(THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

PansLegs
VintageVideos wrote
1/7/71 is another episode with mute links
I forgot that one.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Rickh69
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

VintageVideos
Thanks for your ratings, Heartthrobfan. It's nice to see you enjoy so many of the classic (early) Pan's People routines. It seems you don't have difficulties identifying the dancers any longer, one learns quite quickly here as we all experienced

Re: CLOSE TO YOU -- 1970

Dancer
I first saw this routine on TOTP2 and remember Steve Wright passing comment on the attire.  I never really got it at all and found the routine to be a little dull.  I am a huge Carpenters fan and have all of their CDs.  Their music will never die and this song especially was so lovely to hear first thing in the morning when Mom was getting me ready to go to school.  It was just perfect but again I don't like the routine for the song.  I will award this dance seven out of ten and the best dancer will go to Andrea.

Re: (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

MADMAX
We have a double, Firstly, Its great to see a "Pans" number being featured. A fairly conservative routine but very nice just the same. The girls looked beautiful in their long gowns. Secondly, "Carpenters", Karen was a lovely singer, nice easy listening  music. Made #1  Aug. '70 down here with this one. I believe she could play the drums too. So for me this is a  "9"

Re: (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

With this routine to the Carpenters first hit. The wonderful Close To You, sung by the wonderful Karen Carpenter. Our ladies are in elegant mode. The colourful costumes were inspired by The Forsyte Saga. And the elegant dance movement through out the routine are just wonderful. There is a wonderful moment in the routine. Were the ladies spin in a circle and the movement blow out the elegant dresses. We see that we don't have Flick in this routine. But all the ladies are good in the routine.

The Dotd will after go to Andi, who remind me of Nyree Dawn Porter, who was in the Forsyte Saga.

The score must be 8 out of 10.

Re: (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

   Romanticism, also known as the Romantic Movement, was a period in art and literature from the latter end of the 18th Century to halfway through the 19th Century- from about 1770- 1850 in effect. It was a movement which developed away from the Classicism of the 1700s and in opposition to the Enlightenment, the term for progression in Science, Religion and Politics, which was prevalent in that same century. Romanticism consisted of a new creativity borne from renewed interest in personal experience, expression and thought and would entail a consistent return to certain themes. These could be about 'remembered childhood', 'unrequited love' and 'the spiritual connection between the Human race and Nature'. Alongside the Romanticism of the age would develop another movement known as the Picturesque, a vividly visual image of the quaint and romantic to inspire feelings of aesthetic appreciation of beauty in the viewer.
  Why should this matter here? No other reason really, but the costumes. It has been quoted by the group that the elegant and stylish dresses were inspired by the novels and moreover the Television series 'The Forsyte Saga'. However this was written by John Galsworthy in the first part of the 20th Century and set to begin in the late Victorian ( 19th Century ). Yet, the dresses are of the style known as the 'Empire Line' and were mostly fashionable in the period from 1790 to 1820, right in the middle of the time of the Romantic Movement, as described above. Apart from the obvious possibility that there had been a 'period' set for a specific piece in that TV drama, the time seems misplaced. I would say that a better example of novel for these would be 'Vanity Fair', written by William Makepeace Thackeray in 1847/48 and set at the beginning of the 19th Century. And does anyone- apart from the writer- remember a BBC production of this book shown on television in 1967/68?
   A stately ballet, the entire dance puts in my mind the feelings of gracefulness and beauty- perhaps speaking to me of how five young ladies would have danced at the start of 19th Century and during the period of the Napoleonic Wars themselves. The girls all look very beautiful, their hair in ringlets and are very attracting in these long gowns and gloves, as if they were about to enter a ballroom- appropriately enough. All in fairly muted pastel shades, apart from Ruth sparkling in yellow. For me, particularly pleasing are the long spins, especially towards the end which seem last a fair amount of time and to lift up the voluminousness of the dresses- very stylishly and endearingly. And at about 02.25 when the dancers come forward and fold their arms across their bodies is another attractive aspect of the routine. The lighting is good to enable us to watch the dance perfectly well, and the silvery backdrop does not interfere with this in any way. The whole routine is a positive treatment of grace and beauty- which I repeat- and one I like very much.
   Despite their obvious talent as singers and musicians I never knew anybody who really valued the 'Carpenters' before meeting my wife. She is very fond of them, even now, and it has to be said the (They Long To Be ) Close To You remains as one of her favourite songs- as done by the pair. This was to be the start of a digression into the different appeal of music between men and women, but not this time- that will come very soon.
   For me, Ruth attracts my eye here in her enchanting yellow hue, especially at about 01.40 with her delightful movements. But I feel that for this routine it is a devilishly difficult decision to choose between Dee Dee and Andi for the ultimate award. The camera seems to follow Dee Dee around for long periods, not surprisingly, and at 00.23 clearly emphasises her graceful charm and deportment. But grace and graceful are recurring words to describe this routine and none are more entitled to that epithet than Andi, not just for the stylish beginning and small cameo of elegance from about 01.40-01.45, but during the whole performance. She is my Becky Sharp here.
  DOTD- the delightful Andi- who seems to have been born with this kind of elegance in mind.
  The routine as a whole is 9/10- very, very good in itself and makes me imagine I am back in 1810 and five charming young ladies have arrived in the dancing room this very moment.

Re: (THEY LONG TO BE) CLOSE TO YOU -- 15/10/1970

Michael
What an excellent write up! I thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

Must admit, I've brushed over watching this routine until today (I'm not a big fan of ballads), but am glad I did; it's a lovely performance by all the ladies, all of whom approach their steps and movements with grace, elegance, and fluidity.

Of course, I'm watching Louise ;-) , but have to echo your sentiments regarding Ruth's personal input...
12