THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)
Performed by Carpenters and reaching number 22 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 08/04/1976 Duration of dance - 2.18 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
https://youtu.be/OSwCmT2jjnc

After about 5 years of hits, the Carpenters' series of successes came to an end in late 1975 when "Solitaire" missed the Top 30. They would return to the Top 10 just once more in 1977 with their ode to extra-terrestrial life forms, but none of their singles during 1976 made a significant impact on the UK charts. While a cover of an old Herman's Hermits record called "There's A Kind Of Hush (All Over The World)" at least achieved a respectable No. 12 position in the US, Carpenters had to settle for a lowly No. 22 in Britain. It seemed that their soft MOR style had grown out of fashion.

"There's A Kind Of Hush" (without the addition in brackets) had first been introduced ten years earlier in 1966 by The New Vaudeville Band on their "Winchester Cathedral" album. Next up was a single release by Gary and the Hornets which went largely unnoticed. Herman's Hermits version was thrown on the market in February 1967, reaching the Top 10 in both the US and the UK.

When Carpenters remade the song for their 1976 album "A Kind Of Hush", they added the "(All Over The World)" bit to the title and released it as the album's lead single. Richard Carpenter later regretted the decision to record TAKOH. One of the reasons cited was, "The original was, and is, perfectly fine". No objections, Richard!

Pan's People danced to "There's A Kind Of Hush" when the record climbed from No. 28 to No. 24. It was the final incarnation of the troupe after Lee had left ship a week before. The performance is in a markedly upbeat style and obviously designed to perfectly match the Carpenters' squeaky clean image. I have to say, those four fairies of love look very nice indeed. Nevertheless, I can't help noticing a certain sadness in Mary's eyes (which she tries to hide of course). The dancing is limited by the podiums so we cannot expect anything spectacular there.

I've always felt I should like this performance more than I actually do. I don't know why but even though the music is nice, the costumes are nice and the dancing is nice, I'm never thrilled when I watch this dance. In this regard it's just like a typical Carpenters song - you hear it, you sing along, and then you forget about it. Nothing more or less than good entertainment. Which may not be such a bad thing after all.

7.5 / 10

DotD: happy Sue

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 1976

PattiforPM
This is an odd one.  The song is certainly blandsville and I wonder if this one might have been a bit boring to choreograph.  Those dresses seem to have a life of their own and the ladies almost look as if they might be in danger of knocking each other over in some kind of Eddie Waring commentated game.  Also it's funny how they start off in deep space then land on a planet.  Anyway I agree with our Host that Mary looks a bit yearny but I like her this way and I'm giving her DotD just for that.  Overall though I don't find this Dance very interesting and although these four ladies are always eye-catching that's about all this Dance has going for it from my perspective so it's only 5/10 sorry.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 1976

PansLegs
Is it A Kind of Hush or A Kind of Mush? Unfortunately the early vibrancy of the Carpenters recordings has turned to saccharin with over-produced cover versions like this. Coupled with that we have a routine that seems to have been virtually phoned in by Flick, lacking any imagination.

Add to that the absence of any real set and stately ball style costumes (however lovely the ladies look) that seem totally out of place, the end result is instantly forgettable. A poor 3/10, Sue makes the best of it.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 1976

VintageVideos
PansLegs wrote
Is it A Kind of Hush or A Kind of Mush?
Good one

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 1976

mojo2007
I don't think I've ever gone to 4 before but even my love of the dancers has its limits. Nobody survives the embarrassment .

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

It's that globe again, this must it's debut outing, before eventually going All Over The World With Legs & Co., some four years later.
I really like these costumes, some of the best that I've seen Pan's People wearing, & there's some great camera trickery, with the aforementioned globe, with the ladies looking like they're dancing on it.
But already you could tell that Pan's People were winding down, as they had been reduced to a foursome by this point of time.

9/10

DotD:-

Mary

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

VintageVideos
Paperboyplod wrote
It's that globe again, this must be its debut outing
The globe appeared in "Space Oddity" on 23/12/1975, albeit just very briefly at the end.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Old Grey Whistler
I quite enjoy the music of the Carpenters if I am in an easy listening mood, but I don't think this was an ideal song for Pans to dance to. The globe effect is quite good and I like their gowns which give off a bit of a spinning top effect as they whirl around. The dancing is nothing special though and I feel as though they could almost have done this in their sleep. Of course at this point in time they were performing two routines per show so I doubt whether they spent very long working on this performance.
6 out of 10
DOTD could be anyone really but I will give it to Sue.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

There's A Kind Of Mush more like. I think a better word id choose to describe it is Twee, when googled comes up as `excessively or affectedly quaint, pretty, or sentimental`.

I do concede its a difficult song for the choreographer to devise a top notch routine to and i guess the routine matches the sweet dulcet tones of Karen's melodic voice. The performance in my mind also purveyed an end of an era feel to it, almost as if the dancers had been given their fates earlier in the day.

Without wanting to sound to unkind (which i fear will come over that way), Ruth did look way older than the other three in this. The nine years age difference certainly wasn't helped by the unflattering costumes, which did all four of the dancers no favours. On saying that, we get some super close-ups of the girls and for that, i will score it none to miserly.

DOTD--Super 15 seconds or so of Sue towards the start, but this seems a perfect routine to give DOTD to the gorgeous young `Mary`, who in all honesty should have had another half a decade or more left in her on the show.

Rating--Not as good as `Close To You`, not as bad as `We've Only Just Begun`. I think a score rating of `6.5 out of 10` is about where im at for this.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

I see that Flick has been over-ordering curtain material again !  The dance routine, somewhat restricted by those dresses seems to fit the song reasonably well, but it was never going to be much of a favourite, what with those unflattering outfits and the limited scope for movement they offer, so only a 5.5.  No stand out for Dotd but as its getting near the end of her run I'll choose Mary.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Gorgeous Daze
In keeping with the 'squeaky clean' siblings we have for our entertainment a demure quartet of young (or at least youngish) ladies looking as if they're off to a ball where they'll get one of their earliest opportunities to socialize with peers of the opposite sex. Dress girth a better-safe-than-sorry barrier to amorous hands. Perhaps not a hush but surely belonging to a quieter age. In famed literal fashion they find themselves on top of the world...Eh, hold on - wrong number!  The dancing is bland, flavoured with vanilla candyfloss. But I'm fonder of so softer on the later line-ups and I somehow like it in all their adorable innocence.

DOTD Sue.    7.5/10

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

PattiforPM
Gorgeous Daze wrote
 Dress girth a better-safe-than-sorry barrier to amorous hands.
Good point GD.  You'd need shin-pads to manage a bruise-free waltz with these beauties

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Mikey
I've always had a kind of fondness for this, i mean there are a few negatives, the outfits are 'lumpy dresses' mk2 and being set on pedestals again is limiting the moves to shuffling side to side swishing the dresses and a few twirls. What i do like are the cute little expressions Flick has integrated in, plus i think this quartet make a great little unit (although perhaps lacking any height variation) and even the overlays are pretty good. Its nothing special but still a rather enjoyable routine, 7/10, plus i like the song. DOTD Mary.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

over produced easy listening twaddle that is slightly out of date for the time-frame, great for 1970/1971, but come on it's 1976.

Hideous dresses, albeit the Pans women do look stately in these, but I'm in a comatose state looking at it.  best of a bad bunch, you bet, not the best and certainly not the worse.

Scores: a twee and wholesome 5/10

DOTD: 15 seconds of Sue  looking heavenly in the beginning is better than a kick in the knackers.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

PattiforPM
Andeebee wrote
DOTD: 15 seconds of Sue  looking heavenly in the beginning is better than a kick in the knackers.
LOL. I'm guessing probably not the biggest compliment Sue has ever had!

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Doc
OK there's nothing special here but despite that I quite like it so I'm going to disagree with most people and give it an 8/10.
Dotd: Sad Mary.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

SuPaLu
There are some nice moments of Mary & Sue miming the lyrics,but mainly the routine doesn't amount to much.7/10
DotD:Mary

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

Dancer
This was a good routine to a very mediocre song by The Carpenters.  I was not keen on this song when it was first released and the album is not good either (just I Need to be In Love ranked very high) but then the cracks had started to appear here in their health but well done to Herb Alpert for keeping them on his books.  The outfits were really good here and I always felt this was a rushed job as they had danced to Paperback Writer the same night.  I will award this dance eight out of ten and the best dancer awarded to Ruth as she seemed closer to the camera but I do agree she certainly looks older here.  She looked a little poorly.

Re: THERE'S A KIND OF HUSH (ALL OVER THE WORLD) -- 08/04/1976

MADMAX
Prefer the H/Hermits version of this song. The good part, I got to see all four girls do their thing with good light.  6    DOTD  Sue  Nice little solo
12