THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 15/04/1976

"Theme From Mahogany" (Do You Know Where You're Going To)
Performed by Diana Ross and reaching number 5 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 15/04/1976 Duration of dance - 2.25 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BU34Cghtc7s

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

How can i add to that. Other than to say ...............

DOTD--`Sue`

Rating `10 out of 10`

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

JEZ
Very good song and routine but the last few months of pp days never felt quite the same to me as they felt during 73 74 and early 75 and i must admitt i still feel the same , anyway an 8 .5 for me

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Unique introduction for the prose-impaired Vin and it really does cover all the bases so well done sir.  The ladies look stunning and this is possibly the best Dance ever for close-up shots of the Dancers and their white backless numbers are wondrous too.  Despite this and the tremendous performance by Sue, which earns another unhesitating DotD from me too, this is not my favourite Dance and I think it comes down to one or two factors which keep it beneath the top earners for me.  First the strolling down the cement blocks section is only so-so for me and then (and I know this is me wading into potentially deep turbulent water) there's that eerie blue light which I find rather odd and mildly unflattering.  I also am not that keen on keeping the Dancers solo all the time and would have liked more "together time."  I know I'm nitpicking a bit and it is a lovely spectacle overall and I'd happily put a close up of all four Dancers from this performance on my mantelpiece but all this is to explain why I'm only awarding 8.5/10

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

A curious dance routine, full of winters scenes, yet it was first broadcast in mid-summer, & not even many Southern Hemisphere areas, see these kind of scenes, during their winters.
Aside from that suspension of reality, we have some of the most elegantly dressed dancers ever seen on TOTPs, that's my humble opinion of course, before anybody attempts to challenge me.
I'm imagining that these are scenes of a heavenly winter shall we say.

9/10

DotD:-

Mary

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

PaulF
Beautiful dance routine with some great camera work 9/10

DOTD The absolutely stunning Sue.
Paul

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Andeebee
no write up from me, seriously doesn't need one, just the scores.

10/10

DOTD: the breath taking Sue (need i say anymore)

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

PansLegs
[compact critique] With only a few dances left to go for Pan's People, this is pure class and beauty. Effective choreography with a maze like set design create an extremely graceful performance. Blue & white colour scheme equals cool and who is the coolest?... Sue of course (DotD) 10/10

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Doubleday
Like Jez, the last few routines from Pan's, however good, don't quite do it for me, tho' I think this is more regret at knowing they were winding down than because the routines weren't good*. This wistful routine certainly matches the song: Do you know where you're going to / Do you like the things that life is showing you / Where are you going to / Do you know and is very gracefully executed. Known to all through Ryan's avatar, of course. Mary performs very well and this song suits her, but favourite dancer has to be Sue. 8/10

* and I except the last of all; the brilliant Silver Star

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Graceful and gorgeous, even if those scenery blocks are a bit of a hindrance, so 9 for the routine with the serene Sue my Dotd.

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

SuPaLu
Graceful,beautiful and a little sad.9/10
DotD:Sue

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Mikey
Simply wonderful, an easy 10/10
Sue for DOTD all the way, but all credit to Mary who is also excellent her best routine i feel.

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Gorgeous Daze
The chilly ambience makes this an especially good seasonal selection. The wintry tree is perfect for the wistful song, the rest of the set is equally suited to the emergence of James T Kirk, phaser at the ready. He's been taken in enough by melancholy beauties. But strange though it is it works well as a modern-art installation for aimlessly wandering life's featureless blocks, offset with beautiful dancing. The series of solos format works movingly to create a sad and lonely feel. Four pitch-perfect performances, Mary's would be outstanding on most other days. But DOTD must go to the sublime Sue.

Classy. Spellbinding. 10/10

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Old Grey Whistler
A nice song. The lyrics could of applied to 'Pans' themselves as they approached the end of their tenure.  The dancers are looking demure as they spin between some strangely shaped blocks, which look a little like one of those objects that they used to try and assemble on 'The Krypton Factor'. I agree with P4PM that maybe there could have been a group scene included amongst the solo's. The blue lighting effect seems to add to the tranquillity.
I will give this 8.5 out of 10 and Sue just eclipses Mary to get DOTD.

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

katy
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Doc
Great close ups and a wonderfully sad routine. It would have made a good finale for the girls. 10/10.
Dotd: Mary and Sue are stand outs here, the slightly longer solo and final scene just edges it for Sue, although who could say no to Mary in that first scene.

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

mojo2007
A good late performance to a rather gloomy number , outfits and dancing pulls it up to 9, and a last chance to make Mary DOTD

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

Likes:
Dancers don't appear together at all-sort of all solos which I think is unique for a pans routine
Cherry actually smiles at the 1 minute mark
Fits the track
Sue smouldering
Aerial shots of sue and Mary spinning
Camera work

Likes less

Apart from cherry noted above smiling was banned its seems - how glum and serious is Ruth especially and Mary though stunning  looks on the point of crying. In the blue peter program flick yells at them 'smile'. i don't like them doing their best sad faces..yesterday is bad for this too.
The icy white blocks
The dead tree
The fabric dangling from the ceiling
cherry is dotd for warming things up and drawing me in an 8 from me Vin
How sad the answers to those questions can be..
Ps the link didn't work watched the blog version

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

VintageVideos
Thanks a lot for catching up on the PPCS. I just tested the link and it worked for me!

Re: THEME FROM MAHOGANY -- 1976

BeautifulBabs
My pleasure Vin better late than never I suppose and good to watch these again and notice things I hadn't seen before. I still get the dreaded video not available result though on the link and all  3 YouTube results for this so I'm guessing it's a regional or browser thing. But if it ain't broke for you there's nothing to fix.