THIS IS IT

“This Is It” was written by Van McCoy and performed by Beatrice Melba Hill, who chose to change her name to Melba Moore, presumably because there is not a glut of Soul or Disco stars called Beatrice.   The song reached #9 in the UK charts and she had a hit Album of the same name.  Melba had a mixture of stage and musical work but never reached the dizzy heights of the Top Ten again despite this.  The song was covered by several other singers, perhaps most notably by the poorly spelt Star of the Vagina Monologues “Dannii  Minogue” who had the 43rd biggest selling single in Australia with it in 1993.  It wasn’t featured in the Monologues as far as I know.

                           THIS IS IT  -   Melba Moore                          May 27th  1976

                            DANCERS:   Cherry, Lulu, Patti, Sue

                LINK:    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x26bkxq_ruby-flipper-this-is-it-totp-tx-27-05-1976_creation

This features our four gorgeous Ruby Flipper ladies in gossamer and has been the subject of some debate regarding our ability to see or not to see things which I will not discuss here.  Suffice to say they wave tinsel-like pom-poms and dance on small platforms in these outfits to this bright little number and look very good indeed.  What does strike me here is the contrast between the young Lulu, who smiles sweetly throughout, and the other three ladies who are trying to jazz it up more with interesting expressions and some flourishes within the confines allowed by the song, platforms and pom-poms. Ultimately I don’t think this one works all that well despite their best efforts and I would have liked to see them moving around much more but it was not to be.  Sometimes one thinks “poor Flick this song could never work” but this time I think there was a bit of a missed opportunity as the song is no Classic Dance Anthem but it’s pretty reasonable   I am giving 5.5/10 here and DotD is challenging for me but I have to give it to one of the three “veterans” and I think Sue’s off the shoulder look and superior effort just carries the day.  How do my learned friends find?

Re: THIS IS IT

Suefan
I may be wrong but I've always thought that Lulu's slightly more restrained performance might have stemmed from the nature of the costume she found herself wearing, and in which she felt just a little self conscious.  But the other three dancers certainly make the most of what limited movement is allowed them although I agree that an element of moving around the dance floor would have added to this one.  The shade of the costumes also strikes me as a somewhat odd choice.  However, having said all that I still like this one a lot, but then you knew I would, even if only for the most obvious of reasons so I'm giving it a score of 8.  And while Sue's off the shoulder cut might have lacked a little support here and there I'm backing her claim to the DotD spot in this one.

Re: THIS IS IT

The first all-girl Ruby Flipper routine, & it's not bad, obviously, there's a cheer-leader's theme going on here, hence no male participants, & why else would they all be twirling those tasselly bits around, like they're pompons, you see these groups of girls waving about at major-league baseball matches in America.
For me, Lulu really makes this routine so enjoyable, the epitome of cuteness as she shield into the camera at frequent intervals.

8/10

DotD:-

Lulu

Re: THIS IS IT

An okay song, but the performance is not all that exciting. Its basically our 4 beauties just shaking branches of tinsel about the place to a few rudimentary dance steps. Actually the tinsel begins to get on my nerves after about 30 seconds and i seldom watch this one.

DOTD, `Sue` just edges out Lulu.

Score rating, no its none one of the best this and 5 out of 10 seems adequate from me.

Re: THIS IS IT

Doc
The stage layout and camera work means that it would be difficult to pick anyone other than Sue or Lulu. Cherry may well have been my dotd had she been in front. As for the front 2 Lulu looks nervous but happy to be there, so my dotd has to go to another professional performance from Sue.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: THIS IS IT

Andeebee
one of my favourites, regardless of the rather pleasing costumes

I give this a nice 9.9 (Lulu's obvious restraint knocks this back a bit)

DOTD; gotta be the sexy Sue

Re: THIS IS IT

'This Is It', a return to the all girl troupe perchance?. No, it was back to business as usual for the Flipper guys and gals soon after. The glitzy quartet make good use of last Christmas's spare tinsel, to give us a tight routine to Melba's peach of a song.
It's a pity Cherry and fruity Patti weren't given a little more airtime in this sweet dessert, so it's left to Sue and Lulu to contend for the top(ping) and it's Miss Menhenick's more relaxed disposition that wins the day. 7.75/10
WTH

Re: THIS IS IT

VintageVideos
Some of you guys are really hard to please, here you have a Flipper routine with just the girls and you get all grumpy in your votes.
It's a good disco tune and a nice routine, nothing spectacular but very pleasant to watch. I like this one and so it gets an 8.5 from me, I certainly prefer it to TVC15 any day!
DotD: the lovely Cherry.
I lay on the lilo till I'm lobster red

Re: THIS IS IT

   Why should an all girl routine be more appealing than one that contains mixed dancers. All my favourite RF performances are when they contain both sexes. There is an argument here that says Flick shouldn't be using girls only in Ruby routines. Afterall, she was the one that wanted mixed dancers.
   Vin, youve gotta drop this fixation you have with mentioning `TVC15` a lot of the time. We all like different things. This one, the tinsel just does my head in and i find it distracting.

Re: THIS IS IT

I reckon this was Flick's attempt at appeasing the flak at bringing Phil, Gav and Floid in by giving the RF girls a Pan's-style routine.

And the dancers certainly rise to the gauntlet - you could imagine Patti = Ruth and Lulu = Mary quite easily here.

Overall, a pleasantly simple routine afforded to a suitable song. My score: 7.5

My DotD gets the honour for making this routine look an effortless breeze (as opposed to a summer one) - yes, it's Sue. No discredit though to Cherry, Lulu and Patti.

Re: THIS IS IT

PattiForPM
Interesting voting chaps.  Looks like Ryan and I are the detractors this time and I just counted up and interestingly 5 of the first 10 Ruby Flipper Appearances only included ladies so maybe Flick was cleverly easing us into the idea of a mixed Troupe, although a couple of these appearances were solo dancers with the performer so I'm not sure.  I did find this a bit surprising though, knowing that Flick's ambition was to move away from the girl-only format.

Re: THIS IS IT

PattiForPM
Oh Doc BTW, you nominated a DotD but gave no mark for the Dance as a whole, can I pester you for a number?

Re: THIS IS IT

I believe that it was at the request of the producer that the ladies accompanied Robin Sarstedt first time around.
Suefan
LNV

Re: THIS IS IT

LNV
I want to like this much more than I do. I should like 'This Is It' more than I am self-consciously aware that I in fact do not.  Apologies to all concerned in the making of the Routine, Flick and the Girls but this is certainly not it! Now to find the reason why, what has occurred at the scene of the crime? For some kind of negligence has happened here I think. The song begins with a gentle insouciant bass-line, dampened down drum sound with insistent piano keys being struck to finally take flight as the violins sweep upwards as does the high-pitched vocal, filled with the exuberance of new found love. Unfortunately the fixed in place dancers wearing their dull as dishwater gossamer outfits, the lower half of which I have only seen in the mature ladies section of a clothes catalogue, kills off any feeling of buoyancy or thrill. What a letdown. The tinsel adornment on the outfits and their razzle-dazzle sticks adds little, only a mocking reminder to the viewer of what a truly dazzling showcase this should have been.  I agree that Lulu is lovely as ever, her charming reticent performance is more engaging than the more vigorous work of her experienced co-dancers. Flick sure was lucky to land upon Lulu in those auditions of yesteryear, thankfully Flick did. I mean is there anyone out there who doesn’t fancy Lulu at some point?

5/10

DotD: Lulu does less but is just so much more appealing than her colleagues. The mystery and the magic that is Lulu!

Re: THIS IS IT

Floid Fan
On initial viewing, the routine seems a pretty lightweight and inconsequential one, but I have come to appreciate it a little more. It is deceptive in its apparent simplicity, and below the surface, quite a lot of practice and synchronisation has ensured the tinsel and hand and arm movements are in perfect timing.
I like the way that the girls smile away in this bouncy little dance number. Unfortunately Patti, stuck at the far back, does not get as much camera attention as I would have liked to have seen.  Lulu is caught with a few of her irresistable cutie pie era looks and smiles and Sue takes the main spotlight as the consummate professional  up at the front. However, for me, I always associate Cherry with bringing that something extra to the Ruby Flipper dynamic that was sorely missed when she was gone for a few weeks in August and the first couple of weeks of Oct 1976.
5.75 out of 10.
DOTD: Cherry.
Carl

Re: THIS IS IT

P4Pm you are so demanding!

Difficult to disagree with you FF.
Sandy Borne Appreciation Society

Re: THIS IS IT

PattiForPM
Thanks again for your contributions chaps and Doc I see you don't respond to my demanding nature!  I'll have to try a softer approach in future.  Seriously though it seems as if this performance also presses some good and less good buttons.  Thanks for that comment SF about the producers, always interesting to find out some of the behind the scenes machinations.  Some of the regulars still have to give us their six pennies worth, I hope.

Re: THIS IS IT

SuPaLu
The song's OK and the routine isn't unpleasant,although i'm not a fan of lots of tinsel and simply waving it about.I would've prefered a proper dance together with the blokes.I think most of Ruby Flipper dances are brilliant,but this is a weak one.
6/10
DotD - Sue

Re: THIS IS IT

JEZ
im really begining to wonder if this week was a very rare occasion where flick thought to herself ,i really cant be bothered to do a lot this week ,first we had tvc 15 to judge ,now from the same edition this is it ,now i love the song and i like the dance ,but i would have to say that not a great lot of choreography as gone into both of the songs that were featured by ruby flipper on this edition ,as i like the song ,and i quite like the twirly silver sticks they are waving ,i will give a 6 out of 10 ,cheers