(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

(They Long To Be) Close To You
Performed by Carpenters and reaching number 6 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 15/10/1970 Duration of dance - 3.17 mins
Dancers: Andrea, Babs, Dee Dee, Louise, Ruth
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2TL0OrUjgKw

31 years ago, on Feb 4, 1983, Karen Carpenter passed away aged 32. The circumstances that lead to her untimely death have been widely covered so I will not repeat them here. Instead we will go back to 1969, the year when siblings Richard & Karen Carpenter were signed to A&M Records as "Carpenters". Richard remembers, "after much thought, we decided to name the act "Carpenters" (No "The"; we thought it sounded hipper without it, like Buffalo Springfield or Jefferson Airplane)".

"Carpenters" first single was a cover of the Beatles "Ticket To Ride" which peaked at a respectable No. 54 on the Billboard Hot 100. But their big break was just around the bend. Renowned songwriters Burt Bacharach and Hal Davis had written a song called "(They Long To Be) Close To You" which had been first recorded by Richard Chamberlain in 1963, and, among others, covered by Dusty Springfield and Dionne Warwick. But the artists that will forever be associated with this song are Richard & Karen Carpenter. Their version of "Close To You", released as "Carpenters" second single, spent four weeks at the top of the US charts and would peak at No. 6 in the UK a few months later. Now the world had discovered Karen's voice, there was no stopping "Carpenters", and you can't imagine the seventies without their music.

Pan's People performed this song on TOTP 15/10/1970, one of the few surviving TOTP editions from 1970. Alas, even though that week's host was the hitherto unsuspicious Tony Blackburn, there is no chance that this edition will ever be repeated, because all of Mr. Blackburn's links are mute.

This routine is mentioned in the new book "Our Story" with an image on page 93, explaining that the costumes were inspired by The Forsyte Saga.

I really love the opening shots of Andy, I think she looks just beautiful. Having said that, I'm not so sure about the costumes in general. These vintage costumes aren't quite what I'd like to see. Some of the girls even look like they are, err, in the family way . The dancing itself is quite nice, given that ballads are always a bit more difficult to dance to.

I am glad this routine has survived in colour but it's far from being one my favourites. I like the song yet at the same time it makes me a bit sad. Altogether it would not be more than a "7", but I am awarding an extra point just for the opening shots, so that's

8 / 10

DotD: Andy

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Suefan
Not the most danceable of songs but Flick has devised a suitably sedate routine.  Lots of well executed spins add a certain something but overall it isn't a great favourite of mine.  Given the mood of the piece the costumes are ok but they come, somewhat inevitably I suppose, with the fussy hairstyles which, to this fan of "BH", is guaranteed to put a slight damper on proceedings.  So only a 7.5 from this viewer with Andrea as my Dotd.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

JEZ
quite a nice little tune from the carpenters here ,not a song you can really do a lot with using 5 girls to interpretate the song ,even though i didnt like the thought of it i can understand now when flick colby once said that some songs needed blokes to be able to interpretate the song better ,a boy and a girl dancing together would have probably been easier to express the meaning of the song ,anyway the dresses are nice ,and its a typical early pans kind of dance ,nevertheless its still worth an 8

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Andeebee
So so sappy Carpenter's ditty (done and heard to death) given the Poldark makeover of big frocks (restriction of movement I bet), but so so fodder Pans routine, sadly not on par with the next routine to a Carpenter's hit.

Scores: 8/10

DOTD: Andrea

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

A beautiful song with an equally beautiful performance by the Pans girls. I really cant find much to fault here, the girls look great in period costume and the hair just gives an added dimension to this graceful routine. This was very well devised by Flick and expertly delivered by the five girls who were bang on the money with those spins and turns.

Dancer of the day is a very hard choice, between Andi & Dee Dee for me, but i just thought `Dee Dee` edged it.

`9 out of 10` for my rating.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

PaulF
Only one word - Delightful 8/10

Karen Carpenter has the best singing voice ever and we were deprived of her talent far too early.

DOTD Another taken too early Louise.

I now feel sad
Paul

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

These ladies really do look elegant in dresses that simply epitomise femininity, but, it has to be stated that, they're a tad over-dressed to be attempting long strides across the stage, their lower apparels just get in the way, & appear to inhibit their mobility somewhat.
Normal dancer colours are employed here, using a pastel palette, Babs wearing blue, for example, with the colouring being ever so slightly more subtle than usual.
I also like the Andy Warhol style paintings on the wall behind the girls, I wonder what that was inspired by.

8/10

DotD:-

Louise

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

OK I'm ready for the rotten fruit.  I really really don't like this one at all.  I think the ladies look like middle aged Alice in Wonderlands and although Karen's voice is like ambrosia from Olympus this is not my fave Carpenters outing either.  To my eyes the hairstyles are a bit fussy and icky too and, no, I didn't like the Forsyte Saga either.  To write like this makes me feel like an unappreciative fan so I'll stop now.  Andi does deserve DotD but I can only give 3.5/10  sorry

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Likes:
it's the girls
good result for a slow song which was not very dancy
Karen Carpenter on good day though this song is not her best - superstar and rainy days and mondays my faves
its not wiped

Not sure I like :
costumes like a jane austen drama (agree with adb's comparison to women in the legendary poldark series- Elizabeth Poldark would have worn something similar on a date with George Warleggen)
they are the bennett sisters from pride and prejudice plus 1
song- bizarrely this was sung on coronation street on friday for haley's funeral bash by the whole cast in the rovers- a bit dull
not sure any of the pans carpenters routines really pulled it off- kind of hush probably the best over this and we've only just begun
Mary whitehouse would have liked

DOTD Andy because that's who I've chosen and credit to the person who 1st posted this here.

7 because it's not special enough or sexy or fun enough

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Doc
A fairly basic dance and not all that exciting, It would have been interesting to see what Flick would have done for this had Legs and Co danced to it as she'd become a lot more adventurous with the cameras and sets by then. 7/10 and Dee Dee.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Old Bill
Oh lovely lovely lovely Karen Carpenter. I really do like Carpenters a lot. And 31 years ago today... sigh.

Hey ho.

Not an easy one to dance to, but Flick gets it just right. Not quite sure about the costumes though - they do look lovely, and the ringlets are adorable but I'm not quite sure what they have to do with the song. Maybe just because of the Forsytey zeitgeist of the time or maybe just because Flick liked the look.

Not the most of challenging or lively dances, but elegant and simple and charming to watch. Much like the song is to listen to.

8.5/10 and lovely lovely lovely Louise for DotD. Gone too soon too.
Jeremiah 31:13

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Lookmacinanger
I find the sound of the Carpenters just too middle of the road for my tastes but I do appreciate how they do appeal to other listeners. That is the approach taken with this routine and the belle of the ball dress code seems to work well for this track along with the pedestrian pace they are moving at. 6/10. Dotd, Andi

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Doubleday
A bit diffident about posting here because the sound and video on my PC are completely stuffed atm, and I'm not seeing any dance to best advantage ... however here goes

Perhaps because of Karen, I find all The Carpenters' music tinged with melancholy, and apparently I'm not the only one. The costumes don't seem to do anything for the dancers either. With one exception - somehow Louise manages to make something of this routine ... it must be those cheekbones! So I'll say 7 / 10 and favourite dancer Louise

What is BH please, Suefan?

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Pleasant twirling and nicely co-ordinated, but surely they could have changed the set?!

DotD: - Louise for me, Andrea is very mannequin-like, almost too detached, here

Score: 7.5

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Just my own shorthand for 'Big Hair'.  But only in the sense of wild and windswept, uncontrolled and untamed, rather than the beehive look.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Gorgeous Daze
Hmm. The wrong period costumes. This was the kind of song your mum liked, not your great great grandmother. The dresses don't even look that elegant, more like something pulled out of a dressing-up box. Then there's the glaring mismatch between the Olde Worlde and the pop art prints that have been left up. This could have been heartbreakingly beautiful, but it falls some way short. However, it isn't bad and the dancing is decorous with some very nice spinning; and I like the arm movements to go with the piano ripples.

DOTD Dee Dee, who puts in a lovely performance. And raven ringlets suit her.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Old Grey Whistler
A nice song from a singer who left us far too soon, but not an easy song to produce a dance routine for. We see some nice twirls and gentle movements and I think they do about as much as they can with this, particularly as they are further restricted by their period dresses.
It's a pleasant dance routine, not one to get the pulse racing, but good enough to get 8 out of 10.
DOTD is Dee Dee.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Mikey
Its odd how random early shows like this one survive in relatively good condition, and gives a good idea how the show was during that time period so i'm glad 'its not wiped' to quote BB. This dance itself is not all that exciting however but thats really down to the song. The main plus point is that Flick whilst not actually dancing this week has however done a great job on the stylised look of the dancers showing she was not afraid of taking risks here and there, and creating something unique in the process. The backdrops used for the bands could have been replaced but i'm not sure they did that until much later so i can't really complain.

I'll go with 7.5/10 because i do like the visual aspects and there are some nice close ups of all the ladies. DOTD will go to Dee Dee who is clearly enjoying this one.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

PansLegs
A great song here, among the Carpenters best and obviously very early on in their career, so unlikely to make a transatlantic flight quite yet but of course a BBC special did occur the following year. For now, it's up to Pan's People to provide the images to go with the song, in an era when you could have songs like this high in the charts alongside Paranoid by Black Sabbath.

Beginning with the simple phrase on the piano and the spinning/turning of Andrea and then Ruth seems to conjure up the feeling of a music box at the start of this routine (in retrospect a reminder of the Jack Jones Show music box number). The period style costumes help to slightly dissipate the goody-two-shoes image of the Carpenters and the resulting dance moves might have had if played out in more contemporary style clothes. Once the vocal starts it feels more like an old fashioned ball during the Victorian era with hairstyles to match and it's quite amazing how everyone's face seems old fashioned too.

Their traditional ballet style training makes the gentle spins and turns seem effortless, with the on screen result enhanced all the more by the long flowing dresses in pastel shades. If it wasn't for the music itself and the psychedelic rock style images of the usual TOTP stage set hanging around them you could easily be transported to another period of time. Almost everyone gets a reasonable close-up, shot though the Vaseline smeared camera lenses. 7/10 and DotD Dee Dee.

This performance from episode 347 survives as part of the earliest example of a complete episode in colour - that is complete visually, as the soundtrack is silent between performances, which means although we are spared some of Tony Blackburn's jokes it unfortunately falls into the same category as 14/1/71, 25/2/71 and 30/12/71 as probably only ever for excerpt use.

Only several weeks into a new title sequence that featured neither a live Pan's People performance as part of the programme's opening nor animated cardboard cut-outs of the two regular presenters. However, one member of Pans was involved, namely Andrea Rutherford, having been filmed in a white flared pant-suit from multiple angles and then heavily tinted into different colours. Also the same red perspex title letters are utilised alongside a colourfully patterned giant sized '1' that ends the sequence. It seems totally bizarre then that shortly after this Autumn revamp the whole thing was scrapped to be replaced by completely new titles, with a new white on black logo and a totally different theme!

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

VintageVideos
PansLegs wrote
the soundtrack is silent between performances, which means although we are spared some of Tony Blackburn's jokes it unfortunately falls into the same category as 14/1/71, 25/2/71 and 30/12/71 as probably only ever for excerpt use.
1/7/71 is another episode with mute links, but nevertheless it was repeated by UK Gold (simply omitting all the links). The same could be done with 15/10/70. 14/1/71 & 25/2/71 would need a bit more attention though as the archived versions are unedited and include a number of mishaps. 30/12/71 is unbroadcastable due to not just mute links but also mute performances.