THE CONTINENTAL

 The Continental is a song written by Con Conrad with Lyrics by Herb Magidson for the 1934 Movie “The Gay Divorcee” starring the little known, oops sorry make that big stars, Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire.  Their dance in the Movie can be found here for comparison’s sake http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cjv6nmF7wdk    The Song won the very first Best Original Song Oscar to be awarded.   The Stage Show on which the Movie was based had many more Cole Porter songs but lots of these were cut from the Movie and due to the censorship of the time the title was changed from Gay Divorce to Gay Divorcee as it was felt that a happy divorce was not to be condoned.  Interesting that the “Gay” thing completely escaped them.  Actually the couple was heterosexual I believe and the term still largely had its original meaning back then.  Anyway Maureen McGovern’s cover version did fairly well too and the lady herself made something of a career of disaster film themes singing the theme for the Poseidon Adventure and one of the songs in the Towering Inferno (how many were there I hear you ask).  One of her other claims to fame was a cameo role in the comedy Airplane as a singing nun (also heterosexual although this didn’t matter to the plot or to this review really)

          THE CONTINENTAL     -    Maureen McGovern                                 June 10th 1976

                                          DANCERS:       Phil, Lulu

       LINK:   http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26amj9_ruby-flipper-the-continental-totp-tx-10-06-1976_creation

   This is a very appealing Dance starting with Phil pouring a seriously under-age Lulu way more bubbly than he gives himself but resulting in a smooth and graceful performance by both dancers.  Phil proves to be a really fine dancer and very light on his feet here and Lulu is as sweet as can be and holds up her end of the bargain extremely well.  They really look every bit as good as Fred and Ginger to me and that would be high praise if only my opinion carried any weight at all.  Of course there’s no DotD here as I'm disabling this feature for duets (although I think Phil would take it honestly) but I do like this performance very much and would award 9/10  and for once Edmonds’ posh voice was just right for the piece.  Please do tell me what you think friends

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Suefan
This is a lovely dance and, aside from the stair work, I prefer Flick's choreography to that of the original.  Both Flippers start out a little tentatively but once they get into the dance really blossom so I'm scoring this as an 8.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Lookmacinanger
Well done Phil and Lulu, what a smooth little number you give us to The Continental 8/10

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

If this is what Flick means by a Continental dance routine, then I'll have some more of 'em please.
This is also an area where Lulu really seems to shine through, & she certainly does the business here, & that glass of champagne may have helped on on her merry way, as at times, she's the one looking like she's taking the lead as she sashays across the stage with Her dance partner Phil, looking absolutely beautiful, it must be the 'cutie-pie' look that has gotten her the female role for this dance routine.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Andeebee
Nice and smooth as drinking BBC champagne, Lulu looks divine in this, and Phil holds his own....seriously which of Lulu's fans wouldn't want to pour the lady a drink.

Nice slice of fun and a breath of fresh air from the disco onslaught of the charts.

Scores on ADB's doors:  9/10

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

No split vote for me then, as this is where it was going to happen. Definitely Phil's best routine; such a mature, confident and stunning routine from such a young talented pair.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Absolute perfection all round. The choice of dancers is spot on. Im guessing Phil was the natural choice here, but for his partner it would have been far easier to over look the young un and give the spot to one of the other three. Lulu must still have been nervous at this stage in her short television career but boy she didn't show it and she played a blinder here. I cant spot a single fault in their dance moves and both performers nailed this. Yep Noels intro was good, the song ain't bad and we can also forgive Phil to giving Lulu to much lemonade !

Never get bored of watching this, Lulu looks exquisite too, so its `10 out of 10` from me.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

VintageVideos
I absolutely love this one. Maureen McGovern's interpretation of the song is great but the dance is just fantastic. Possibly the best duet ever. The boy/girl combination is spot-on here. It's got class, it's romantic, it's got a touch of humour and it's perfectly executed. And Lulu is such a cutie-pie!

10 / 10
Vin

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

PattiForPM
Thanks folks; some great marks here and Lulu and Phil seem to be making real waves with this performance.  I agree the casting here seems to be perfect and for a sixteen year old to be this proficient is quite remarkable in my book.  Oh and I also agree the Beeb would more likely have given the couple pop to start with and not real bubbly!  I hope others will take a look and share their thoughts

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

PattiForPM
Still hoping for more reviews of this fine performance chaps and chapesses.  Lulu and Phil did their best for you and now it's time to return the favour

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Old Grey Whistler
It is not just the bubbly that is sparkling in this performance! Phil is debonair, Lulu is elegant and they look as though they have been dancing together for many years, as they turn in an exquisite performance. I think even Fred & Ginger would have been hard pressed to improve on this.
Worth 9.5 out of 10 in my book.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

PaulF
Smooth routine nicely performed 8/10.
If there was a DOTD it would have to go to Lulu for being so elegant and graceful in those heels.
Paul

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

PattiForPM
Thanks OGW and PaulF for putting the Continental on the map as it were.  For those of you who are fussing over last minute Xmas Shopping, my present is an easy one; just post on here and give me a quick review and I'll be thrilled opening this Thread I promise

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

I see I will be sending out relatively few Thankyou Cards this Year   However I continue to be hopeful

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Gorgeous Daze
To paraphrase The Queen, 'At this time of year we think of those in need in the wider family of The Commonwealth'. Or, as I like to call them, The Other Continentals.

This is a song and recreation of an era that doesn't connect with me. It's the kind of thing that might do it for me if interpreted for comedic purposes, but not as a homage. So it's quite hard for me to rate, because, on the other hand: Phil and Lulu take a bow, this is an impressive performance! The opening on the (A)stairs with the champagne and Lulu's adorable smiling face is possibly RF's finest. Lulu already had the hairstyle and this vintage style of dancing is clearly a forte of Phil's. If it was 'Strictly' Phil would be the professional and young Lulu the improving celeb and winner in the making. So much so that Phil is able to take a break on the stairs to admire the fruits of his tutelage. And then comes that important and perfectly executed multiple spin to polish it all off. Along with, by all means, the champagne.

8/10  More? You want more!?

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
What a wonderful, elegant and refined display from these two young whipper snappers, effortlessly gliding around and perfectly in sync. A more perfect duo for this song I can't think of.
And wonderful flimed - just one nice simple continuous shot, no fancy camera gimmicks here!

Was the pop and gurgling at the beginning part of the song or added by TOTP?

9/10 for our very own Fred & Ginger.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Mikey
Well i guess this song can fall into that 'novelty' category, a record so not of its time it would stand out a mile. But yes here it is on TOTP with a duet from Phil and Lulu, hard to imagine something like this in later years of the show. Its not my usual preference of style for routines but i can appreciate the artistry and dedication, and the performance Phil and Lulu offer here and its delivery is spot on. Not a routine i would watch all that often so 8.5/10 seems a fitting score.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

bucksby
surprisingly I do like this song (I do have very varied tastes) and the routine is fabulous. Lulu does an amazing job considering she is only 16 (is this right) great set too. 10 for me.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

Doc
Come Dancing on TOTP! Not a style of dancing that's 'my cup of tea' but what else could you do for this song. It's well performed (in my layman eyes) and it is entertaining, so 8/10.

Re: THE CONTINENTAL

PattiForPM
Thanks to you too Doc for kindly revisiting the RF Comments section.   Bucksby, Lulu would indeed have been (by my swift count) 16 years and 172 days when performing this fine Dance