THIS IS IT -- [January]

THIS IS IT  Dance/performance number 146 by Legs & Co
Performed by Dan Hartman  reaching number 17 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 18/01/79 Duration of dance 2.38 mins
Dancers - Gill, Lulu, Patti, Pauline, Rosie, Sue

Sue      131
Pauline 130
Patti     127
Rosie    126
Gill       123
Lulu      122
A link to the dance http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26d73u_legs-co-this-is-it-totp-tx-18-01-1979_creation

Legs & Co perform to Dan Hartman's follow up single to `Instant Replay`. Whilst this song is jolly and upbeat, for me it doesn't possess any qualities of longevity like `IR` did and i find the tune just does not linger in the memory for to long. Well thats the negatives out of the way.

The only copy ive seen of this is the grainy old VHS recording posted by YMG 5 or 6 years ago so it was an absolute pleasure to see this routine in crystal clear quality last night. It starts of with the classic Flick move by having each of our dancers approach camera, give us one of their welcoming smiles then depart left and right. We then go into normal formation dancing, but then something new, our girls move into a solo dancer, a duo and trio. Shades of a certain err `wiped routine` from 77 when this was last done. It certainly works for me in this with Pauline taking on her solo spot superbly.

Ive never really noticed the be-jewelled string vests (not the kind your dad wore) either before until this clearer BBC4 picture. Id say before last night id have this one down as nothing more than an average routine, but id have it a little higher now.

Im going to award it `8.5 out of 10`, 24 hours ago it may have been in the 6 or 7 region.

DOTD, well its great to see `Pauline` finally getting her share of the camera and she is my choice on this one.

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Paperboyplod
There's a nice theme happening here with both the dancer's costumes, & the decor, the pastel-coloured glass effects really look great, the ladies appear to really be enjoying this dance routine as well, what with their happy-looking duck-like waddling, & what's really great here, is the ample-leg exposures, coupling with some high-kicking, to quite literally give this routine a kick, if you get my meaning there.

9/10

DotD:-

Lulu
Justin
Stu

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Stu
This post was updated on .
I loved this routine, I thought it had great pace and loads of variety, girls look like they're having a fab time, nice outfits, good camera angles. Not sure this would be a song I'd like too much if I heard it on the radio, but played along with the vision of our sexy six giving a top performance, well it gave the music something more than it probably has. I can't remember the last time I gave one, I think it's been a while, but this gets top marks from me.  And as Ryan said it's great to see Pauline getting some well deserved limelight.

10/10

DOTD  Pauline

Stuey

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

This is the third dance of the year is a uptempo song by Dan Hartman. We see the ladies wear a white leotard and put other the top. His a be jewelled knotted vest that shimmering in the light when moving. We first see the ladies in a line coming towards the camera and smile. Then go into a row and start dancing in formation. Then split up, so you have Pauline on her own. We have Rosie, Lulu and Gill together. And last of all we have Patti and Sue together All doing solo bits in the routine. Just a nice routine and all the ladies seem to be like it.

The Dotd will after go to the wonderful smiling Pauline.

So the score is 8 out of 10.

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

A very nice routine, all the better for being able to watch it in good quality, and it comes complete with string vests so say no more!  I also like the 3:2:1 choreography so will give this an 8.5 with Pauline as my Dotd.

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

So so watery follow up to the mega hit 'Instant Replay', not one of Mr Hartman's finest (that is saved for his next hit 'Relight My Fire') but nevertheless a great fun song for a January night.

I haven't seen the old ropey VHS version, so can't comment, but this is has a subtle vaselined look to the picture...nice formation dancing (last seen in early 1977 - certain track by Heatwave I believe).

At least Paulijne gets her solo spot with her finger wagging and cute as a button smile....

Scores on ADB's doors: 8.5/10

DOTD: Pauline

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

The ladies look delectable in this one and it's nice to see Pauline given the #1 spot too.  The set is rather odd and the performance definitely loses a mark for hiding Patti at the end of the row behind a striped icicle at one point but this is still an enjoyable watch.  The song is a bit vacuous too but overall I think 8.5/10  is reasonable for this one.  DotD goes to the lovely Pauline for sure and kudos to Mr Powell for complying with his Valium prescription

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

How odd, Ryan, SF, Andee and P4PM all giving this the same ratings score and same DOTD. Great minds and all that !

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Colm
I like the 1-2-3 combination here too.

DotD: Pauline (love her smiles)

Score: 8

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

This gets off to a fail-safe start with the smiling facial roll call, which reveals it's the first routine of 79 with six appeal. I agree with Peter Powell, the girls do look particularly beautiful in their BBC jewel-laden nets over white leotards. While 'This Is It' isn't as exhilarating as 'Instant Replay', it's another good, joyful, number from Dan Hartman for them to dance happily to. The zebra print hangings look cheapo, but that's of no consequence with a routine where we only need eyes for the girls. The lighting's a wee bit dim, but that's better for sparkling in. The camera work rotating around Pauline solo, the duo of Patti and Sue, and the other trio, is a great success. And I very much like the movements where they lock their fists together and do an exaggerated see-saw-type motion with their arms. Then there's a train, slick spins and high-kicks, strutting, views of pert behinds...all things we like.

And it's a long-awaited good deal for DOTD Pauline. And her fans. - i.e. just about all of us. Her finger wagging could almost be saying, 'Told you I can shine when given the chance'.

9.25/10

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Mikey
A nice rainbow coloured routine to a slightly cheesy song, like most i feel Instant Replay is a much better song. This routine moves along at a fair old pace though, with lots of cutting between the different dancer sets, and with Pauline out on her own getting extra camera time. It looked like Patti disappeared at one point behind the scenary though, could just be a dodgy camera angle. The saxophone part gives us a regrouped finish with high kicks, some booty shaking, fast spins and a lovely smile from Lulu, clearly working that camera as we all know she can.

Will give it an 8/10 DOTD Lulu

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

bucksby
whilst we didn't get I'm every woman this is a a great routine to an underated song. Pauline is DODTD and the routine gets a 9

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

VintageVideos
This is it!? Well not quite I'm afraid. It's a very nice and pleasant routine with the girls looking lovely as ever. Pauline is the star here and she acts her part properly. But the song is as dull as dish water and so this won't be a routine that I will watch often, unfortunately. I'm already fed up with the record and I feel the rating would go down with repeated viewing.

8 / 10

DotD: Pauline

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

AC/PD
Nice legs, shame about the song.
To be fair to Dan Hartman, This Is It sounds much improved in the BBC4 showing, compared to the grimy audio on the old UKGold version.
It's great to see each of the ladies given a close-up parade to begin with, despite being semi-lit, although the lattice-shaped mini-dresses slung over plain white leotards certainly add sparkle as partial accessories.
Enjoyable little dance segments throughout, such as Patti & Sue clenching their fists in 'put 'em up' mode, Lulu carrying off that illusion where the hands cross over the knees (what's that called?) and Pauline demonstrating the breast stroke.
Best moment is the single high kick the ladies perform when lined up.
Pleasing to see that Rolf Harris has been having a go backstage....with a tin of Dulux non-drip and a paintbrush to create the background pattern.
8/10
DOTD: Pauline

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

PaulF
8/10 enjoyable routine to watch but not impressed by the stage set featuring distracting bits of paper.  Nice to see Sue and Patti dancing together and plenty of camera time for Pauline. What with the cheeky glances from Lulu this makes it a very hard DOTD decision to make, but after careful thought and consideration I will go with the majority and vote for Pauline.
Paul

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Angie
Not over keen on the tune, but the girls are great......love the costumes and smiles all around!

7/10

DOTD: Pauline

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Lookmacinanger
This is definitely, no bear with me, let me finish, has got to be it!
Well what a comeback this routine has made from its hibernation in the shadows from its days on UK Gold. Dan Hartman certainly delivers with this follow up to Instant Replay and remember how Legs and Co came in under budget but ticked all the boxes with that project; well they certainly kept their end of the bargain this time. Minor gripe with the set designer who should be on a final warning for allowing it to a) Block Patti from view, b) hang so low that Sue caught it a couple of times.
Can we sign this job off, yes sir 10/10, Dotd, Lulu.

They expect me to go on?, Alright don't bother then.

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Old Grey Whistler
For the first time in 1979 we have a full troupe. I like the introduction where we get a good view of each dancer individually, a technique that has been used before but always goes down well. The girls then split into a trio, a duo and a solo. Lulu dominates the trio in my view, the heavyweight duo (not in the literal sense!) of Sue and Patti are both on top form, but for me it is Pauline who steals the show and gets DOTD.
There is some nice choreography and dancing to admire, but it doesn't quite reach the highest levels, so a score of 8 out of 10 will suffice.

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

Adorable Gillusion
6.5/10   DOTD...Pauline

Re: THIS IS IT -- [January]

It's great to see this in sparkling quality.It's not a favourite but it is enjoyable enough.I like the way the dancers were split up into  groups.7/10
DotD:Pauline