THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

Then Came You
Performed by Dionne Warwicke & The Detroit Spinners and reaching number 29 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 07/11/1974 Duration of dance - 2.29 mins
Dancers: Babs, Cherry, Dee Dee, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.oneforthedads.org.uk/?p=1903

Marie Dionne Warrick, better known as Dionne Warwick, is an American singer, actress and TV-show host who became famous with her interpretations of songs written by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. She is second only to Aretha Franklin as the most-charted female vocalist of all time. In the UK though, her success has been limited, with just two Top 10 singles during the 60's and 70's ("Walk On By", "Do You Know The Way To San Jose"). Her biggest UK hit was the Bee Gees penned "Heartbreaker" which made it to No. 2 in 1982.

In 1971 Warwick was advised by astrologer Linda Goodman to add a small "e" to her last name for good luck. The extra small "e" should add a vibration needed to balance her last name and bring her even more good fortune in her marriage and her professional life. Unfortunately, Goodman proved to be mistaken about this. The extra "e," according to Dionne, "was the worst thing I could have done in retrospect, and in 1975 I finally got rid of that damn 'e' and became 'Dionne Warwick' again."

Her only sizeable hit single during her time as "Dionne Warwicke" came in 1974 when she collaborated with the popular US vocal quintet "The Spinners" (known in the UK as "The Detroit Spinners"). The Thom Bell produced "Then Came You" proved to be each act's first chart-topping pop hit in the US. The single is also famous for its drop from No. 1 to No. 15 on the Billboard Hot 100 - the biggest drop a record ever made from No. 1. In the UK, the 45 went no higher than No. 29 in a six week run.

Pan's People performed their routine to "Then Came You" in the week when the record entered the UK Top 30. Unfortunately, the original TOTP show fell victim to the BBC's wiping policy. But back in 2009, 30 minutes were recovered from a home recording (UMatic) made by Dick Emery. One of the recovered performances was "Then Came You", which finally found its way onto the blog in May 2015.

Once you come to terms with the fact that the picture quality is somewhat inferior to the original BBC recordings, you will hopefully realize that this is actually a well executed routine, making good use of the props. It features a lot of the ingredients that I like about Pan's People - the synchronous moves, lots of small gestures without being too literal, a number of nice close-ups, several changes in formation and even blown kisses at the end. The costumes could have been a bit richer in contrast to the backdrop but that's a minor quibble. One scene I especially like is when they vanish behind the curtains only to appear again lined up one after another (around 2:15 mins).

This is a routine that I watch quite regularly, and even though it's not in max territory for me, I will happily award

9 / 10

DotD: Cherry

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

PansLegs
I must admit to not being particularly keen on Dionne Warwick... usually being more impressed by the writing and production skills displayed in her singles. The Detroit Spinners input to this release has certainly improved things and the result is boosted tenfold in the presence of this visual.

This is a little gem of a routine, with everyone looking oh so feminine in the rather snazzy outfits and hair that looks like they could have walked out of a shampoo commercial - fabulous. The routine itself is full of great touches with wonderful use of the unusual slitted cloth entrances. I imagine there was some quick movements required behind the curtains to get ready for the emerging line of dancers in places. There's some sexy moves and Flick's usual trademark humour thrown in - the grappling hands accompanying "the urge to feel you" is priceless!

Thank you Mr Emery for saving this one which is well worth a handsome 9/10. DotD is difficult as everyone is looking very beautiful and working as a tight team, but Dee Dee just wins it for me.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

This is a smashing dance routine and whenever Flick makes big use of the stage as set, as she does here (and as she did in "I Think Of You") we are onto a winner.  The girls split costumes twin the split backdrop nicely and needless to say this is one of my favourites from 1974.  Once they all disappear through the curtains for the second to last time before appearing as a line through the same portal I can envision Babs, and to a slightly lesser degree Dee Dee, putting a spurt on behind the scene to be in position as they emerge which only adds to my enjoyment.
Save from joining in yourself it doesn't get much better in terms of involving choreography so this is a definite 10.
 All the ladies are lovely with demure and sexy Sue my DOTD.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

There's an unusual looking studio set here, we didn't often see navy blue decor, & it blends in greatly with Pan's People's costumes.
But what I really like, is how the stage is divided into lanes, & each dancer's assigned her own lane, (methinks), & she rarely strays from it, meaning we don't see much in the way of sideways movement, but at least there's heaps of twirling, & friendly hand gestures, & most importantly, this is one of those performances where everybody gets equal camera close-up shots.

9/10

DotD:-

DeeDee

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

A lovely dance preformed by my favourite Pans era ladies and they look great in these slit dresses with the slinky rich dark toppings and long glovelets to match.  I do like the seductive moves in this one and the way in which it is tempered by the ladies clearly enjoying themselves and Cherry in particular mouthing the lyrics.  The song really does seem to play to their strengths but Flick clearly took full advantage of this and I like everything about this one so there's no way I can deny this a 10/10 and Cherry just pips Sue and Ruth for DotD in my book

BTW Vin I'm rather surprised that Dionne beat Diana Ross in the US Charts but I guess the latter had many hits with the Supremes so that probably accounts for the league positions

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

Mikey
Is anyone else having a problem playing this clip?

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

VintageVideos
Yes I'm getting an error message (it worked fine on Sunday!).

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

Cant say im to keen on the song but the routine is okay, but nothing special. I always look out for Ruth bumping into the door with her right arm towards the end of the routine.

DOTD - `Sue`, i really like her 1974 look.

Rating. `8 out of 10`

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

`Then Came You` is now fixed. The link in Vin's intro post should now work okay.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

Mikey
Well it looks like they all enjoyed this one, im not sure ive seen such a 'singalong' mood before but it is nice to see. The song really is quite average though, but thanks to PP and their cabaret style curtain set, this performance is one i shall revisit often. The director clearly loves getting those starry lights in shot for added effect at every opportunity, but the dancing here it is really good, with the curtain disappearing and reappearing adding a nice element to make it distinctive, 9/10 DOTD Ruth.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

Gorgeous Daze
The curtained booths give this routine something of a cabaret feel and some individual identity, at least. The dancing is pleasant, in a familiar style for a romantic soul record. Music and routine go together like hand in elegant glove and that's the problem from my perspective: it's all too conservative. The music's boring to me and frankly these classic synchronous Pan's moves and gestures aren't always absorbing either, not being my thing. Occasionally dances of this kind have that certain something, but I find this a run of the mill exhibit. I do like those flirty little back-kicks though.

DOTD Cherry.   5/10

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

The ladies come from behind long curtains, in split dresses. Showing off them great legs. A nice synchronized routine by our ladies. To not a bad song by D. Warwicke and Detroit Spinners. Nice finish to the routine with the ladies blowing kisses to the camera.

The Dotd must go to the lovely young Sue.

The score will be 8 out of 10.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

Old Grey Whistler
I was never a fan of Dick Emery but he has now gone up a little in my estimation.  It is really good that this routine has found its way into our archive. I have to say though that I don't really like the song much and I also don't like the lighting effects which I find a little intrusive. The dancing on the other hand is very nice, and I do like the blowing of kisses at the end. It's just a shame that the production guy came into shot at about 1:45.
It's a good dance but not quite in classic territory so I will score it 8 out of 10.
DOTD is Sue.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 1974

mojo2007
I am going to try and be systematic and work down the list, as somebody who would save every moment of Pans this is good to see . I do not feel thrilled by this but the dresses are fine. Perhaps 6 and no dancer catches my eye enough to award DOTD.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

nurse pass me the oxygen, those pans ladies are at it again......I'm left breathless..

Scores: 10/10

DOTD: oh my doesn't Sue look super in her early days

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

Doc
Good work by Dick Emery to, probably unknowingly, save this. Whenever I see this it reminds me of a couple of well known comedians from the era.

Not bad at all 8/10.
Dotd: Cherry

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

katy
If I had to choose out of all the Pans People routines and indeed Legs and Co what costumes I like the most the dresses that Pans People are wearing in this routine would be in my top 5 at least. They are gorgeous. I love them. I really like how the dresses are cut around the neck. They are are very classic and the long gloves make them perfect.
I wonder who designed them. I wonder if Pans People or Legs and Co ever got to keep any of the things they wore.
Dionne Warwick and The Detroit Spinners Then Came You. Its not a great song in my humble opinion its certainly not a 70s soul classic but it’s a nice enough song.
There are aspects of this dance I really like. It’s quite a literal dance routine with lots of arm movements that go with the words.
I really like the way the dresses go with the backdrop and floor of the stage I think aesthetically it looks really good and it works.
So no really high tech or fast dancing in this one but the routine is quote complicated if you watch Pans People just make it look easy that’s part of being a very good dancer and professional dancer.
My score for this routine is 7/10 and dancer of the day would be Dee Dee.

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

Dancer
Katy - yes Pans People did keep some or all of their outfits as stated in Andi's daughter's status and if you remember Dee Dee wore her Barry White outfit from You're the first on the Donny Osmond show in the noughties.

I absolutely loved this song and am a huge fan of both Dionne Warwick and Detroit Spinners.  It was such a shame it never went higher than No.29 as it was so catchy.  It certainly had a lot of airplay on Radio 1 especially from Tony Blackburn.  Fantastic piece from Vin regarding the Billboard drop.  That was quite a dip there.

The routine was just beautiful.  I loved the outfits and the props and it is one I love to watch again and again.  I will award this dance ten out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Dee Dee because I loved her (even though she has never responded to my email).

Re: THEN CAME YOU -- 07/11/1974

I was quite surprised that the quality of the video was very tinted, but luckily I had a better version which did make all the difference in viewing. This is a routine that I like very much as all of the ladies give it their best, though I did see a sync issue with Babs, but she quickly caught up. I like some of the close-ups of the ladies, especially the one of Cherry at the end.
Another interesting story about how this was recovered. I have always said that UMatic tape and Betamax are the best.

Rating: 8/10
DOTD: Cherry
Devoted to Pan's People & Legs & Co.