Quantcast

THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- [April]

THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- Dance number 35 by Legs & Co
Performed by Van McCoy and reaching No 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 28/04/77 Duration of dance 2.26 mins
Dancers -- Lulu and Sue
The Legs & Co attendance register so far after 35 dances --

Pauline 33                      Sue 33
Rosie 33                         Gill 30
Lulu 33                          Patti 29
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x25br6o_legs-co-the-shuffle-version-1-totp-tx-28-04-1977-02-06-1977_creation

A double delight here for this fan as my two favourites partake in this entertaining dance. I always liked to think that Lulu was in some way Sues protege, especially in routines like this, but its patently obvious that almost a year into Lulus TOTPs dancing stint she can hold her own with the best of them. Not quite sure what type of outfits they are kitted out in, look a bit Middle Eastern to me, but the clothing is very cute.
   One of the things that does bug me a lot about this routine is how the framework casts a shadow over Lulus face all through the performance. Surely this would and should have been noticed in rehearsals and been rectified. Or is this me being over fussy ?
   The second of Van Macs two mellow dance instrumental hits, think i prefer this to The Hustle, then being a Legs fan i would say that. On to my rating, well i promised not to dish out 10s at a whim and i will desist on this occasion, though a score of 9.5 out of 10 is almost there.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

PattiForPM
Lovely harmonic Dance from Sue and Lulu and they don't put a foot wrong and look great in SueFan's famous "Harem Trousers" as well.  I particularly like the sections where they take turns with one dancer standing back posing while the other partner dances in the spotlight.  There's just nothing not to like here for me except absent friends  8/10.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

bucksby
I love the song and it looks like Sue and Lulu are having fun, not keen on the outfits though. 8 out of 10 for me.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

So we come to the third & final Legs & Co. dance routine for the particular TOTPs episode that they were featured on, this routine, the two-handed Shuffle, featured my two favourite dancers ever, Lulu & Sue, & that alone mwan't for me that this was going to be good, & so it came to pass, the dancing of the two girls was absolutely superb, almost perfectly syncronised, with Lulu, possibly using a more experienced Sue as a cue to making the correct movements, costumes generally matching, except that whilest Lulu wore blue, Sue wore mauve instead, but the colour schemes complimented each other well enough. Every so often the cameras would pan away from the stage and it looked that Lulu & Sue were performing inside a gigantic paper-weight.

For this particular episode of TOTPs, they certainly saved the best for last!

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Yes indeed those HT on the girls are the business in this overall dance of delight.  Top marks from me.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Suefan
As I've scored the other two dances from this week then can I confirm that top marks mean top marks with this little gem so this gets a 10 from me.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Andeebee
9.8 - by far one of the sexiest Sue has looked for me....heavenly

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Old Bill
Love this! it's like I have Lulu's undivided attention for 2 1/2 minutes! She just can't take her eyes off me! hehe. Her hair is perfect here too.
The two of them work together so well.

But I agree with Ryan - that shadow across Lulu's face is terrible. I wonder if in rehersals they were more in the centre of the hoops and drifted over to their left a bit for the real thing? Whatever the reason Lulu's lovely lovely boat should never be in a shadow! At least her beaming smile countered it a bit. And does Lulu show a little more than I'm sure she intended towards the end? Cripes - I need a sit down!

And I love this song - it'll always be the Sport of Four tune for me.

Not sure about the trousers though... but no matter. A 9/10.
Jeremiah 31:13

Hands off those HT's !!

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Old Bill
Ok... I do admit the HTs look better here than in the 6-girl version for some reason - are they the same trousers? I'll have to go back for another look... :-)

But anyways, when Lulu's smile is in vision (and not in shadow) trousers are the last thing on my mind!
Jeremiah 31:13
Stu

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Stu
Love this one (I seem to be saying that a lot tonight... well we're fans for a reason). Flick has worked the dance so well to the song it's hard to tell whether the song was made for the dance or the other way round. I especially love the 'over to you' hand offs in the routine... delightful. I was going to give it 9 and a half but Lulu's infectious cheeky smiles bumps it up... full marks!

10/10

Stuey
Stu

Stuey
Stu

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Stu
Sorry for the duplicate posting, my internet connection is playing up tonight, I think it doesn't like the cold weather. :-)

Stuey

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

VintageVideos
Dunno why I haven't rated this one yet, though I must have watched it a million times! This is a firm favourite of mine, the tune is great and the dance is even better. Lulu & Sue - a dream come true! 9.5 /10!
Vin

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Doc
A 9 for this!

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Who's That Hurll
'The Shuffle' might be a mellower tune than 'The Hustle'. but there's nothing light and frothy about this performance.
I have to say the camerawork and lighting are superb on this routine. The darkness highlights the dome of coloured lights and even gives us picture inserts for your choice of viewing.I love the 'breakdown', where it's a case of 'Sue Says' rather than 'Simon Says' and Lulu is only too happy to copy her dance moves.The whole thing just leaves you begging for more.
Lulu may be in the shadows at times, but nothing can detract me from giving top marks here.

My overall favourite of 1977.     10/10.

WTH

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Old Grey Whistler
The third and final routine  of the show sees the strong combination of Lulu and Sue in costumes that have a Turkish feel to them, and they certainly give us some Turkish delight! As you would expect from these two, they scarcely put a foot wrong. As has already been mentioned, the shadows cause a minor irritation but it doesn't detract from the performance. This routine works well with just the two of them and gets 8.5 out of 10.

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

PaulF
This one must have slipped through my net. One of my favourite routines with two of my favourite girls, I have watched this loads of times and it never fails to cheer me up, so I must give it a 10/10.
Paul

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Colm
Sue and Lulu dance in such perfect harmony here. And what a way to mark the completion of Lulu's first year as a TOTP dancer.

I for one am delighted this got a reprise with all the troupe...

Score: 9.5

Re: THE SHUFFLE (2 dancers) -- 1977

Lookmacinanger
Always enjoyed these diversions from the normal multiples on show so when six became two and look at what we get a truly special routine. 10/10

(Just a quick note to admin I think the link at the top of the page is incorrect and takes you instead to Hotel California, which is a lovely place)