THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 13/11/1975

This Old Heart Of Mine
Performed by Rod Stewart and reaching number 4 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date 13/11/1975 Duration of dance - 2.41 mins
Dancers: Cherry, Lee, Mary, Ruth, Sue
A link to the dance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFb1qY4iNm4

Even though one might think that Rod Stewart was a regular performer on Top of the Pops, the facts tell another story. The Popscene site lists no more than a mere seven solo studio performances from 'Rod the Mod'. His reluctance to visit the TOTP studios led to at least two occasions when Pan's People danced to one of his songs. The first routine was "Maggie May" back in 1971 (sadly wiped) while the second took place four years later, in November 1975, just when "This Old Heart Of Mine" had entered the charts at No. 27.

The episode in question had also been wiped by the BBC so it seemed this dance was lost forever. But pictures of the girls in the same outfits advertising a ball game called "Streaker" (no, not The Streak...) had appeared in 2011 on the Pan's People site. Member cornershop15 was the first to mention the connection to "This Old Heart of Mine". Then, on Christmas Day 2012, the routine suddenly surfaced on the "One For The Dads"-blog, even though not quite in its original form. Read the whole story here. Until now, this is the only surviving clip of that TOTP episode.

It is interesting to note that Pan's People had already performed to "This Old Heart Of Mine" seven years earlier, when the song charted in its original version by The Isley Brothers (in a completely different line-up of course).

The routine is rather straightforward without a lot of variation. That's not to say I don't like it. These girls look fantastic in my opinion, the steps go very well with the music, and a fair number of close-ups surely enhance the viewing pleasure. The record is plodding along a bit and hasn't aged too well, not exactly Rod's best one, but on the other hand I'd rather see the girls dance to an old Tamla classic than to a boring ballad so I won't complain. Lee is placed in the center of the quintet and I have to say, she does a good job, just like the other new girl, Mary. But the star of the pack, as far as I'm concerned, is definitely Sue.

This is not one of my favourites but it isn't bad either. Think I'll rate it

8.5 / 10

DotD: Sue

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

PansLegs
As far as the soundtrack to this one goes, I far prefer the original recording by The Isley Brothers as this one feels way too slow and consequently drags its heels. In turn, I feel this limits the performance a tad, especially when in such attire a full blown 'break into a sweat' type of routine could easily have been accommodated. Having said that, there are lots of good moves including trademark style moments from Flick interpreting the lyrics.

Occasionally there is a costume (a bit like the baby-dolls from Homely Girl and Hip Hug Her) that define an era of Pans for me - the outfits for this performance is one of those. Possibly because it was also used in a lot of publicity stills but it's great to see their names emblazoned on the cropped tops as well and of course the girls look fabulous with lots of lovely curves on display.

There's a pretty good selection of shots from wide angle to close-ups and as I say, any limitations of this routine I feel has nothing to do with Pans, purely the track itself. 8/10 DotD Mary

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Yes it's a bit of a dirge at this slow pace and a little bit of a shot across the bows to let us know which direction the previous rocker was headed but these ladies in these costumes could make a Gregorian Chant sexy and watchable.  They really do look lovely in those long socks and skimpy bottoms with monographed tops and little hats.  Ahhhh.  The moves are slow and smooth as befits their accompaniment and we are so lucky to have this one to see.  Transcending the music they hit a 9/10  for me and choosing a DotD is very tricky as it's all unison but Cherry persuaded the cameraman to spend most of his time on the right side of the stage, has her smiles and eyes working overtime and deliberately left her neck covering in the dressing room so once again I'm entrapped.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Although a decent enough song this is certainly one of those which the dance routine lifts to a considerably higher plane.  The easy flow of the moves, coupled with the girls very appealing costumes in which they all look gorgeous, makes this a regular on my play list and so I'm giving it a 9.5.

With lots of the play down the Cherry wing both she and Sue are very strong contenders for the position of ace striker, but with Ruth getting perhaps a little less camera time, and Lee proving as idioscyncratic as usual, I'm choosing Mary as my Dotd.  Eight weeks into her TOTP career she plays a blinder (with even better to come the following week).

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Fancy a game of Streaker?, anyways, this is a gentle dance routine, to chillax to, & everybody has an equal part to play in this one, but had this been the Isley Brothers version, to put a dance routine to, a more energetic sequence, would've been the order of the day.

7/10

DotD:-

Mary

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

I'm not much a fan of the Plastic Scot Rod Stewart but i really like this slower version of this song. Indeed with the girls dancing at such slow pace, it gives us more time to ogle at them in their cute outfits.

I do agree that Mary is quite stunning in this, but i see this as a good opportunity to award a DOTD for the centrally positioned `Lee`.

Its a routine i love, so i will award this a maximum `10 out of 10`.

Post edited to include the increased score rating.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

PaulF
Nice smooth and easy routine, very enjoyable to watch so 8.5/10.

DOTD Mesmerized by Sue.
Paul

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Gorgeous Daze
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCYtEa9yDXs

Those costumes have razzmatazz and are a fine way for Flick to pay homage to her homeland! But affixing a throaty ball and chain to the song doesn't help the ears. Question for father and older son: To what amount does the resultant drag on momentum diminish the contemplation of beautiful women? Give your answer in fractions to the nearest quarter. Well, the easy pace, as Ryan suggests, encourages us to sit back and relax and enjoy the girls, and though it's a routine of simple moves I don't think even a 12 inch version would become boring. It's effective and the romantic gestures aren't overplayed thus giving it a subtle from-the-heart feel. Having studied all the figures I reckon the Rod friction factor is zero and the result is a round 8/10  DOTD Cherry

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

I like everything bout this........

DOTD: Sue

Scores: 10/10

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Mikey
Dear Producer, please can you arrange for Pans People to wear those outfits every week?, what no!, darn. Gravelly voiced Rods obvious cash-in cover follow up to Sailing is a trifle dull in comparison but luckily for us Pans People are brighting the mood with this excellent synchronous dance. Whilst routed to the spot we are treated to a nice hybrid of distant shots and overlaid close ups, showing off the outfits to the fullest. This seems to be some of the most laid back dancing yet seen even the odd finger clicking gets a look in, yet oddly it works and the tune in the background seems inconsequential as i get as lost in the presentation as Cherry seems to at the end, that is before snapping back to reality with that darned insert.

9/10 DOTD Mary

Edit - I do like the female backing singing on this too.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

BeautifulBabs
Likes:

Fantastic outfits as already posted were used in the streaker game photos that I love and have on a tshirt
Beautiful navels on show.

Scores less high because:

Cherry forgot her scarf and no-one noticed surely ?
Lee in the centre has a good day but is sometimes out of time with Sue.
Choreography is simple and they are just in a straight line.I doubt this needed much rehearsal - I tend to compare with the hours of preparation in the blue peter with lesley judd routine. This is so basic I dont think it needed much rehearsal.
an easy shift for the girls- perhaps a frisbee routine
Sue narrowly pips Cherry to her left for dancer of the day
8 from the east sussex jury maybe I will be up for meanie of the week

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Old Grey Whistler
Hmm! Rod has managed to transform a good song into a bit of a dirge and unfortunately that has impacted on my overall enjoyment of the dance. The costumes are good but there is little else here to raise the routine to above the average so it is just 7.5 out of 10 from me. I reckon I would have probably have enjoyed their dance to the original version more.
Difficult to pick a DOTD with it being such an ensemble routine, but I will go with Cherry.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Doc
It's ironic that this routine was missing for almost 40 years and then two copies of it would turn up within a year of each other. Fortunately this copy got shared with the masses whilst the other (which does not suffer from the edits) got shown once as has since been locked safely away probably never to be seen again. Now off the soapbox, I'm glad this survived if only for the outfits, they are stunning. The dance is not bad either 9/10.
Dotd: Close run thing between Sue and Mary. Mary looks ultra cute here so I've gone for her (although Sue's damn close on that front as well).

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Vin, being a fellow host i know changing original score ratings can be a bit if a bind. But this routine demands a maximum from me and can i ask you to alter my original score to `10 out of 10` for this. I will also edit my original post to include it.

Cheers.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

VintageVideos
No problem Ryan. After watching this routine quite a few times in the past months, it has gone up in my estimation as well. I still don't think it's a tenner, but I will up my score from 8.5 to 9.0.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Dancer
This is the second track from his Atlantic Crossing album and on the slow side too.  Britt Eckland told him to release one side fast and one side rock and he did this with a few of his albums.  I really liked this song and the album too.  The background vocals to this song are truly incredible.  Remember Pans People dancing to this and it was really lovely to watch.  The outfits were perfect and the routine too.  I will award this dance ten out of ten and the best Dancer awarded to Cherry.  I do hope she is reading this as I really miss our copious chats on the sales floors and the lovely kisses we exchanged on the Ground Floor each New Year.  Memorable.

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

PattiForPM
Dancer wrote
 the lovely kisses we exchanged on the Ground Floor
  ....the search for Security Camera footage commences

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Everything'sRosie
At first glance, this is pretty basic stuff to a rather insipid cover by London-born-but-I'm-Scottish-at-heart-no-really-I-am Rod Stewart. Obviously the rather sparse gear draws you in, and I'm as guilty as anyone on that count. But, perhaps that was the original intention, because after about the third watch the magic starts to work, and those slow, almost half-hearted, moves start to become mesmerising! Be warned. This routine is bewitching. Do not underestimate its power to corrupt or like sailors of old you'll be drawn onto the rocks.

Marks: 9/10
DotD: she-devil par excellence Mary

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

PattiForPM wrote
Dancer wrote
 the lovely kisses we exchanged on the Ground Floor
  ....the search for Security Camera footage commences

Re: THIS OLD HEART OF MINE -- 1975

Yes this routine certainly grows on you. I challenge every fan of the dancers to watch it three or four times and not get mesmerized by these lovely ladies!