THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) [August]

THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) [August]

THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version)Dance/performance number 119 by Legs & Co
Performed by  The Commodores  and reaching number 1 in the UK charts
Original broadcast date   17/08/78  Duration of dance --  2.38 mins
Dancers -- Lulu, Patti, Sue

Pauline 111
Sue      109
Lulu     106
Patti     106
Rosie    106
Gill       104
A link to the dance -- http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12o5zm_legs-co-three-times-a-lady-version-1-totp-tx-17-08-1978_creation

Isn't it great when one discovers something new about ones favourite dance troupe. There was i thinking all this time that the August version of this containing the three dancers was interspersed with images of the artists. I now realize was from The Commodores second week at number one, bit daft of me really, i should have known there would be a full version of this.
I have to say this full version is much better on the eye, and in my opinion, far superior to the Christmas version, which sees all six of our girls taking part. Cant say im a lover of the song, and our three dancers make it more palatable on my ears. Some very nice close ups again in this, seems the cameramen and production crew had a good day on the 17th of August with two really decent offerings.

My rating for this is a nice healthy `8.75 out of 10`.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Paperboyplod
As these routines go, this one has to be one of the blandest, which I guess at least matches the accompanying song, the trio of dancers here can't really help it, casual dress-code, practically no stage props, but the spotlight's quite literally on them, so that's something that gives the routine much needed brownie points.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

I may be swimming upstream here but I really like this song and I think this performance is absolutely stunning with the three dancers looking so beautiful in their simple white dresses and with their graceful moves that they take my breath away.  The close-ups are flawless and the simple spotlight illumination is perfect for this.  I think Flick and Ladies got absolutely every ounce of quality they could from this Dance and it is only just short of a maximum for me so I'm awarding 9.75/10.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

bucksby
I do like the song but it has probably suffered from overplay during the years, although I prefer Easy which only got to number 9 (or 15 in 1988) good to see a routine I didn't expect, the 3 ladies look great in it but overall I didn't find it too exciting maybe a 7 overall. Would have been better with more dancers!

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

I like the song, although it isn't an easy one to make danceable, and I'm told that Flick would have liked to have used a male dancer and devised a duet for this one.  However, the powers that be disagreed and so she resorted to the literal three ladies interpretation.  That said I like the result with the dancers highlighted against the dark background.  The only change I'd have made would have been to the design of the dresses which for some reason, probably the rope like belt, bring to mind the look of a devout religious order!  So a 7.5 from me.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

AC/PD
Curiously, following on from Suefan's mention of Floid being up for a duet consideration, this routine is effectively a Ruby Flipper semi-reunion.
Pure chance or a conscious decision for this 'ladies times three' number?
By benching Supernature participants Rosemary and Gill, I favour the latter.
Even at half-capacity, Legs & Co. provide the elegant expressiveness relevant to this truncated and divisive love song.
The simple white dresses, nicely lit and set against a black background catch the eye and compliment the number accordingly.
Great to hear that this turned out to be not the 'mixture' version already on the blog, but a pure one of pure 'Legs' , excluding the group and was a pleasant surprise to the OFTD's veterans.
Shame that any routines numbering less than four dancers result in DOTD becoming null and void : the main middle lady would have been my choice.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Well thank goodness for the powers that be, im really glad the resident go-to-boy wasn't used on this.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Andeebee
I'll give this a nice big 9 from me, shame bout DOTD - Sue was for me

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Funny that "the Ruby revival" has been mentioned, as this is was exactly what I thought when watching this on Wednesday.

This is definitely a piece of elegance and class, yet I prefer the Christmas routine with two times the three times a lady personally.

Score: 8

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Gorgeous Daze
We had the 'Sex Thing' earlier on, now they give us the 'Love Thing'. The dresses are plain and simple, emphasizing the song's sentiment that the lady is loved for what she is rather than for more physical reasons. It's one of those routines that is most fundamentally a dance. So as someone with little knowledge about dancing and its lexicon it's among the more challenging for me to discuss. I like and admire what I see very much, but it's hard to avoid falling back on staple words such as 'beautiful', 'elegant', 'graceful', 'sensitive', and their close relations. I suspect I'm not alone in this difficulty!

The song is one for the ladies, but watching this dance I would go as far as to say that it became moving for me. A sure sign that these ladies have grown ever closer to my heart these last two years.

8.5/10

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Andeebee
the correct routine will be up tomorrow
Hopelessly Devoted to Sue

Stu

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Stu
All very nice, but nothing to set the pulse racing too much here, and I was inclined to give it a five, but the girls look so elegant and beautiful, and that's got to be worth an extra mark.

6/10

Stuey

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

I really try and make it my business not to make comments on folks ratings etc, because its good of them to take part and submit them. But really AG, 2 out 10 for this beautiful performance is way to low.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

Adorable Gillusion
I think my score pretty much reflects what I got out of this routine....basically nish.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

L&C4me
10/10 - DOTD Patti

Three times a lady - Lionel Richie

I hope you can excuse me for being a bit soppy here.
There is so much of this Legs & Co routine and video that is poignant for me.

If you can say the words in these lyrics about a partner with a true heart with conviction then you've probably had and developed a very happy relationship. What better things could you say to someone you care about to help them feel warm and complete.

The video shows the band travelling in luxurious, exotic Daimler limousines. I served my apprenticeship with Daimler and Jaguar and this gorgeous serene limousine was the last vehicle I got my hands into for them. Wonderful!

I'm so pleased that Flick was overruled by the BBC on the male dancer issue for this one. She then provides us with a luxurious and exotic feast with her triumvirate of angels. I love it when I see Lulu & Sue dance together, there is always something extra in it. Patti is quite exquisite and I delight in her performance. So the Lulu & Sue  team joined with Patti is quite a treat for me.

Lulu, Sue & Patti dance with serenely sweet elegance and respect to the words I feel so deeply for about my late wonderful wife. This Daimler is the last vehicle she traveled in. The routine performed the day after she departed 32 years later. The words mention "coming to the end of our rainbow" and are quite fitting. They couldn't have done it better!
Jim

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

PattiForPM
100% see your point L&C4Me.  It's powerful when a song and performance hit home like this.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

A very nice write up L&C4me. Just a quick reminder that DOTD is not available on `Legs & Co` routines that includes only 4 dancers or less. This ruling does not apply on PP/RF comments though.

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

L&C4me
This post was updated on .
Thanks PattiForPM and RYAN. I acknowledge and thank you for your reminder Ryan, but I put the DOTD in as much for my own satisfaction and formatting reasons, so please feel free to disregard it. I also couldn't help myself but to acknowlege Patti's demure and lovely performance.
Jim

Re: THREE TIMES A LADY (3 dancer version) -- 1978

L&C4me
A few may have wondered what I was going on about with regard to my comments referring to the band and Daimlers earlier. I was inadvertently referring to a different version of the video which included Lulu, Sue, Patti and the band.

Here is the link:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x138ux0_legs-co-three-times-a-lady-version-2-totp-tx-24-08-1978_creation
Jim
12