Quantcast

THE WANDERER

  The Wanderer is a song by Ernie Maresca and was originally a hit for Dion (DiMucci) in 1961-62.  It followed the #1 hit Runaround Sue (by the same composer) and was originally the B-side of The Majestic until wise DJs realized that flipping the vinyl worked way better.  Dion described it as a sad song which represented Black Music filtered through the Italian Neighborhood but I’m not sure how good he was at analysis.  Dion himself grew up in the Bronx and became a Doo Wop hitster in the late 1950s and turned down a seat on the fateful Buddy Holly Airplane because of the fare. He went through addiction and a number of Religious spells and may well now be Catholic.  In any case he is still making music and is much respected in his chosen field by such luminaries as Bruce Springsteen, Paul Simon and  Bob Dylan.  He wrote a partly Autobiographical book in 2011 called “The Wanderer Talks Truth” so he clearly identifies with this fine song.  Oh and the best lines in the song without a doubt:

       “And when she asks me, which one I love the best
        I tear open my shirt, I got Rosie on my chest”

                     THE WANDERER    -   Dion                                   June 10th 1976

                                             DANCER:      Patti

            LINK: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26an4n_ruby-flipper-the-wanderer-totp-tx-10-06-1976_creation

    This Dance is a Patti solo and allows her to show her fun side as well as pout to her heart’s content and I must admit to taking an unnecessarily long time over the screencaps.  Despite a very simple set, a non-skimpy outfit and relatively few steps I think it is great to watch and the 3-split screen works well for me too.  I am going for 8.5/10 here and I must just mention Tidybeard’s outtro, which we have discussed before.  Why he calls Patti “Albert” is unknown but he may be referring to Albert Hammond, who co-wrote “To All the Girls I’ve Loved Before” hence my Willie Nelson clue (sorry).  I wonder if the impertinent Edmonds particularly liked teasing Patti?  Anyway you’re all entitled to your own opinions of course….

Re: THE WANDERER

This is always been one of my favourite solos. Its just one of those `feel good` performances that brings a smile to me. Love the funny trousers, like the screen broken into segments, dig the 50s style song. But this does have all the hallmarks of a short notice filler dance to me, whereas the duet on the same show was the main feature with a lot of thought put into it. I do have no ideas though what all the hand movements in this are supposed to represent, im guessing its just something to fill up one of the screen segments.

Anyway the performance gets the thumbs up from me. `9 out of 10`

Re: THE WANDERER

Suefan
Patti does a good enough job with what strikes me as a hastily put together solo, although she seems to have forgotten to remove her bicycle clips!  The excessive use of the split screen, a gimmick which rarely does anything to increase my enjoyment, coupled with a dreadful rendition of the mediocre song don't help either so I rate this as only a 4.

Re: THE WANDERER

Patti's Elvis suit looks very rock 'n' roll, & that's just as well, with type of music track that's she's dancing to here, but where's all of the jewels gone that should be adorning Patti's attire, but such things needn't matter when we have a great display by Patti, enhanced somewhat, by the split screens, which would later be applied with Legs & Co.'s Sound & Vision dance routine, & as ever, Patti's pouting's great.

Re: THE WANDERER

PaulF
100% camera time for Patti and she doesn't let us down. Pouts a plenty and looks great. Routine not too complicated but Patti raises it to a 9/10.

Paul

Re: THE WANDERER

Andeebee
Totally Patti in her Elvis Vegas suit - 8/10, but not the best Patti solo in my opinion, top marks is reserved for the other one

Re: THE WANDERER

Colm
Just how many kisses does Patti blow us lucky people during this routine?!

A more interesting routine than it appears to be at first viewing. Well done to Flick and Patti for devising this little treat.

Score: 8.5

Re: THE WANDERER

PattiForPM
Thanks for the Comments chaps and I am glad this solo is being given its due attention.  As for the blown kisses Colm please remember that the vast majority are for me as far as I can tell but I suppose you lot can have one or two.  It'll be interesting to see where this settles compared to other RF solos, although there is only one other full length solo and I think it may triumph over this one but we'll see after more votes have been cast.

Re: THE WANDERER

Old Grey Whistler
I think this is a really good solo performance from Patti, and I actually quite like the split screen effect which gives an artistic feel to it.  Not quite sure why Patti appears to be thumbing for a lift though. Were Ruby Flipper so poorly paid that they had to hitchhike home?
I will give this 8.5 out of 10.

Re: THE WANDERER

VintageVideos
I can clearly remember watching this one for the very first time a few years ago on "Eins Festival". I had seen several Pan's People & Ruby Flipper routines before, but I had no idea that this was "Patti". I was rather disappointed about this dance, I thought it was quite silly and I didn't like the split screens at all, to me it seemed as if the camera man was just playing around with his new special effect filter.
Fast forward a few years, and not only my knowledge about the dancers has increased but also my love for Patti has grown (as can be seen on the DotD votings where I am one of her biggest supporters). But I still don't like the special effects here, and I still think that the finger plays do look a bit goofy.
The song is ok, I quite liked it at the time, and the routine is pretty good when Patti is actually dancing. Unfortunately, there are too many interruptions, and even her pouting can't quite make up for that. Thus my rating is a balanced

6.5 / 10

Re: THE WANDERER

PattiForPM
This one seems to bring out some differing opinions, especially regarding the split screen effect which often divides us too.  OGW I don't think the Dancers were all that well rewarded but hitchhiking in London was probably a bit dodgy even back then, especially if you look as good as Patti does.  Oh and yes Vin I have noticed that you're a staunch Patti supporter now as befits a man of taste.  Anyway this Wanderer would greatly appreciate a few more followers I think...

Re: THE WANDERER

PattiForPM
I'm still awaiting score #10 to allow this fine young Dancer and her solo access to the league table

Re: THE WANDERER

Lookmacinanger
Absolute magic from Patti as our Wanderer, this track is made for her and she pulls off a show stopper IMHO. Is she still looking for that lift? 10/10

Re: THE WANDERER

Thanks Mac.  This Wanderer has found a home.  Of course more comments would be highly appreciated friends

Re: THE WANDERER

Gorgeous Daze
It was at about this point in the 76 repeats that I became aware I was taking increasing notice of the dancers, and I was guessing who was whom. I seem to remember feeling that Patti was either Patti or Lulu! And on this show our most expressive dancer got an opportunity to showcase her playful side, and I think it was her first dent of a significant impression on me.

Patti looks great  (are those the chic end of 'happy as a clown' trousers?)  and dances great as she thumbs a lift to get from town to town.  The other hand movements are a puzzle though and with the facial close ups it's as if the dance has been spliced with rehearsal footage of Patti playing an invisible arcade game. I find it a bit of an uneasy fit and a little too goofy. Getting a proper look at those eyes and the glossy pout we will come to know so well can't be bad though.

Re: THE WANDERER

Albert, huh?, ah yes Noel feels compelled to make a high brow gag before/after nearly every performance, well i suppose it beats the "that was... here is..." approach a lot of hosts use. Anyway enough about him as we have Patti a-wanderin to this classic (of sorts). I'm "wanderin" if with solo routines the dancers were allowed to put more of their own input into the moves of course with Flicks guidance. Even if not doing a solo in front of millions has to be a bit daunting, so Patti great effort here.

The presentation with the split screen is a bit odd, i guess its to highlight the hitchhiking theme, i.e thumbing a lift, smiling and er pouting?? well ok maybe not, its art thats what it is, art.

Patti certainly puts a good deal of effort in here, even if nothing looks particularly taxing, somehow creating a sort of 50s/disco hybrid. A slight negative is with the cut scenes it does lose fluidity with it being stop/start.

7.5/10

Re: THE WANDERER

JEZ
This is no reflection on the lovely patti ,but the choreography on this one is very limited ,using mostly only the same simple arm movements etc ,the song is a good one ,but performance of dance I can rate no more than a 5

Re: THE WANDERER

bucksby
I love Patti in this although I do think all the girls could have been involved vsomehow, not sure if it works as a solo routine therefore a 7

Re: THE WANDERER

PattiForPM
Thanks for your contributions chaps.  The Wanderer's marks have dropped off a little it seems.  I can see why it's popular with some but not others I suppose.  I certainly have some wanderlust myself but that's no secret!  Are there any more comments lads or lasses?

Re: THE WANDERER

Old Bill
Wow... I really thought that this one would sweeping the board with a raft of tens. Good grief - what's wrong with you people!?? Is Noel's tie affecting the scores I wonder...?

Patti is absolutely fantastic here. 100% just her, sometimes 300% just her too! And with no other set or props to distract it's entirely down to Patti to keep us entertained, and boy does it work. Fun and mischievous too.
Patti here is not only a dancer but a model too. Is there any other Flick dance that focuses on a face as much as here.
And considering she's totally covered up from top to toe in luxuriant satin - what a sexy dance it is.

A winking, kiss-blowing, thumbs-up of a 100/10 for Patti. Oops did an extra zero creep in there??!
Jeremiah 31:13