TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Paperboyplod
It's going to take BB, over a year from now to get the job finished most probably.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

JEZ
The song never did a lot for me in 1978 ,but it has grown on me over the years ,gill definitley steals the show and does a good job ,its not a dance i watch very often ,but its well done ,but not among my favourites im afraid ,im sorry but its just a 7 from me

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Like Crystal states ‘I heard it said that dreamers never lie’ so I’m not going to start now.

Memories of Sing Country come to the fore when hearing Crystal Gale sing as she along with Glen Campbell always seem to appear, oh well that’s enough of that we don’t need much of an excuse to start reminiscing about 1970’s music programmes do we.

I do like this routine but will admit it’s not at the top of my playlist but as it up for review I feel Legs and Co do a reasonable job to the track. The sleepy, dreamy feel is spot on and I suppose it’s the right call keeping the other ladies faces shrouded in silhouette as if trying to portrait our own dreams and we do have the compensation of plenty time to look at Gill up close in her role as the dreamer.

Not bad at all 8/10. Dotd, Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Jez, i take it your comment about Gill "stealing the show" is your way of selecting her as your DOTD. If so, i will chalk one on for her.
RYAN
Stu

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Stu
I have to agree with Colm here ('This is one of those routines that, for me, makes me appreciate the song in a new way'). I've always liked the song and now I like it more. A gorgeous song beautifully danced to.

9/10

DOTD - Gill

Stuey

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

VintageVideos
I like the different opinions about this one and at the same time I am delighted to learn that a few others do appreciate it as well (not just me!). Makes me feel better...

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
5/10   DOTD Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

bucksby
I do like the song even though I am not a fan of country music in general and wasn't keen on don't you make my brown eyes blue. the routine is pretty good, a nice elaborate set put to good use. The outfits are really nice and the girls are great but this is the Gill show and she is fab & beautiful what more can I say? Gill DOTD, routine 9.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Old Bill
I quite like country music but don't really think this should as a country classic. I suppose it's not an unpleasant song, but another pig to dance too. This song should be accompanied by a bottle of whisky and a noose rather than by our favourite dancers (owing to the lyrical content rather than the song that is). But despite that Flick comes up with a rather lovely graceful balletic dance which - as alluded to already - even cheers the song up a bit.

And has already been said, the soft lighting & soft focus don't help at all - I couldn't even see the wallpaper to like it or not BB! hehe. And the quick burst of light on Gill's dressing table is just a tease to show us how nicely it might have looked.

But having watched it a few times and remembering that Legs don't always have to bright colours, energy and smiles to the camera - and ignoring Savile's bizarre and rambling intros - it does grow.

So, 7/10 and Gill of course for today's dancer.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Old Grey Whistler
This is a nice if not very uplifting ballad and Gill in particular turns in a fine emotionally charged performance. The soft focus concept works well this time giving it a dreamy feel.  Not too much opportunity for the others to shine but they are really only there as backing in this one. Good to watch but not too often.
Gill for DOTD and 8 out of 10.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

PattiforPM
I must just say this is such an entertaining bunch of comments to re-read.  A huge variety of opinions and highlights like Ryan's dreamy vs dreary, BB's wallpaper and dentistry ruminations, Vin's delight at other's shared high opinions followed immediately by an AG 5/10 and OB's suggestion of a whisky and a noose to accompany the song.  It's just a treasure trove; thanks!

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

VintageVideos
PattiForPM wrote
Vin's delight at other's shared high opinions followed immediately by an AG 5/10
I think I saw AG grinning when he wrote that

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Mikey
Was the work experience boy on camera duty, focus man..focus

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Mikey
Another sleepless night for Legs and Co?, well if they do insist on dancing in Gills bedroom at 3am what do they expect. I'm all for a hazy camera effect but they have gone overboard here so much so that its starting to resemble a steam room. Gills performance is great however, adding a mournful tone to this already sad song. The second group part of the dance sans Gill is nice and gentile, but filmed from a distance its a bit frustrating looking at them through the mist. Not a routine to get overly excited about, but worth 7/10 i'd say.
DOTD Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Who's That Hurll
'Talking in Your Sleep' is a routine most famous on OFTD for providing the avatar of our Ireland correspondent Mr Colm O' Rourke.
The soft focus view of a wistful Gill is the abiding memory of this nocturnal piece, designed to fit in with Crystal Gayle's second and final UK hit. The hazy and shadowy lighting creates the atmosphere required, but also means the girls are distant and their faces are too darkened to see. 6.25/10 DOTD Gill.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- 1978

Suefan
Who's That Hurll wrote
'Talking in Your Sleep' is a routine most famous on OFTD for providing the avatar of our Ireland correspondent Mr Colm O' Rourke.
Not for me it isn't !

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

This is another of those routines that i tend not to play very often, and watching it again now i really don't know why. It's a decent song, not sure if it's classed as a country song or a ballad, but either way something i wouldn't have enjoyed back in the day (or more like not admitted to enjoying back in the day!), and it's a nice routine too, sad and wistful, with Gill very much the leading lady, and the other girls in more of a supporting role. The only fault with the performance is the soft focus which spoils the viewing a little, but this could also be down to it not getting the BBC 4 re run treatment.

Rating 8/10

DOTD Gill

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

VintageVideos
It's good to see that at least some of the correspondents here are capable of realizing the beauty of this performance.

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

rootean
If you're looking for one routine to highlight the style and elegance that L&C could bring to a slow song, here it is.

They look beautiful and dance beautifully.  The pace is slower than I like, but there's no doubting the quality of the performance.

Score: 8

DOTD: Gill (never more beautiful)

Re: TALKING IN YOUR SLEEP -- [October]

Everything'sRosie
An ideal song for a solo dance, and in many ways that is what we get as the other girls really just supply some graceful backing for Gill to play her heartache out too. It's all a bit cliched really and we get the inevitable introspective looks into camera topping and tailing the routine. And that's about it really. For a song about sleep it seems quite an omission that Gill's bedroom doesn't actually contain a bed, it does, however, have the chair (unless I'm mistaken) that plays a starring role in the Tragedy routine in a few months time.

Naturally Gill is DOTD. As for the dance, it's all a bit insipid so just 5/10