crystal Gayle. Last year both of her performances of "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" were yewtree'd, and this year the same happened each time "Talking In Your Sleep" would have been featured.
Crystal Gayle is not just an extraordinary fine looking lady, she is also gifted with a gorgeous voice. She is one of those singers who have an absolutely mesmerizing effect on me, no matter what she's singing. This song is actually a tad too soppy for my liking, but Crystal could sing the telephone book and I'd still be fascinated.

This wonderful routine underlines the sentiment of the song, and the elegant moves are very suitable. Gill is fantastic here, from the close-up at the beginning to the final scene where she is alone again, lost in thought. I don't remember if she ever captivated me like this before. Yes the mood is a bit sad but that doesn't bother me at all. All in all an excellent performance and an equally excellent performer.

9.5 / 10  DotD: Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

This routine is dominated by one face and this was the beautiful Gill. We start off with the camera shot of Gill's face through a dressing table mirror. Gill get up from the dressing table seat. And dose a nice dance solo of spins and slow movements. Gill and the other ladies are wearing 30s styled bedroom gowns. At 1.21 the other ladies come on to the set, while Gill as gone back to the dressing table seat. The ladies do some nice slow movements, again Gill dose another solo. At 3.03 the ladies leaves the set. And the last shot is the same as the first the fading beautiful face of Gill.

The song is not one of my favourites of Ms Gayles, she had better ones. Another beautiful lady.

The score of this routine is 6 out of 10.

Dotd is Gill.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Andeebee
Another routine where you strain to see anyone (in this case faces - but the female shape of the dancers i know like the back of my hand)

I don't know this track at all, and don't wish too.

Not a pulse racer at all, in fact makes me sleepy....nevertheless Gill is on fine form and she gets DOTD.

Rating: well after the two hander of BIOTB, this is a let down - 3/10

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

PattiforPM
This performance is slow and graceful and reflects the song very well but the soft focus is a little irritating I agree.  Gill is fast becoming Queen of the Night with this dance and Quiet Night in and there is surely no other possible candidate for DotD.  The other participants in the sleepover do well but I find the night gowns a little too restrictive and I'd have loved the odd close-up which we are never allowed.  I am awarding 5.5/10  as this is not one of my frequently watched Dances.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Suefan
I like these slow graceful numbers and the soft focus doesn't bother me but I'm less happy with the spartanly furnished room which appears to open up behind Gill as she arises from the dressing table.  Just the dresser, with a dark background beyond it, into and out of which the other five ladies could have floated would have been my choice.  As ever with this type of dance Gill works her particular magic to a tee and gets my pick for Dotd.  And for a score I'll go for a 7 but it would have been more but for the rather dowdy set.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Another chance for Gill to be quite literally in the spot light beckons here, there's a dreamy soft focus of scenery thought the routine, as we get to see what appears to be what Gill's dreaming about whilest she's asleep, & we see the group of six dancers as simply dream characters, & at the best of times, the other ladies are difficult to see in any great details, but I still rather enjoyed watching this routine once again, the distinct lack of visiual clarity only really works with scenes of dreams, & that at least is what we have here.

8/10

DotD:-

Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

I'm the other way round to some. 'Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue' is a hit the skip button track, but I find 'Talking In Your Sleep' a beautiful and emotive song.  Even more so accompanied by this routine.

The misty effects are frustrating in a way, but they work well in creating a dreamy atmosphere. One imagines that even when the voice of the song manages to sleep her dreams mirror her wakeful thoughts. With the girls in white gowns, and with apart from those of Gill no close-ups,  this has something in common with 'I Only Have Eyes For You'. But unlike that routine I feel the technique works this time. This is because the song is fundamentally one woman's intimate thoughts about her relationship, and the rest of the world melts away into the background. And, crucially, there are some, very affecting, close-ups.

This is a top-notch performance from Gill, who is becoming increasingly impressive in leading roles; and a most sensitive piece of choreography and performance from all concerned. Fuelled by love, Gill's character rouses herself from her tired despondency to dance. An aching and sad dance in which she totally feels the part. The strangely Spartan room facilitates the graceful dance, but along with the empty picture frames it symbolizes the void Gill perceives in her man's heart where she used to be, and her own consequent feeling of emptiness. The other five dancers are equally perfect with a performance full of quiet emotion. The lingering sadness of the song is underscored when they leave Gill solitary once more at the end, lit up against the darkness and awake while others sleep.

DOTD Gill.  8.75/10

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

When you said dreamy atmosphere GD, for a second i thought it said dreary atmosphere, may have been more apt from my view of this

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
LOL. The diversity of opinion on OFTDs is one of the things that makes it such a vibrant place.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Hope to get this into double figures guys in terms of ratings scores, it currently has nine. Thanks.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Agree 100%, GD.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

BeautifulBabs
I love this song - the girl has a fantastic voice which is quite unique and I don't think she is as famous as she should be.

Love Gill in this looking really thoughtful in the mood of the song on her closeups but I just think the bedroom is a bit dreary and
I don't like the wallpaper.

I usually find routines where the girls have to look sad and serious are hard to pull off, yesterday, the man which the child in his eyes and seasons in the sun come to mind and this is good quality attempt to a not really a dancy tune. As others said the routine makes you think about the song.

So its a 7.5 from me and all credit to Gill on her chance to shine - though prefer her effort in never let her slip away.

Vv has crystal been to the dentist since your pic was posted ?

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Thanks for your comments Babsy, your quip about the dentist made me smile. Im assuming you have selected Gill as your DOTD, i take it you are, so i will chalk another up for her.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

AC/PD
BB : for some reason your 'I don't like the wallpaper' comment makes me laugh.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

AC/PD
The hazy, soft-focus creates a rightful dream-like scenario and Gill's doleful, mournful expression matches the feeling of the song perfectly. Is this real or all a dream?
There's something quite effective about having empty picture frames on the walls, matched by the dressing table's mirror, free of glass, possibly meant to give the impression of looking at her reflection but with her thoughts and feelings looking beyond the reflective glass.
Although it's nice to (just about) see the other five ladies dancing slowly to the song's chorus,whilst dressed in night attire reminiscent of that worn in Let 'Em In, I do think this could have worked just as well were it a solo dance.
The love song is quality enough, irrespective of personal taste, although Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue may well be more preferable.
Shows once again that Legs & Co. had range when it came to dance styles.
DOTD: Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Doc
8/10 and of course Gill for Dotd.
Good to see Lloyd back!

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Hi yes Ryan thanks Gill defo dotd - I really did enjoy watching this one and will catch up with the legs routines review by the end of 2014.......

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

PattiforPM
A little Typo BB; you seem to have hit the 4 instead of the 3