THANKS FOR THE MEMORY (WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM) -- 31/05/1975

THANKS FOR THE MEMORY (WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM) -- 31/05/1975

Thanks For The Memory (Wham Bam Thank You Mam)
Performed by Slade and reaching number 7 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 31/05/1975 Duration of dance - 1.30 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
Guest dancer: Vanessa Cullom
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHFgqlz6N9k

(Screenshot courtesy of Suefan)
If you wanna go up in a hot air balloon
Or join Pan's People dancin' to your favourite tune,
Jim'll Fix It and you know that he can,
Jim'll Fix It cos' he's that kind of man,
And all you gotta do is write along to him.
Leave it up to Jim.

Recounting the story of Slade on this forum would probably mean carrying coals to Newcastle. So I'll spare you the details and start right in 1973, when Slade were at the height of their popularity. Three of their singles went straight to number 1 (which, unlike today, was a rare feat in those days). Their Christmas number one sold more than a million copies in the UK alone. But come 1974 their popularity started to decline. Slade could never reach the No. 1 spot again, and in 1975 only one of their singles made the Top 10 – for just a solitary week.

"Thanks For The Memory (Wham Bam Thank You Mam)" was a non-album single (at least in the UK) and sounded not unlike some of their earlier records. Yet the days of Slade (and the days of glam rock in general) were clearly over. The 45 made No. 7 in its third week before UK buyers dismissed it with a "Wham Bam Thank You Slade!". The band would not return to the Top 10 for the next 6 years.

On the day the single peaked in the charts, Pan's People performed an exceptional routine to the song on "Jim'll Fix It". This was the very first edition of Jimmy Savile's television show in which he would let wishes of viewers come true. One of the first batch of lucky ones was eight year old Vanessa Cullom who had written in and asked if she could dance with Pan's People.

This is of course not the usual Pan's People routine. The whole performance is tailor-made for Vanessa's participation so it's neither utterly complicated nor does it feature any stunning solos by the girls. But it's the only (surviving?) routine that our ladies performed to a Slade song so I can't ignore it.

It is a nice 90 seconds even though it's needless to say that it cannot compare with any of the top performances. I like how the dresses from "Coconut" were obviously recycled almost three years (!) later. Vanessa puts up a good show and you can clearly see that the moves were well-rehearsed. Her presence provides a lot of fun in this dance. I guess her parents must have been very proud of her! For the pure fun factor, I'll give this

7 / 10

I decided to deactivate Dancer of the Day for this routine, as it's evident that Vanessa is meant to be the star here.

Can I please ask everyone not to discuss Jimmy Savile on this thread. Thank you!

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
Likes
its not wiped
its slade
unique
song lyrics "eat an apple every day an onion keeps everyone away"
costumes
fit for purpose
like the way they line up shortest to tallest in a chain

cons :
not exciting enough to get a high score.

 Q Did cherry and sue get new costumes or did they have to make do with Andy and Louise's hand me downs ?
Think pans also danced to slade on surviving Cilla Black show VV but not sure.

6.5 just cant get too excited here and I dont watch it much.

thanks VV- when's john denver coming on ?

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Ah Vin'll Fix It.  Great that we get to see this and I for one prefer this to the odd Coconut performance for which these costumes were used before.  How thrilled would this young lady have been dancing with her idols?  I'll resist trying to answer BB's interesting but tempting question about the costumes as I think I see tiger country in that direction.  Anyway the ladies look quite lovely.  Yes the routine is simple, as it had to be, but the song is a jolly one and the little lady does excellent work.  This is enjoyable enough for 7.5/10 to me and always good to see Pans and Legs guesting on other Shows I must say.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

How cute does Vanessa look?, it's like the regular Pan's People members alongside her have a mini-me. They'd ll be perfectly placed inside a circus, just some extra facial make-up to be applied, & they'd all look like dancing clowns, & I mean that in a complimentary fashion, as it were.
I wonder what evetntually became of Vanessa.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

A really charming performance and the little lady plays a blinder.  Indeed all six dancers look to having a great time with Flick's cleverly constructed routine which gets a 7.5 from me.  (Expect this to be next for the caption comp treatment.)

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

VintageVideos
It's not often that I ask this, but if anyone could provide a clearer screenshot for this routine - either here or via PM - I would be very grateful.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

JEZ
nice little dance routine done especially for what it was meant for and that was a young girl to dance along to a song with totp legendary dancers pans people ,i think these costumes that were made by the bbc wardrobe department were made to last a bit longer than just one dance ,they had been used on the nationwide show as we know 3 years earlier ,and apparantley for the ressurection shuffle as well in 1971 ,anyway 7.5 from me

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Young Vanessa, where are you now ? Come say hello.

I like the costumes, there to good for just the Nationwide and Jim'll skits. Id wager they have been used on Totps a time or two. `7.5 out of 10`

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

I do like the "conga line" part, as well as young Vanessa being paired up with Babs. Good fun.

Score: 7.5

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Paperboyplod wrote
I wonder what evetntually became of Vanessa.

9/10
She gave up dancing at the age of 12 and now lives in New York. Her mum called into the Wright Stuff morning show on Monday 31 October 2011

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

JEZ
see my post above yours ryan about the costumes being used on totp

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Thanks Suefan!

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Doubleday
I hadn't even grasped this was Slade, though the hoarse vocals should have told me, I suppose. We hear from the John Denver programme that Flick was good at working within a dancer's limitations, and gave John 'little moves that he could do' even though he was no dancer! So it is here, the steps and the mood suit young Vanessa well, and you sense the others are 'leading' her, which is nice. Probably harder to put together than it looked, so 8.5 / 10

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Mikey
Can't say i've ever been a Slade fan, but this song does have a nice groove to it, so well suited to this one off dance. Good to see the funky ringmaster 'Coconut' outfits still surviving and making one last appearance as they are pretty cool, and don't look in bad shape. Nothing very taxing for the dancing, some running on the spot, high kicks and a conga line, but Vanessa gets well involved and that is the main point of the show to give them the experience of learning the dance, and not just the final performance. 7/10

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

PaulF
Always good to see new unseen footage of the ladies,  7/10
Paul

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
I wouldn't have wanted these costumes to be dug out of the wardrobe, but that's beside the point because this was lucky young Vanessa's day. And it's a charming occasion for Pan's People and their little addition, albeit at odds with Noddy's raucous voice! It was nice that they built everything around Vanessa, right from when they form a line of honour to introduce her. I'm sure no-one begrudges her monopoly of the close-ups. The conga bit was a smart idea, allowing her to both lead and be guided. But the whole thing is devised at just the right level for Vanessa to enjoy herself and showcase her budding ability. Her performance was a credit to both herself and her rather special tutors.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Old Grey Whistler
Ahh this is nice and Vanessa looks very sweet and performs well.  It is hard to believe that she will  be getting on for 50  now! I am sure she will still remember the day with fondness. The dancing is understandably basic but still quite entertaining. I prefer Legs & Co's appearance on this programme, although that could be down to the song, however I am happy to award this 7.5 out of 10.

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

Andeebee
All round classy performance and wee Vanessa steals the show from Sue and the girls on this debut Jim'll Fix it, there is a crisp copy in private hands (ahem), but for the purposes of YT this will do nicely.....

7.5/10

point deducted for lack of badges being offered...

Re: THANKS FOR THE MEMORY -- 1975

PansLegs
A lot of fun with this appearance on the first ever Jim'll Fix It show and a great effort on the part of 8 year old Vanessa Cullom from Hillingdon. Obviously the routine itself is kept fairly simple and the music track chosen has a strong beat to it that's easy to follow, so it serves its purpose well. It's interesting to see the costumes from one of the 1972 Nationwide Slimming campaign films (Coconut) make a reappearance here with two different Pans members Cherry & Sue - or three if you count Vanessa's small version!

It proves again how wide a span of appreciation Pan's People had from very young children to old folk, indeed Louise said about their fan mail on 'Clunk Click' the 1974 forerunner to this series, "It ranges from 5 to 50 years really". After the dance, Sue examine's the Jim'll Fix It badge closely (of course at this point it was a new item) and when Pans are asked what they thought, Cherry sums up Vanessa's ability by saying simply "I wish she was 10 years older".

A delightful performance from a gentler age of children's entertainment. 7/10

12