THE FLASHER

The Flasher by Mistura is a bit of a mystery.  It was composed by Lloyd Michels and Richard Hurwitz and Northern Soul here we come…..I think.  I don't even know if it means the usual Flasher (not so judging by Flick's lack of raincoat usage on the boys) but on my side of the pond flashers are usually on vehicles.  It features Trumpet virtuoso Lloyd Michels, who was apparently the go-to man for high register trumpet work in 1960s and 1970s New York on Broadway and in the Studios there and who also worked with several of the best Big Bands prior to that.  He does seem quite proficient but since then he has fallen on hard times but is rumoured to be making a comeback.  Mistura itself has eluded me and I can find out nothing about it/them/him/her.  At one point I got confused as one of the modern DJ/Producers uses the nickname for himself but as he was born in 1964 this is clearly not him.  One interesting factoid I found was authored by one of our own venerable members and this is that the song went down the Charts the week before this so one would not have thought that Flick and the Producers would have expected it to rise again.  (Credit to Vin)  Hence this is might well be a replacement for another performance and this could perhaps explain the odd costumes.

         THE FLASHER    -    Mistura                                          June 24th  1976

                        DANCERS:            Cherry,  Floid,  Gavin,  Patti,  Phil,  Sue

           LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26ajjs_ruby-flipper-the-flasher-totp-tx-24-06-1976_creation

Rarely do I say not enough dry ice.  I will come clean from the start and say that this is my least favorite non-solo Dance (yes Vin, you know which isn’t) and I think Lulu was fortunate to be absent this week.  I find the music uninspiring, rather like a low budget Variety Show theme, and the costumes here leave me completely cold and look as if they came from the depths of a BBC dress-up trunk.  Neither do I like the lifts and the piggy-backing, although Gavin’s hand stands and walk are always impressive, especially in his Biggles outfit.  There are some good moments like Cherry’s Hula Dance, the playful smiles of the three ladies at the end and Patti’s renowned high kicking but I really find both Patti’s and Sue’s outfits unflattering and that’s an almost impossible achievement not worth achieving and spoils the Dance for me.  I also think Floid just looks silly in this one and it appears he quite justifiably failed the Wizard of Oz audition.  Phil is bright as always but I am giving my DotD to Gavin this time, even though their handling of the precious Cherry looks precarious at times.  My mark for this is only 3/10, sorry.  I sincerely hope some of the rest of you can find more redemption in this than I can….  (and I suspect you will)

Re: THE FLASHER

Paperboyplod
A great routine that allows the dancers show us what they can do as a troupe, whilest at the same time lets them express their soloist talents, but I'm not sure that Floid, having to play a dancing bear made things particularly easy for him.

Sue clearly looked to be the center of attention at times, & Cherry performed some marvellous acrobatics, & there's a great climax, where the ladies are piggy-backing atop of the blokes.

8/10

DotD:-

Cherry

Re: THE FLASHER

bucksby
Firstly I agree that I am not keen on the song. It was apparently big in Northern Soul clubs but I am not 100% sure how true that is. I don't think the dance is that bad, certainly no classic but Floid looks ridiculous in that tiger outfit although I have to disagree slightly about Sue's, I don't think it is that bad and I think Sue looks lovely in this routine also I love her solo bit around 1.40. Patti reminds me of my sister in law in this routine! However DOTD is Cherry great outfit, looks hot and overall I would give the routine a 6.

Re: THE FLASHER

I have to agree with P4pm.  Some of the costumes on view here are real shockers.
Sue didn't make it down the yellow brick road in time to nab the pick of the bunch; that one went to Cherry, but at least she hasn't been saddled with what poor Patti is wearing.  Has anyone ever seen a less appealing outfit.....  that dress is truly the stinker to end all stinkers!  As for the boys gear, well the less said the better.  Truly dreadful outfits, all three of them.
The dance itself works a little better, although I'm never a massive fan of the Flipper routines that took place in this particular floor space, and some of the lifting is, of necessity in that surrounded arena, a tad ponderous.  The routine ends with a cut away when all three girls are aloft, a wise move as the dismount must have been anything but gainly.  However, on the plus side Cherry looks simply divine, at least when her grass skirt isn't being worn over her shoulders, and Sue's solo spin is on the money.  Overall though it isn't one of my favourites and so I'm giving it a lowly 5. Perhaps that's being harsh, for a characteristic of the Flippers was their innovation and this one is certainly different, but then not every duck Flick pulled out of her bag could be a winner and this misses the mark.

Re: THE FLASHER

Sorry if this post will be a bit long, but there's quite a lot to say about this routine.
To begin with, this is the first time I could guess a routine by the clue(s) that PattiForPM gave, so I had a bit more time than usual to prepare for my comment.

P.S. Thanks to Sue we now know that "The Flasher" was not a replacement routine and that there wasn't a frisbee'd routine that week. The following part of my post (in italics) is now obsolete but I decided not to delete it.

The most interesting thing about this performance is that it took place at all. "The Flasher" had dropped from its peak position of No. 23 to No. 28 in the previous week, so it is very unlikely that Ruby Flipper were rehearsing this dance on Monday. When the new chart came in on Tuesday, the track had gone up again to No. 24, but I don't think that this alone was reason enough to change the planned routine. The song they originally rehearsed to must have either gone down or moved only marginally up the charts.
If you look at the previous week's charts, there aren't many potential candidates, and, as I don't want to bother you unduly with my thoughts in detail, I believe the song they most probably rehearsed to on Monday had been a new entry at No. 48, a record by Silver Convention called 'Tiger Baby'. Surprisingly it only moved up two places to No. 46 in the following week and so was probably deemed unworthy of a TOTP performance.
Can you imagine what costumes Flick would have used for 'Tiger Baby'? Just fancy a circus atmosphere, with Patti as the animal trainer and Floid - well he was obviously picked to play the 'Tiger Baby'. In my imagination this is exactly what we're watching here - but to the music of a different song.
And that's maybe the biggest fault with this routine, the costumes just don't match the music, but how could they? Besides, the routine was not well rehearsed as time was just too short. That's why the whole thing looks very strange, and I always keep thinking of 'Tiger Baby' when I watch this one (which is just rarely).

So it's no surprise that 'The Flasher' doesn't get high marks from me. The music isn't exactly my cup of tea either. Yes I also read that this is a Northern Soul classic, and it may be good on the dancefloor (with a few stimulants in action) but it's not music I would normally listen to, even though there can be no doubt that the trumpet playing is first class.
There are some good points here, Cherry looks quite hot in her outfit, and there's a lot of action, but that's about it.

4 / 10   DotD: Sue

Re: THE FLASHER

  This song is without doubt Northern Soul and i do remember it being played at the time, but its certainly not a classic from that genre. Yep Vin, i will buy into the fact that these costumes were originally intended for another song and i like your theory of the original target song. The routine that was performed to `The Flasher` looks very thrown together to me, infact i consider it slightly childlike in a way, almost like a school yard dance.
   The three girls really stand out in this, and to be honest the boys are just bit players. I don't really have such a hang up on the costumes, as i reckon they are being re-hashed. Sue looking devine in blue polka dots and Cherry gorgeous as ever. I agree with others that Patti should have requested a change of costume, but ive seen far worse attire.
   Poor Floid, once again hes drawn the short straw and looks a total chump in his furry animal costume on one of the hottest nights of that glorious summer, no wonder hes sweating buckets. I wonder if Television Centre studios had air-con back then ?
    The boys attempts to hoist the girls aloft dosen't look very slick, and appears to be a struggle. Phil & Gav lowering Cherry back to the floor looks a real mess. In a strange way the ending of the routine kind of shows the girls dominance in this routine. Each with smiles on their faces as the three boys puff and pant with the girls perched on their shoulders.

    For DOTD, i considered three. Cherry for looking so sexy in her costume and for having to endure the two boys manhandling her. Gavin for his party-piece hand stands. But once again ive gone for `Sue`. Her small solo half way through was performed to perfection and gave this rudderless routine a touch of class.

   For my rating, well after not giving this a good review, its still watchable. I really like the tune, and i don't mind these routines that were performed on the large studio floor, something that Legs & Co never really did.  Its a bit of an oddball routine so heres an oddball score rating. `6.35 out of 10` !

Re: THE FLASHER

Certainly a rather bland effort and as I've said before I'm not keen on the 'just been to the jumble sale look'. VV's probably made a good assumption about what they were expecting to dance to as there is no reason for Floid to be wearing that outfit.
I'll give it an OK 7.
Dotd has to be Cherry for the hula outfit which helps me forget that the dance is a bit boring.

Re: THE FLASHER

Andeebee
I really can't comment on this P4PM, just one of many i won't attempt to say anything - just say i personally don't like this offering.....the girls and boys do their hardest in shocking outfits that even defy the 70's standards of nastiness.

3.1/10

DOTD: Sue

Re: THE FLASHER

Thanks for your comments chaps.  A fairly wide range but general agreement that this is not the Flippers best outing and Vin's detective work is really interesting and could be one of the few times we have found a Frisbee in Tiger Baby, along with Sue and Gavin's  "I'm Your Puppet" by the Purify brothers.   I should have praised Cherry more enthusiastically as she does look great in this Dance but I still find the whole thing a little unsatisfactory so the thought of it being a last minute replacement does appeal to me.  And I do agree with SF about Flick living on Art's knife edge sometimes BTW.  I hope there are more Commentators ready to contribute yet...

Re: THE FLASHER

Colm
I don't mind this, not the best Flipper routine but neither the worst. There are plenty of nice moments here, such as Cherry's gymnastics, Phil's spins and Gav's handstands; even Floid's swishing his tiger tail is quite fun.

DotD: Patti (for the high kicks and that glorious smile towards the end)

Score: 6.5

Re: THE FLASHER

PattiForPM
Thanks Colm.  I'm still hoping for some more action guys.  Come on now, first prize is a Hula lesson from Cherry (second prize a chance to wear the tiger suit for a whole day!)

Re: THE FLASHER

Gorgeous Daze
This has a loose, semi-improvisational feel. (Psst! It look's like they're makin' it up as they go along half the time). And with the wacky mixture of costumes it's like a parody of a sixties' happening tailored for mainstream TV. By an alternative comedy team that didn't exist between Monty Python and Not The Nine O'clock News.

Floid looks plain ridiculous, though decades ahead of the game (not that sort of game, Prince Philip, put the rifle down) in his tiger onesie. And poor Patti in that ghastly post-funereal inter-war dress...But Cherry's outfit is agreeable and Sue looks sooooooo cute in her little polka dot dress just made for spinning in. The Cherry lift is ungainly, and Gavin's handstand looks thrown in simply because it's his party trick. Part of me thinks there's no way anything but a low mark can be justified. But the girls are so full of youthful joie de vivre atop the boys' shoulders by the end that it warms the cockles of the heart.

DOTD Sue.  6/10

Re: THE FLASHER

Lookmacinanger
Nothing flash about this routine just a good honest effort by Ruby Flipper, which I think comes across rather well.

The outfits, well perhaps they were left out at the end of the Crackerjack pantomime and we’ve heard before how the BBC props department lead the way in implementing a vigorous recycling policy.

Always think an instrumental track works well when given to the dancers and The Flasher by Mistura is no exception, so you’ve all done very well (now where have I heard that before)

7/10, Dotd Cherry (How that garland stayed in place I’d love to know)

Re: THE FLASHER

The Flasher is one the worst routine that Ruby Flipper did. It just odd from the beginning of the routine to the end. And the   costumes that they were wearing. Did the costume designer have a bad day off. We start with Patti, who is wearing a long brown gown and a tiara in her black hair. Then Sue dressed in blue poker dot dress. and finally a Hawaiian dress that show off Cherry fabulous figure. The men dancer are wearing strange costumes Phil in a Russia Cossack outfit. Gavin in a Biggles outfit but its Floyd who get the worst costume a animal outfit.

Now for the dance routine the tree ladies are on the shoulders of the men. Then put on to the studio floor were there form a circle, And seems to do the hoke coke type movement. Then become a solo spot for each member of Ruby Flipper. Sue dose a few spins then gets pick up twice. Patti dose her high kick and Cherry dose a hula hula dance. The main solo spot by one of the men is done by Gavin. This is him doing a hand stand, that he dose well. The end of the routine is the same as the beginning with the ladies on the shoulder of the men. Not one of Fick Colby best dance routines.

The score for this routine will be low 2 out of 10.

But if there is dotd it would be Gavin for hand stand.

Re: THE FLASHER

PattiForPM
Thanks for your comments GD, Mac and SFE.  This performance is nestling near the bottom of the league table but I agree with GD that the Troupe infuses some warmth into even the oddities like this one and there are always some good moments.   Any other contenders for the Hula lesson?

Re: THE FLASHER

Old Bill
This post was updated on .
Gosh there's some harsh low marks going here!! There's nowt wrong with this surely?! Or at least not as bad as you're making out.

An odd dance yes, but a bad one? No way. Not the best by all means - but a lot of jolly party fun. And surely the odd costumes is supposed to conjour up the image of a fancy dress party?
Phil the Russian Cossack, Floid the teddy-tiger, Patti for the flapper, Cherry the Hawaiian hula girl, Gavin the pilot and Sue... umm.. not quite sure.
And not sure why, but the song - or rather the tune - is definitely a party tune. So why not give it the feel of a party? A few streamers or balloons might have helped if that was what Flick was trying for...

Also, I think on the whole the costumes are pretty good - perhaps not Floid! But the girls look great. Patti looks very elegant and sexy in her slinky flapper dress - which thankfully still allows for the odd high kick. Cherry's grass skirt and lei show off her svelte-ness to the max. And Sue - as a baby girl?? - always looks lovely. Gavin the pilot has obviously mastered the skill of flying upside down too.

The dance is fun, although I'm sure not particularly challenging for maestros-of-moves. I did wonder during You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine what was going on, as it looked like it all meant something. Here you don't need to know what's going on - it's just good time party fun, emphasized by the circular formation and okie-cokey ins & outs, much to be seen at all good Christmas parties! Except no good party would be complete without Lulu.

Of course me 'fancy dress party' theory might be completely wrong, but who cares if there's no rhyme nor reason to this. It's a lot of fun that only tails off towards the end with the hoisted-aloft clapping.

7.5/10 and DotD is tricky... Cherry I'll go for.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: THE FLASHER

PattiForPM
I've missed your comments on here OB and it's good to see them again.  You certainly see things differently from me and this kind of variation is the spice of these comments threads.  I don't think we two would very often be heading for the same girl on the Dance Floor or indeed the same shirt on the peg  but it's great that we support the same troupes

Re: THE FLASHER

Old Bill
"You certainly see things differently from me..."

I'll bring you round! Just stay off my dance-floor girl - and my shirts! haha!
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: THE FLASHER

Mikey
Did Flick get the impression this was some kind of music used in a circus?, with those cheesy brass sections and piano i can certainly envision the odd juggling or clown act in the big top to this.

Well thats not what we get but its close, with Gavin and Cherry doing acrobatics, Floyd dressed as some sort of animal, Sue at her 10th birthday party, Patti as oh i dont know my analogy faulters with that one. Also we have the usual apathetic audience circling the dancers, some joining in, most not. Its a bit of a mess of different things that dont really link together, but its a happy mess and bizarrely i quite enjoyed it, particularly the end with the ladies sitting on the guys shoulders as they spin in a circle (careful lads!).

5.5/10 DOTD Phil, always cheery in his performances and does no wrong in this one either.

Re: THE FLASHER

johny66
Some additional info that would interest you..Mistura, a.k.a. Dave Lee, is the UK’s most successful and longstanding soulful house DJ and Producer. Some of the best 1970s Broadway musicals include Grease and Annie.
12