THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

VintageVideos
The Hustle
Performed by Van McCoy & The Soul City Symphony and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 26/06/1975 Duration of dance - 2.20 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=2432

"Ladies, I suggest you tie your menfolk down because Top of the Pops presents, wearing less clothes than they've ever worn before, the fantastic Pan's People hustlin', honey, over there... over there..." (DLT introducing "The Hustle" on TOTP).

Van McCoy was already an established hit writer in 1975, having penned, among others, "Baby I'm Yours" for Barbara Lewis, "When You're Young And In Love" for Ruby & The Romantics and "I Get The Sweetest Feeling" for Jackie Wilson. He had also recorded a solo album in 1966 and started his own production company.

But the one song that would make him immortal was "The Hustle" - a track that was recorded as the final cut for the album "Disco Baby" in the last hour of studio time left. McCoy had no idea that it was going to be a hit, in fact he only wrote it because his partner Charles Kipps had kept bugging him about doing something with this new dance that had become so popular in New York. The rest, as they say, is history. "The Hustle" entered the US Hot 100 on 19/04/75 at No. 95, and 15 weeks later, on 26/07/75, it finally made it to the top spot. In The UK Top 50, "The Hustle" peaked at No. 3 for two weeks. Sadly, McCoy passed away at the early age of 39 on July 6, 1979.

It's interesting to note that the song was only featured twice on TOTP during its 12 week chartrun: the first time on 12/06/75 in a version played by none other than Johnny Pearson! On 26/06/75, "The Hustle" had spent its second week at No. 4, having not quite reached its peak position yet. It is subject to speculation if the Pan's People performance ("wearing less clothes than they've ever worn before") helped to boost sales of the record, but it probably did.

TOTP 26/06/75 is another show that's been wiped by the BBC but most of it was saved by the PVL. The Pan's People routine was also recorded (and in better quality) by another of our heroes, the Vicar. Thanks to an anonymous donor, the PVL version is now available on the blog. This is one of those dances that demonstrates how good Pan's People were in 1975. Not just because they're not wearing much, but the music and the steps simply go so well together. As "The Hustle" was one of the defining records of the summer of 1975, and a good dance record to boot, I had high expectations before I saw this clip for the first time - and it certainly didn't disappoint. A lot of variation, a good number of close-ups, lovely dresses, it had everything I had hoped for.

It must be said, however, that after the initial enthusiasm has faded you will start to notice a couple of obvious blunders in this routine - well at least one is so obvious that you will most probably detect it the first time you view it. One of the girls is having a "bad day at the office", see if you find out which. So, while I really enjoy playing this clip, it's not one I would award full marks.

9 / 10
Vin

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Everything'sRosie
This is a lively affair. A terrific dance track to, er, dance to. DLT's introduction is very much a product of the times of course, but obviously said with a twinkle in the eye. There are a couple of ropey moments admittedly, but they just about get away with it. Not really fair to dissect something only meant to be seen once forty years after the event. I think the two piece combos are brilliant, predominantly white with flashes of scarlet in the knickers, shoes and ribbons. This was near the end for Dee Dee, but she never looked better to me. Love the hairstyle. And Sue certainly does a fine twirl. I'd love to see the better quality vicar recording, but this one's not bad. So Van McCoy died as long ago as 1979. Didn't know that.

Marks: 8/10
DotD: I'm going for Cherry

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

I really like this one.  It just flows and there's tons of joy on those lovely faces every time we get to look (quite often thankfully).  Of course the costumes tick many boxes too.  I think the slow section is tricky (but much appreciated!) and so is the rushing in and then spinning out and fast hand movements and I can easily forgive some timing glitches here.  All told I think this suits the music to a tee and I'm giving 9.5/10 and I agree Cherry is afire here with Dee Dee a close second for me.  Also a nod to the camerawork on this one

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Great choreography coupled with fine camera direction puts this right up there in the canon of Flick's work.  The costumes also tick the box for this gentlespoon, so its a 9.5 with centre forward Sue my Dotd.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

A pleasant enough tune, sexy skimpy costumes and for the main a well executed routine. The leg pointing to the slow bits is very well done. Though whilst its great to have this in our OFTDs blog arsenal, for me it doesn't quite reach the giddy heights of some of those late Pans routines and like most of the guys so far im shy of the maximum, so its `9.25 out of 10` from me.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Gorgeous Daze
There's only one thing that can evoke carefree summer evenings of childhood better than The Hustle: The Shuffle! Marvellous. And in speckled whites as weightless as butterfly wings these rays of sunshine bring me a new visualization to augment hazy memories. A striking decision to match the smalls with the shoes...which increasingly colours the routine. I like the grouping up at the climactic pull of the strings, and easy on the spot moves for the main melody suit a popular dance craze. But then there's the sophistication of spinning free at the call of the trumpet gliding over the sonic scenery like a bird and catching ethereal moments with slow trains to Dreamsville. Even if one misses their station generally the acute synchronization is well-delivered.

9/10   DOTD Dee Dee

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

This is one beautiful dance and equally one fantastic piece of music.  When this show was first aired it was red hot outside and I would imagine the same indoors too watching this.  Van McCoy had a very good career in 1975.  He also worked with The Stylistics on the Thank you Baby and You Are Beautiful albums and maybe one track on the Fabulous album.  He gave them their first and only No.1 with I Can't Give you Anything which was beautiful.  The b-side Hey Girl Come and Get It was equally good.  Of course later he would put Gladys Knight into the Top 5 with Baby Don't Change your Mind which I always thought Legs & Co should have danced to.

I have watched this routine copious times over the years and I have never seen the mistake so I would like someone to put some flesh around the bones for me as again it needs more than one pair of eyes to decipher these routines.  I loved the outfits and called into question on a previous status if the pants were from the Love Theme song.  The length of the skirts were equal to Mike Batt's track.  The routine also is excellent to copy for keeping fit to and music suffered a terrible loss when Van passed away.

I am going to award this dance ten out of ten and the best dancer is so so difficult as they all were beautiful.  I will however award it to Babs.

Footnote:  Interesting to note that the American version of this tune runs at 3.26 whereas the UK version runs at over four minutes.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

VintageVideos
Dancer wrote
I have watched this routine copious times over the years and I have never seen the mistake so I would like someone to put some flesh around the bones for me as again it needs more than one pair of eyes to decipher these routines.
For the most obvious one, watch between 1.30 and 1.35 in the linked clip. There are also a couple of minor ones, but if you can't see them, you may simply be enchanted by a certain dancer

Dancer wrote
Footnote:  Interesting to note that the American version of this tune runs at 3.26 whereas the UK version runs at over four minutes.
3.26 was the single edit. I don't have a copy of the UK single so I don't know if the UK used the full album version of 4.10 on the 45. But the German version is also just 3.27 long. Interestingly, the German & Dutch singles featured the much weaker "Disco Baby" on the A-side while "The Hustle" was relegated to the B-side!
Vin

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Thanks Vin.  I will go and re-watch it and see if I can spot the error.

Yes the UK single ran for over four minutes.  I had it bought for me the day after Pans People danced to it and it still here now.  Interesting about the Disco Baby a-side.  I have that on the Van McCoy compilation and really enjoy it.  I would like to get some more of his albums as he made some fab music.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

I think you might be correct Vin.  I have just played the vinyl and although it does sound remarkably like the album/CD version I think it is missing one or two pieces of instrumentation.  The opening is missing one line and towards the end there seems to be an edit so I do think in all honesty it is 3 mins plus as in your own single.  I cannot find my stopwatch to give an accurate timing but I do think it mirrors the US version.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Dancer
Just had the stopwatch out Vin and you are very correct so well done.  All this time I have been thinking the CD version is the same as the 7" vinyl.  Mine runs at the 3mins 25 min.  The intro has been edited and the ending too.  So another one you have solved for me.  In the words of Gary Byrd - You Wear The Crown.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Mikey
1975 is turning out to be a very strong year dance wise and its nice to see this one in all its red knickered glory. Its a great original production too, the minimal breathy vocal just teasing with its "do it!...do the hustle!!" before going into a nice flutey sounding disco number. The routine itself is pretty good i've no complaints on the whole, and they were definatly going for the wow factor on the outfits, i'll give it 8.5/10 DOTD

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Doc
Well thanks Vic and PVL Ken for pressing record at the same time and not recording over it later with horse racing or something similar. I think it's great routine even with the odd error, so I'm going to break the duck and give it 10.
Dotd is a tough one here but Sue's central location just gives her the edge, not that she ever needed one.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

I've only ever seen a few seconds of this routine and I'm glad it has been made available to everyone! Thanks 'anonymous' donor . I like this one very much and although simple it's a really enjoyable one to watch.
Rating: 10/10
DOTD: Dee Dee

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Old Grey Whistler
I am in a state of confusion, which to be fair is not a new experience for me!
Didn't Legs & Co also dance to The Hustle by Van McCoy in 1977? That record seems similar but is a different tune! Perhaps our host could clarify this for me.
Anyway, what I do know is that this makes for a very enjoyable watch and is probably my favourite of the recent additions to our vault.
Even allowing for the odd timing issue, I am going to score it 10 out of 10, as I tend to score from an enjoyment perspective rather than a technical one.
DOTD would be Sue who makes the most of her central position.

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

VintageVideos
Old Grey Whistler wrote
Didn't Legs & Co also dance to The Hustle by Van McCoy in 1977? That record seems similar but is a different tune! Perhaps our host could clarify this for me.
I'd be glad to! Legs & Co. danced to The Shuffle by Van McCoy in 1977. The record sounds a bit similar to The Hustle.
Vin

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Old Grey Whistler
Oh of course, how embarrassing. Had a senior moment there!!

They do sound quite similar!

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

Young Mister Grace
Administrator
What a great routine. yes there are a couple of imperfections, including the torterous slow leg-raising parts. But not enought to spoil it at all. A fine bit of choreography to a very much of-the-period record. Takes me right back. And the outfits are delightful of course.

I have to give it 9 out of 10. And Sue is my DOTD for the twirl.
You've all done vey well!

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

PansLegs
This performance ticks most of the boxes and the choreography goes well with the track. In a way I am always more intrigued to see how Flick interpreted an instrumental track (OK this isn't wholly instrumental) as there's an absence of ideas that might have been obtained from the lyrics. The designated moves work well and as DLT testifies in his intro, the costumes are indeed skimpy although not necessarily the briefest ever. Despite all this going for it there is something lacking that makes it fall short of full marks although that may have been due to the limitations of the record itself. 9 DotD Dee Dee

Re: THE HUSTLE -- 26/06/1975

For this routine in Nineteen Seventy - Five, we have the latter-days of Pan's People. But we allways some great routines in this year. We have our beautiful ladies doing a routine to The Hustle by one Van McCoy. In away we have a simple routine done brilliant to this dance tune. Our ladies are wearing white bikinis tops and white short skirt. That shows off their fabulous midriffs. Also they are wearing red pants that matched their red shoes. The routine starts with our beautiful ladies in a line, rocking forwards and backwards to the music. Then lifting one of their legs into the air, then lunging it to the floor. Then going to a huddle and parting. And doing a standing spin led by our young beautiful Sue who was in the middle of the line. We also get a lot of hand and arm movement, to great effected. So I must score it high, one of my favourite routines.

The Dotd must for go to the spinning Queen for me Sue.

The score 10 out of 10.