THE SMURF SONG -- [June]

THE SMURF SONG  Dance/performance number 107 by Legs & Co
Performed by   Father Abraham & The Smurfs and reaching number 3 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date  15/06/78  Duration of song/dance --  2.25 mins
Dancers--Lulu (beard), Pauline (red trousers), Rosie (Flute), Sue (White Glasses)

Pauline 102     Gill 97
Rosie 99         Lulu 96
Sue 98           Patti 96
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2356mg_legs-co-the-smurf-song-totp-tx-15-06-1978-13-07-1978_creation

  Well what was Flick to do after being presented with this song ? I would imagine it was heads in hands time when she told the 4 available dancers what they would be doing on the next TOTPs. To be fair the finished product was pretty good with each girl playing her character to the full. Once again we see Rosie being given a musical instrument to play, remember she did also in Egyptian Reggae. Lulu gets lumbered with the beard, at least she could hide behind the whiskers. Pauline gets to sing out of key and Sue seems to be the head smurf or it just looks that way.
  Not sure whats going on with the kids eating ice creams, although they seem to be having a nice time, it leaves me a little uncomfortable in a way. Maybe its Jimmy & Father A's intro that gives me the creeps.
   Cant say i play this one to often but its made a pleasant interlude watching it again for the comments section but now i will file it away with the watch later, much later routines. Again we wont be seeing this on BBC4.

Rating, well its only a bit of fun, though i gather the dancers hated it, so im going to give it, err, `7.75 out of 10`

DOTD is deactivated for this routine. The reason for this is because only 4 dancers took part, a minimum of 5 dancers must perform for Dotd to be on offer.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

PattiforPM
The ladies do as well as they can with this dreadful dirge amd I confess I now think of Sue's funny tale about Rosie being identified as a little more shapely than the average Smurf whenever I see this now.  Although it's a little bit of fun and the performances are fine I really can't abide the Smurfs either so I have to mark this 4/10 but realise it's because of my own bias and there's nothing any of these ladies or their choreographer could have done to improve it.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Thank goodness about dancer of the day, because re-watching this routine just now, I really hadn't the foggiest idea who was playing each of the smurfs, for all of them, it could've been any member of Legs & Co., agreed though, this was just a bit of fun, looking like a kind of end of term sort of routine, before the dancers take a well-earned break, whether that was the case or not, I can't really say.
This routine does make one laugh, what with the silly antics of our blue friends, & I'd forgotten that they were much smaller than us humans.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

VintageVideos
You just have to love the Smurfs. I mean, seriously, who doesn't? I dig those Smurfs. All of them. They're so funny. They make me smile. And those lyrics. One of a kind. "Where are you all coming from? From Smurfland where we belong." Poetry. I'm impressed with awe.
And they dance. And sing. One even plays a flute! And this wonderful melody. I will hum it for the rest of my life. Why wasn't this a No. 1?
"Do you do things that we don't dare? We are real Smurfs so we don't care." I just hope Father Abraham will not be arrested.

8 / 10

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Andeebee
10/10 for me

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Savile introduces him as Father Adrian or Papa Smurf....

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Oh no, not another Savile mispronunciation. Haven't we been here before ?

Father Abraham, Father Adrian.

One for the lads, one for the dads !

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

This is a good performance to what is, lets be honest, some pretty dire material.  As ever the ladies throw themselves into their roles and for that this deserves a half decent score but I'm struggling to get above 6.5.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Like "Ma Nah Ma Nah", Flick and the Legs make the best of a potentially bad situation. I'd like to know how Patti and Gill got byes out of this...

HONORARY dancer of the day (and a shame it doesn't count) is Pauline, who is definitely having the most fun and is impressive in smurfing out of tune.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Yes Colm, i agree Pauline may have missed out on a few votes here and she would have got mine. But i feel its only fair to restrict DOTD to 5 dancers or more.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Old Bill
I love this one! And believe me doing the name-labelling thing I watched it enough blimmin times.

It's silly and it's fun, as is the song. Nothing special about the dancing itself, but that's not really important here I don't think. We're seeing Flick & the girls as more entertainers than straight dancers, wanting to put a smile on our faces rather than dazzle us with fancy moves or appeal to the Dads in skimpy outfits - both of which we know they're capable of, and both of which of course we appreciate!

I also like the technical side of it, with CSOs and both girls & crowd being filmed from in front and from behind, and then all edited together. Good one Flick!

10/10.

I think the ice-creams are because the kids are supposed to be at the sea-side watching the smurfs in a Punch & Judy style show. Hence the "kiss me quick" style hat. Can anyone figure out what it says on it? "Only 'ear for the beer?"

And JS definitely says Father Adrian. Twerp.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Those kids are getting a bit old for Punch and Judy aren't they? Which gives this a slightly creepy feel of viewing exploited midgets in a Victorian style freak show. That I should feel that way is, however, evidence this is convincingly done. Not much to say about the performance though really. The girls just get on with it like the professionals they are.

Not one I like a lot but it's a good effort in the circumstances. 7.5/10.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Colm if you read this, can you leave a score rating for The Smurf Song, the poor thing only gleaned 8 sets of marks. Thanks.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

bucksby
yes dire record/song but to be honest the girls & Flick have come up with a decent routine., I think Patti & Gill will be thankful they were absent but as we are marking the routine and not the song I will award a 7 because after all it is a bit of fun.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Duly noted, Ryan... 7.5

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

A good point you make regarding the technical presentation of the dance OB.  Overwhelmed by the sheer awfulness of the material I missed that but your quite right, the Punch & Judy style viewing is a nice innovation.
If permitted Ryan might I, therefore, increase my mark from 6.5 to 7.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Andeebee
pushing the boat out SF, go the whole hog and mark it a 10

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

AC/PD
Considering the quality of the 'song' they're given, I'd have thought Legs & Co. were faced with an uphill-challenge from the very start.
However, by taking the literal approach and creating an actual Smurf routine, Flick and the ladies have surprisingly come up trumps. Seeing as they're wearing outsized shoes, any proper dance number was never going to be a serious one, but one thing they certainly accomplish is creating an entertaining one.
Additionally, the Smurf 'look' is as faithful as could be humanly possible, complete with prosthetic nose appendages and outsized hands, and I can see this not looking out of place on either Play Away or even, at a push, Seaside Special.
Am I allowed to say that up until now, I'd never have thought tight blue roll-necks could look so good?
Nice, brief rendition of the Twist by Sue as well as Pauline singing from the heart.
I thought I'd really dislike this but because it succeeds in entertaining, I'll give it 7/10.

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Old Bill
Just noticed the Pickles! hahhaa! :)
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: THE SMURF SONG -- 1978

Lookmacinanger
Didn’t we used to get a smurf from the petrol station when we saved up enough coupons? Think my trips back to my childhood memories are going off track again. Legs and Co step up to the plate again when required to do something different and although we know they are all lovely smurfettes they still manage to play their characters convincingly. An honourable mention to the production team for their detail with the audience even eating their ice cream cones while watching!  8/10

Flute smurf would have been my Dotd
123